Just another top mount build? ACF top mount w/ EFR 7670

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Hey guys, first time posting a "build thread" despite being on this platform for almost a decade. Most of my previous mods are on the suspension/chassis up until now.

The car: 2009 E92 335i, auto, had it since new. Spent a lot of effort setting it up for street/road course since the warranty expired a few years back. Won't bother y'all with a long list of chassis mods here, but see the link in my signature if you are interested.

8NPXIqf.jpg

GRatwf6.jpg

The goal: Nothing crazy or record setting here. I just want a reliable +500whp setup on pump 93 that also looks nice when you open the hood. Went with the EFR 7670 instead of the typical precision stuff for its water cooled CHRA and gamma-Ti turbine. Should be a super responsive and lag free setup once I get it dialed in.

The setup:
ACF/VM top mount, T4 divided, twin EWGs, recirculated dump pipes, ceramic coated hot parts
Borg Warner EFR 7670 (~57mm compressor), EWG turbine housing A/R ratio 1.05
Bimmerlife R8 coils w/ N20 spark plugs (gapped them at 0.028" for now, might have to gap them down a bit more, will have to see)
ADV O2 sensor
Phoenix Racing/BMS 7.5" FMIC (I spray painted the core, wasn't a big fan of the overspray lol)
Motiv Boostbox, tuning is being done by @CKI@Motiv (keeping the JB4 as backup)
BMS OCC then VTA for the boost side, just the RB valve for the vacuum side for now. Will try something else when someone releases those metal valve cover.

Finally got the turbo kit from Anthony this Monday. I wasn't able to see them in person. @Sirdaft1 was able to snap some nice shots for me last night. The stuff looks very high quality.

The car is spending the next 3 weeks at the shop. So look out for more updates in the coming days!

XnB1UDU.jpg

e8fO7Qv.jpg

rafRRW5.jpg

8kTdBDT.jpg

9qoMWTR.jpg
GWEAa4h.jpg
U7vnUFT.jpg

Last edited:

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Small problem with the fitment. The longer and wider twin scroll turbine housing of these larger B2 frame EFR is hitting the strut tower.

WDxrYWn.jpg

Few ways to solve this:
1. Raise and/or rotate the engine by adding washers to the engine mounts
2. Hammer the strut tower
3. Cut a notch and weld a panel back in

(1) would probably be the easiest, but it isn't gonna give that needed clearance to fit the thick turbo blanket on. Same issue with (2). So (3) it is. Can't really blame this fitment issue on ACF since I made the switch from PTE to EFR at the last minute, and this top mount kit wasn't not designed and test fitted with the EFR up until now.

Also, there was some missing parts for the coolant line for the turbo according to my mechanic :/ I think they are the fittings for the feed lines to the turbo. Not really a problem, just kind of annoying when everything is suppose to be in the kit.

Last edited:

STE92

Corporal
Mar 3, 2017
Ride
E92
I wouldn’t change the angle how the engine seats at all. How much clearance you need? I would say hammer it in.

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
I wouldn’t change the angle how the engine seats at all. How much clearance you need? I would say hammer it in.

An additional 1/2" at least to fit the blanket on comfortably and allow some clearance for engine movement when the car is getting flogged on track.

Don't really want to hammer that region, since I am bit worried it might bent some other shit around it and screw with the alignment. At this point, we just gonna cut the tower a bit and weld in some steel to close off the hole. My mechanic did promise me it will look nice and not like a hack job after he is done with it :)

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Strut tower mod is done. Just need to seal it up with high temp paint. Clearance is much better now, great job by my fabricator/mechanic.
5d8KDca.jpg

frYpT7t.jpg

Fitment at the compressor side is tight too, but the BMS shorty will fit. Just need to fab up the spacer for it since the inlet for the 7670 is 3.5", BMS is 4".
PRvjofZ.jpg

Heat shield for the valve cover turned out pretty nicely too. We gonna cover it with some additional insulation to better protect the wiring underneath.
2ooKg8W.jpg