Jmantx E92 Build Thread

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Don't be so generous. 10.3 psi. But looking back at the rest of my logs, I'm going to change vacuum lines and wastegate solenoids again. It shows a random spike to 12.8 psi later on. I have no idea how it could do that with completely blown turbos. I also apparently have something wrong with my exhaust. There's only flow out one side.
One exhaust flowing is not a good sign.....stock exhaust or ?

Reactions: SLOWESTN54

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Yeah, stock exhaust. I'll drop the exhaust and see if I can see something in it or the downpipes.
My buddy blew what I assume to be his wastegate flapper out on his Franken turbos and you can hear it rattling around in the secondary cats pretty good and I think he told me makes max 2-3 psi of boost

Jmantx

Corporal
Mar 27, 2022
I started the car this morning to see if it would smoke... And it sprayed oil. I think I might throw some Wuhan war whistles in it for now, go another couple thousand miles, then I should be able to buy some Pure 600s. I just have to keep reminding myself it's a daily, meaning I'm keeping it twin turbo and on 93(for the most part). Who knows, maybe the new Chinese turbos will work for a long time. Then again, with my luck they won't, but hey. What have I got to lose? Considering I do all my own work, I'm ok with changing turbos several times.

• Wow
Reactions: SlowE93

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I started the car this morning to see if it would smoke... And it sprayed oil. I think I might throw some Wuhan war whistles in it for now, go another couple thousand miles, then I should be able to buy some Pure 600s. I just have to keep reminding myself it's a daily, meaning I'm keeping it twin turbo and on 93(for the most part). Who knows, maybe the new Chinese turbos will work for a long time. Then again, with my luck they won't, but hey. What have I got to lose? Considering I do all my own work, I'm ok with changing turbos several times.

You want my stock twins that throw a 30ff ? They make 16psi fine it but I was targeting 19.5 and would then throw the code. I assume the waste gate(s) are shot. 80k on them. Free if you want. You could certainly 'limp' by on them for a few months before you buy quality twins. They just throw the code on a long gear pull on the highway when the dme saw boost so under target for so long. Around town you can go wot and they are fine I only would hit the underboost code on a 4th gear highway pull if I remember correctly.

For all I know they might still underboost and have issues at lower psi target. Off the car two years sitting in my garage. I was thinking of rebuilding them and then selling but I am way too busy. Maybe rebuild them and send?

Last edited:
Reactions: wheela and SlowE93

Jmantx

Corporal
Mar 27, 2022
You want my stock twins that throw a 30ff ? They make 16psi fine it but I was targeting 19.5 and would then throw the code. I assume the waste gate(s) are shot. 80k on them. Free if you want. You could certainly 'limp' by on them for a few months before you buy quality twins. They just throw the code on a long gear pull on the highway when the dme saw boost so under target for so long. Around town you can go wot and they are fine I only would hit the underboost code on a 4th gear highway pull if I remember correctly.

For all I know they might still underboost and have issues at lower psi target. Off the car two years sitting in my garage. I was thinking of rebuilding them and then selling but I am way too busy. Maybe rebuild them and send?
Thanks for the offer. I've got my old ones in pretty much the same shape, so I might just order the rebuild kit for them. I was just slightly concerned with welding the wastegate arm correctly, but I guess if it's not perfect I can adjust the actuator. My problem is that I sold my relocated inlets that came on the car, and now I need 1.75" inlets to use those turbos again.

Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Thanks for the offer. I've got my old ones in pretty much the same shape, so I might just order the rebuild kit for them. I was just slightly concerned with welding the wastegate arm correctly, but I guess if it's not perfect I can adjust the actuator. My problem is that I sold my relocated inlets that came on the car, and now I need 1.75" inlets to use those turbos again.

#n54twinturboproblems

Jmantx

Corporal
Mar 27, 2022
So, I ordered a rebuild kit. I also pulled apart one of my old turbos to look at. It came apart pretty easily, but then again I've rebuilt a turbo before. The parts should come this week and I'll get them slapped in.

Jmantx

Corporal
Mar 27, 2022
Update: I had ordered new vacuum lines and some Amazon solenoids. I figured I'd put them on and see if anything changed. Turns out, it wasn't Chinese turbos that had failed. It was Chinese solenoids. Unfortunately, the new solenoids won't hold boost either. On map 1, it's making 19-21 psi, which I know is rather dangerous. My exhaust is now working perfectly normal. I'm guessing the valve got stuck and the vacuum system wasn't strong enough to open it, since I had a vacuum leak. I'm going to put on my original solenoids, return the other ones, and order new ones from FCP.

TL;DR:
Turbos are fine, solenoids and vacuum lines were shot.

Jmantx

Corporal
Mar 27, 2022
21 is safe, i say send 25
Lol 🤣🤣 I'm on a stock tmap sensor, running straight 93 in 100f ambient temps. Something tells me I'll be playing with ethanol soon. It spun the tires from a 60 roll past 80. Oh, and wider, stickier tires (I know, I've been saying that for a while).

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Lol 🤣🤣 I'm on a stock tmap sensor, running straight 93 in 100f ambient temps. Something tells me I'll be playing with ethanol soon. It spun the tires from a 60 roll past 80. Oh, and wider, stickier tires (I know, I've been saying that for a while).
Yeah not safe.
Forgive my over zealous associate.

Jmantx

Corporal
Mar 27, 2022
Lmaoooo your daily’s now your project car.
Well, yes and no. The daily still has a stock engine and transmission, functional AC, decent paint, and I could reasonably jump in and drive cross country. The project car doesn't have much time before it gets engine swapped, new interior, paint, lowering kit, etc. I wouldn't try to drive it cross country by any means.

Jmantx

Corporal
Mar 27, 2022
I'm stumped. My turbos were making 6-7 psi on my old solenoids. I put in new ones, and now it only makes boost when it's cold. Are Pierberg solenoids junk? I don't see why FCP would sell them if they are.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I’d find a N54 friend close by. Borrow their known good solenoids to verify that it’s bad solenoids and not turbos.

Jmantx

Corporal
Mar 27, 2022
I’d find a N54 friend close by. Borrow their known good solenoids to verify that it’s bad solenoids and not turbos.
I threw my old solenoids that would make *some* boost back in, and still no boost. I realized I did not change one piece of vacuum line, so I'll change that and check. Random thought, is there a chance my vacuum pump has gone bad? I don't have a vacuum tester on hand, but I can get one if it's a possibility.