Jmantx E92 Build Thread

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
One mod i highly recommend is a XHP stage 3 transmission flash with a trans refresh, Transforms the car.
I run that map as well. I really like it. Do you run the line boost? I'm not sure for what power levels that needs to be ticked on for.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Wow. I thought my n54 e60 build was headache until I read your thread. But at least you didn't drag it out almost a year like me. :)

Oh, I have an e46 vert that I wrench on as well. I love my e46. It's so simple compared to the e60.

Jmantx

Corporal
Mar 27, 2022
Wow. I thought my n54 e60 build was headache until I read your thread. But at least you didn't drag it out almost a year like me. :)

Oh, I have an e46 vert that I wrench on as well. I love my e46. It's so simple compared to the e60.
It's not that bad. I got all my issues worked out now. Stage 2 Turbos+17psi+e30=😁
I'm actually about to sell it for financial reasons - I'll make money if I sell it and start over, and I enjoy working on these cars. I just so happened to find an awesome deal on a 135, so I might do that. Something tells me I'll sell it pretty quickly because of the profit I'll make on it.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
It's not that bad. I got all my issues worked out now. Stage 2 Turbos+17psi+e30=😁
I'm actually about to sell it for financial reasons - I'll make money if I sell it and start over, and I enjoy working on these cars. I just so happened to find an awesome deal on a 135, so I might do that. Something tells me I'll sell it pretty quickly because of the profit I'll make on it.
I've been looking for a 135 myself. They are always either ratchet as fack or way overpriced. Or ratchet as fack and overpriced.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I run that map as well. I really like it. Do you run the line boost? I'm not sure for what power levels that needs to be ticked on for.
I enabled line pressure bump cause my trans began to slip 😂. It didn’t slip after enabling it. My car made about 500ftb’s of torque

Reactions: TheFixer

Jmantx

Corporal
Mar 27, 2022
So it looks like I'm keeping the 335. However, I'm planning to move out of state, and I won't be able to work on the car much. I'm kinda planning some ways to make this car unbreakable(I know, it's an N54). I don't trust my current turbos, as the rattle has gotten worse, and I get oil splatters from the exhaust when I pull it into the garage. I'm looking at Pure 600s. I am also going to get a proper custom tune, rather than just having @SlowE93 tell me what to fix. Should I do rod bearings while the subframe is out? Also going to do a new valve cover and gasket.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
So it looks like I'm keeping the 335. However, I'm planning to move out of state, and I won't be able to work on the car much. I'm kinda planning some ways to make this car unbreakable(I know, it's an N54). I don't trust my current turbos, as the rattle has gotten worse, and I get oil splatters from the exhaust when I pull it into the garage. I'm looking at Pure 600s. I am also going to get a proper custom tune, rather than just having @SlowE93 tell me what to fix. Should I do rod bearings while the subframe is out? Also going to do a new valve cover and gasket.
I just did my turbos.

If you want custom one on one service..... consider RBTurbos. He makes them here in the US. Takes a while to get them, but you won't get screwed. I bought everything from him, inlets, outlet, install kit, etc.... all top notch and perfect fitment.

I went with RBTurbos because all the OG guys here recommended them and they were spot on.

For tuning. Use @carabuser. He is amazing. We've been getting my tunes perfected till there's nothing more to perfect. With each version he does it's like....Boom! I would think it's done but he keeps tweaking.

While your under there....

Oil pan gasket
Pierburg Water pump
All oem cooling hoses
**Replace all turbo lines** oem of course
OEM motor mounts
If you haven't....do all your pulleys, tensioner, belt.

I got all that from eeuroparts.com

Your bearings don't need touching. Ever.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Happy I convinced @TheFixer to try @carabuser. The effort that man puts in to make your car run perfect is insane. I’ve gotten up to 3 revisions in a day 😂. And @TheFixer is right go with RB’s they performed in my 535. Cts will warranty your turbos btw. I had mine warrantied and sold them. Oh My Rb’s did have the slightest of wastegate rattle I think but Carabuser dialled that out for me as well. Rob said it was likely a vacuum issue.

Reactions: wheela and TheFixer

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Happy I convinced @TheFixer to try @carabuser. The effort that man puts in to make your car run perfect is insane. I’ve gotten up to 3 revisions in a day 😂. And @TheFixer is right go with RB’s they performed in my 535. Cts will warranty your turbos btw. I had mine warrantied and sold them. Oh My Rb’s did have the slightest of wastegate rattle I think but Carabuser dialled that out for me as well. Rob said it was likely a vacuum issue.
I looked back at the beginning of the thread. So OP has CTS turbos in since April..... and they are falling apart already? Wow. That's crappy.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
@carabuser is great. He's so fast at getting back. Me, I'm the slow one holding him back. Lol

You had WG rattle? I've been hammering on my car hard since I put those turbos in. Knock on the BMW interior wood trim they stay strong. Man do they howl.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I just did my turbos.

If you want custom one on one service..... consider RBTurbos. He makes them here in the US. Takes a while to get them, but you won't get screwed. I bought everything from him, inlets, outlet, install kit, etc.... all top notch and perfect fitment.

I went with RBTurbos because all the OG guys here recommended them and they were spot on.

For tuning. Use @carabuser. He is amazing. We've been getting my tunes perfected till there's nothing more to perfect. With each version he does it's like....Boom! I would think it's done but he keeps tweaking.

While your under there....

Oil pan gasket
Pierburg Water pump
All oem cooling hoses
**Replace all turbo lines** oem of course
OEM motor mounts
If you haven't....do all your pulleys, tensioner, belt.

I got all that from eeuroparts.com

Your bearings don't need touching. Ever.
Curious about your thoughts on bearings? You seem to be pretty confident in them. I thought once my oil plan starts leaking it would be good to do the bearings while it's opened up, just to be safe?

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Curious about your thoughts on bearings? You seem to be pretty confident in them. I thought once my oil plan starts leaking it would be good to do the bearings while it's opened up, just to be safe?
I asked the same question once....

I've been told by experienced members here that bearings are a non issue.

I've searched here and other n54 forums for bearing failures and haven't found any unless it was for oil starvation issues. I.E. belt gets pulled in and clogs up the oil pickup tube.

BMW inline sixes have some the strongest bottom ends there is.

Issues with this motor sometimes are cam ledges, vanos, spinning the hub and misfires.

• Informative
Reactions: wheela

Jmantx

Corporal
Mar 27, 2022
As you may have noticed, this is where I think out loud and consequently realize how bad my ideas are lol. Anyways, has anyone tried the speedtech top mount single kit? Possibly with a BW S257 or even a PTE 5558. Price wise it's not much more than RB 2s+ (considering he told me I needed to buy his pcv/inlets/etc to get warranty on them). I've heard going single is far more reliable and easier on the internals.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
As you may have noticed, this is where I think out loud and consequently realize how bad my ideas are lol. Anyways, has anyone tried the speedtech top mount single kit? Possibly with a BW S257 or even a PTE 5558. Price wise it's not much more than RB 2s+ (considering he told me I needed to buy his pcv/inlets/etc to get warranty on them). I've heard going single is far more reliable and easier on the internals.

I doubt you will find anyone. Those are rather small turbos. ~50 lbs/min or something like that? a 6466 is almost double for instance.

You can find a bunch of flow rates here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-dyno-results/692309-turbo-flow-rates.html

Precision (PTE) 5857 60
Precision (PTE) 5858 CEA. 60+
BorgWarner EFR 7670 64
Garrett GTX3076R 65
Garrett GT3582R (AKA GT35R) 65
Garrett GTX3576R 65+
BorgWarner S362 65+
HTA GT3582R (82HTA wheel) 70
Precision (PTE) 6262 74