Ad: Introducing the PFS POD!

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
This has been a long time coming but it's finally here and ready to go. PFS is proud to announce the POD, or Planetary Over Drive.

What it is:
The PFS POD (Planetary Over Drive) is an overspeed gearbox for your N54/early N55 high pressure fuel pump. Mechanical fuel pump flow potential is a function of shaft speed -spin it faster, get more fuel flow. The PFS POD allows the user to increase the shaft speed 3x, drastically increasing the output capability of a stock N54/early N55 HPFP, and avoid the control issues of implementing Port Injection and/or Methanol Injection on vehicles that are targeting more power than the stock fuel system can supply. Regular price is $1099, intro price is 15% off using coupon code: PFSPODME

pod3d.jpg

What is included?
All hardware needed to do a full install, with the exception of any gaskets you may choose to replace (recommended) during the installation (intake manifold, throttle body, and charge pipe gaskets not included). Details like the phenolic gaskets and our convenient brace push this to the top of anyone's list who wants a simple and reliable means to stick with factory DI control on a high powered BMW, all offered in a convenient complete solution.

• Rail
  • POD
  • Phenolic Gaskets for Fuel Rail
  • High Pressure Line
  • -6 Hose with LPFP sensor Bracket
  • Bracket w/bolts & washers
7 (1).jpg

What do you need from the rest of the fueling system?
For supporting mods, we recommend an in-tank LPFP upgrade with at least a Single Shot 274 LPFP for power levels up to approximately 600whp. Above that range, we recommend at least a Double Shot dual 274 (or better). If you're looking for a complete package deal, shoot us an email over at [email protected] and we'll be happy to sort you out and kick some coin off the total.

Power Capacity:
An often missed component on power ratings from fueling components is air fuel ratio targets as well as timing/boost targets. In other words, if you run lean and mean, you're asking less of your fuel system versus someone running dirty rich, even if the dynos look the same. A general ballpark capability is in the vicinity of 700 whp on quality full E85 using commonly utilized turbos (big aftermarket twins or a single turbo kit) and commonly utilized tuning strategies. (26-27psi, 8+* timing, ~12.0 target AF). Below is 663 on a stock motor with some new high flowing VTT turbos.

663 with fueling 3K.JPG

POD being fed by a PFS single shot bucketed LPFP (out of fuel on the low pressure side):
pod 663.jpg

Here is the same car with a double shot feeding the pod -no tune changes (or adaptation), just pulled out the single shot LPFP, stuck in the double shot LPFP and ran 'er again:
pod dyno.jpg

Aggressively Tested:
As one can imagine, the POD wasn't the sort of product one can throw into production the day after inspiration hits. There are quite a few test units out in the wild, the highest mileage one now with 30k+ miles on it. Proven at the race track, proven on the dyno, and also torture tested on the bench for temperature tolerance -we spun these suckers at very high speed for an extended period of time to learn just how it would hold up if you happened to want to spend a few hours in a row at 5k. Gears are C45 high strength steel hardened up to 55HRC for durability. We're pretty sure your N54 won't make it, but the POD will.

What do I need?
Standard tools to swap out a HPFP and work on fuel lines. Any o-rings/gaskets you'd like to change during the install (intake manifold gaskets/etc.), good idea to put permatex on the LPFP sensor threads and cinch it down nice and tight to avoid leaks. Everything else is included.

Do I gotta modify anything?
The only thing we had to tweak for real nice fitment was the plastic O2 sensor bracket that's now in the way of the fuel line going into the HP fuel rail. If you haven't already broken yours, it's easy to clip off the forward clip and bump the whole bracket forward. No tune changes required to use, but minor tune changes are required to maximize the performance capability of the POD -simply have your tuner of choice use the new HPFP tables in MHD.

How much is my HPFP going to like being worked 3x faster than normal?
The stock HPFP gets a bad rap in the N54 community as the whole fuel system can be troublesome -particularly with injectors. None the less, the typical failure modes of the HPFP have little to do with the speed they're spinning. In testing and apart on the bench we haven't seen any degradation in HPFP life, nor have we seen it in other HPFP overspeed solutions (VTT shotgun, etc.). In other words, best to start with a fresh HPFP and stop worrying about it. We do recommend index 12 injectors, but this has nothing to do with the POD and everything to do with the N54 working much better with good injectors.

How does this compare to good 'ole Port Injection?
We like PI as well as DI and regularly use both. To us, it really comes down to goals and end use for the vehicle. Port Injection is tried & true, but can be a little tricky to implement in a way that's as safe as when the DME has complete control of your fuel system. We like DI only in the under 700 range, with a strong preference for DI only in the 600 range and below. The POD is easy to install, doesn't require a different box, and lets the DME keep everything in line without going through injectors like you're changing socks. Above the 700 mark injector finickiness seems to start outweighing the DI benefits, and PI pulls ahead due to the ease of pushing in large amounts of fuel.

Have Installation Instructions?
We have an electronic format guide with some basic tips to help the install go smoothly. If you can walnut blast or change out a HPFP, you can install the POD.

Package Pricing?
As mentioned above, YES. From a simple POD & Single Shot ready to run kit to Double Shots with external FPR's, we're here to support you. Simply email [email protected] and we'll be glad to help you piece together a complete package.

Chris

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Is this practically the same thing as spool performance helix? The helix lasted maybe 5 k miles for me until the rattling became so bad I had to take it out to inspect it and upon inspection the bearing grease started leaking past the seal. Any type of warranty on this unit?

Reactions: vonhassen

N54TT

Corporal
Jul 21, 2020
Ride
2013 335is
Good stuff. Was messing around with the shopping cart and the coupon code does not work.

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
Looking forward to seeing this being used.

Debating whether I want an overdrive or PI. Haven’t figured my true goals yet.

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
Is this practically the same thing as spool performance helix? The helix lasted maybe 5 k miles for me until the rattling became so bad I had to take it out to inspect it and upon inspection the bearing grease started leaking past the seal. Any type of warranty on this unit?

It's similar to the Spool unit and the VTT units in that all of them overspeed the HPFP in approximately the same way -about a 3x overdrive on most of them, although I think Spool may offer a higher overspeed option. I can't speak to the Spool internals as I'm unfamiliar with them, and the Shotgun has no internals (belt driven). The POD is whisper quiet, you'll get a HPFP chatter at startup without doing the tuning tweaks but even then it's quiet. You can't hear it a bit. It's a well balanced, well implemented option for those who want to stay DI. Little bit of weeping around the seal is not cause for alarm, the rattling certainly is. Again, I don't know what they used, not the gear material or the lube (or seals) so I can't really comment on that other than I wouldn't expect the same sort of issue with the POD.

Warranty is the same as most of the PFS products; year from purchase date for defective materials. More importantly, we are happy to work with people to help drive any problems to resolution -be this fuel pumps, lines, or something like the POD. We don't expect it to last to OEM type expectations -it is a race product afterall, but we do expect to get enough life out of them to make them a great choice for people wanting to stay DI.

Good stuff. Was messing around with the shopping cart and the coupon code does not work.

Thanks for the heads up, it's active now.

Looking forward to seeing this being used.

Debating whether I want an overdrive or PI. Haven’t figured my true goals yet.

I like them both. The POD is easy to install and clean. No additional injectors or controllers to be concerned with. PI keeps the valves clean, works fantastically for higher power targets, and has no moving parts. We like and use them both, not really a wrong answer here. I have the POD on my personal car. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to have PI instead, or better yet both (oh come on now...). :)

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: RuskiRacer

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I've been testing the POD for a fair few months and it has been almost flawless.

The POD is still working flawlessly as I transferred it on to my other car until I finish the latest round of mods to my n54.

It did leak a little grease at first but it hasn't since.

You can hear a little whir at certain rpm but nothing loud and you really have to listen for it.

I'm anal about noise and even a little tick would piss me off so this is a winner.

The shotgun didn't supply enough fuel and double barrel was to much for my needs so when I was asked to try it
I jumped at the offer even though I said i wouldn't do any more firsts.

@V8bait was my tuner of choice and he has been there for me all the way through my build and man can he get things right the first time
with some final teaks to clean things up.

What I like about the kit is that it comes with everything you need that restricts the fuel flow between the HPFP and the injectors.

The support bracket is properly engineered and holds everything nicely and hasn't cracked the vacuum pump and no billet parts where necessary.

The unit is really well balanced and works flawlessly.

If I need extra fuel I would most likely go Pi along side the POD to help it if needed especially with all the advancements available today.

But for most this will be more than enough to make your car reliable and keep the ECU happy.

Last edited:

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
Thanks Marty!

Yes a "whir" is a good description. Well balanced and quiet are important characteristics for gearboxes. It's nice having all sorts of high pressure capability!

Chris

Silentkiller335i

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Good way to copy the helix lmao. You post all this info like its all new findings when this already happened 3 years

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Good way to copy the helix lmao. You post all this info like its all new findings when this already happened 3 years
Helix cracks vacuum plates within a week, rattles like a rattlesnake. And causes all sorts of vibration related issues. If this has those problems worked out I wouldn't be mad at all with another helix style overdrive that doesn't sound like you have a massive issue with the car. Plus spool performance is the most dreadful customer service on the platform they never stood behind there products for me.

Silentkiller335i

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Helix cracks vacuum plates within a week, rattles like a rattlesnake. And causes all sorts of vibration related issues. If this has those problems worked out I wouldn't be mad at all with another helix style overdrive that doesn't sound like you have a massive issue with the car. Plus spool performance is the most dreadful customer service on the platform they never stood behind there products for me.
You’re high as a kite buddy, its the same product lmao, the extra weight and vibration is what causes things to crack. This helix copy will do the same shit. I ran the helix for over a year before any billet bracket was available and never cracked anything on my car.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
We talked about this type of design over 5 years ago on sticky's website 5 years ago or more in the double barrel thread, so its not an
earth shattering new concept.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Hahah ok bud. Gearsets can be made different but you probably know that since your not high im the one who first said isn't this basically another helix. You probably don't have the ability to read an entire thread and just input your schmuck opinion. Every casting quality is different i know some people who broke them within a week to a month and some people who don't have any issues.

Silentkiller335i

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
We talked about this type of design over 5 years ago on sticky's website 5 years ago or more in the double barrel thread, so its not an
Talking and doing are different things, spool did it first and this is a 100% copy. It looks 100% identical, you can always design something that does the same thing to look differently.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Talking and doing are different things, spool did it first and this is a 100% copy. It looks 100% identical, you can always design something that does the same thing to look differently.

Using your logic so a set of pure turbos for instance is the same as stock turbos, they look the same don't they but it doesn't mean they are.

Its like saying a properly balanced turbo is the same as some douche rebuilt and assembled something them selves on the bench in their garage LOL

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i

No sir. Actually I've never seen or touched a helix in person. The shape is going to be similar if it matches the stock vac pump and hpfp, just like the VTT shotgun mounting flange looks the same too. I don't know the internals of the other products and quite frankly don't care, not my product, not my business. We did have a few different designs in the works, this is my second choice. I really wanted to have an adapter for dual pumps, but fitment was excruciating and the custom hardware made the whole proposition ridiculously expensive. This is so much easier to implement and for the target platform audience we think it's a winner.

Yikes, this is pretty quiet. Zero reported rattles, clanks, or vibe issues. I can hear it at cold start up (without hpfp tables) but after that it's a nice little whir.

Yep, been a long time coming.

More options are always a good thing. As stated before, we sell PI and DI solutions, and are happy to discuss the merits of each.

Chris

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Using your logic so a set of pure turbos for instance is the same as stock turbos, they look the same don't they but it doesn't mean they are.

Its like saying a properly balanced turbo is the same as some douche rebuilt and assembled something them selves on the bench in their garage LOL
I'm not sure why someone would hate on something that has already been created but improved upon. I've ran the helix before on my car. It always would rattle for me like obnoxiously loud and at a certain point it became so bad I had to ditch it. Not sure what kinda gears there utilizing, id love to hear a little video of what the pod sounds like at idle. And spool never had any of there billet parts developed it was a sloppy cash grab where they had to then develop parts because they had so many failures. Pfs has a much more thought out ready to go system here. Not comparable to spool at all in that regard.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Its quiet, its like a whirring sound at best.

We have both cars apart at the moment with upgrades being installed so cant take any sound video's.

I would never risk putting anything on my built motor to shorten its lifespan, too much money invested to let that happen.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Its quiet, its like a whirring sound at best.

We have both cars apart at the moment with upgrades being installed so cant take any sound video's.

I would never risk putting anything on my built motor to shorten its lifespan, too much money invested to let that happen.
Yeah whenever you get an opportunity it would be something I'd be interested in hearing

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
It will be April at least before I'm done due to family business commitments as I'm just flat out 6 days a week 12 to 14 hrs a day on most days.

Hopefully another tester will step in a post a video for you guys.