Ad: Hydra Performance Official Product Release Thread

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
I haven't made much of a fanfare about this but we recently released our "Gen2" HP800s in the hope that it will make an already great product even better. Idea was being to offer almost the same performance potential as before, but with greatly improved spool, both transient & steady-state. Preliminary testing has shown these to light up some 300-350rpm sooner - all else being equal. We are seeing 0.5bar @ 2600rpm and 1.0bar @ 3050rpm on a bone stock N54 running 98RON and a 7.5" Race FMIC. This has been done by incorporating - at great effort & expense - a state of the art MHI 11-blade turbine wheel that really moves the game forward, and has seen use in OEM (catted and warranty'd) applications running 275-300bhp per turbocharger, the highest ever for anything ever made the TD04 frame... Pump gas log below, done on a 1M with a 3.85 final drive

Attachments

• 318486476_510626891131444_754332832926373082_n.jpg
    318486476_510626891131444_754332832926373082_n.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 318550763_3441323309481738_3735266513532840113_n.jpg
    318550763_3441323309481738_3735266513532840113_n.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
I haven't made much of a fanfare about this but we recently released our "Gen2" HP800s in the hope that it will make an already great product even better. Idea was being to offer almost the same performance potential as before, but with greatly improved spool, both transient & steady-state. Preliminary testing has shown these to light up some 300-350rpm sooner - all else being equal. We are seeing 0.5bar @ 2600rpm and 1.0bar @ 3050rpm on a bone stock N54 running 98RON and a 7.5" Race FMIC. This has been done by incorporating - at great effort & expense - a state of the art MHI 11-blade turbine wheel that really moves the game forward, and has seen use in OEM (catted and warranty'd) applications running 275-300bhp per turbocharger, the highest ever for anything in made the TD04 frame... Pump gas log below, done on a 1M with a 3.85 final drive

with this post, you will make me regret my hp650😅

chef423

Lurker
Sep 28, 2023
Are these turbos still available? My originals, the seals are going. Need to update them ASAP

chef423

Lurker
Sep 28, 2023
Hi Gang, Omar was very kind in promptly emailing me back....so instead of bombarding him with questions I thought I would post here and then everyone can get eyes on it.

The Bimmer: 2008 N54 E90 w/ 140k miles, bought 6 yrs ago with just under 100k miles

I do all my own work as I have the experience, the tools and good car knowledge to make it happen. (plus YouTube and Forums are always a big helper)

The reason I am hunting new turbos is the fact the OEM turbos have seals that are badly leaking...she is smoking pretty good so I only putt around locally but here next week she will be parked until I get the new parts I need to get her running like a champ again. The motor on the car is very strong and runs very nicely.

Here is the list of re-fresh / upgrades:
Valve Cover Gasket refresh
Boost Solenoids update
All new vacuum lines
Outlets (Turner Motorsports)
1.75" Inlets (VRSF)
Charge Pipe (Cobb)
VRSF Sport Exhaust
MFactory 3.46 Pumpkin w/ Helical LSD
VRSF Intercooler upgrade
Downpipes (Turner Motorsports)
Oil Catch Can installed
New Fuel Pump
New Windshield
Aluminum Radiator
Coolant Reservoir
Index 12 injectors (3 yrs ago)
Pullys & Belt installed
Aftermarket oil cooling installed
Oil Pan gasket refresh (was leaking badly)
M3 front Control/Thrust arms, tie rod ends
Transmission Mechatronics sleeve refresh all seals / fluid change
Motor Mounts
Step 1 cooler Spark Plugs
M3 Transmission Mounts
Blow off valves
Audio upgrade (BavSound)
MHD Stage 2+ tune
HP Stage 3 tune

I may be missing a few odds & ends, but the car has a very solid foundation. She doesnt leak a drop of oil. (just burns it out the back)

With this info, I am weighting the 650's vs the 800's

I do plan on an upgraded drive shaft and rear axels to compliment the new turbos.

I would love to hear and thoughts or feedback. If I go with the 800s, with no fuel upgrade or coil upgrade, will the car lag on the low end alot? Are the 650's plenty of power? My goal is 600-650 WHP with adding E85 or on pump gas if that type of HP is possible with just pump.

Thanks a bundle.

Chef

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
First of all I don't think you are going to see 600-650whp without upgrades to your fuel system ... PI, overdrive, LPFP, larger lines with ethanol mix.

Personally I think it is a mistake to think about the car from a horsepower first perspective - unfortunately the internet drives numbers first. I'd consider what I want the car to do and be in the whole. Suspension and brake work to go with significant power is a consideration, and not cheap if you go with good equipment. This is just my opinion, but I like to think about the car as a whole and the package balanced.

IMHO these cars with WHP in the 500's is a lot of car. Wicked fast and pushing the limits of the chassis, suspension, and brakes. If it is a street car, I would target 500's and run 650's. That's just my opinion. Good luck!

Reactions: chef423

chef423

Lurker
Sep 28, 2023
First of all I don't think you are going to see 600-650whp without upgrades to your fuel system ... PI, overdrive, LPFP, larger lines with ethanol mix.

Personally I think it is a mistake to think about the car from a horsepower first perspective - unfortunately the internet drives numbers first. I'd consider what I want the car to do and be in the whole. Suspension and brake work to go with significant power is a consideration, and not cheap if you go with good equipment. This is just my opinion, but I like to think about the car as a whole and the package balanced.

IMHO these cars with WHP in the 500's is a lot of car. Wicked fast and pushing the limits of the chassis, suspension, and brakes. If it is a street car, I would target 500's and run 650's. That's just my opinion. Good luck!

I totally agree the car needs to plant, stay on the road and brake properly when adding these gains. I should have mentioned that in my OP. But, I am forced to add turbos at this time and with that power, the drive shaft upgrade and axels are not an option. They must be done in order to the power to transfer cleanly.

I agree the 650 are going to be best for me. I'm not looking for some 800 HP beast that requires constant attention and more money for a fuel system etc.

Thanks again for the follow up.

Reactions: fmorelli

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
650s unless you plan to go high flow head and run pump, then 100% spend the money for their ported N53 head and HP800 setup, cams, raise the redline and go nuts.

Complicates things but I think high flow head cams and HP800s are the ultimate pump gas setup, each component really complements the next and sticks with the stock twin architecture.

Omar knows his stuff. Talk to him and he will advise you accordingly.

chef423

Lurker
Sep 28, 2023
Those points you made def give me pause and I need to drill down more. Knowing me, I will want to upgrade the car beyond what I have mentioned.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: seb.apprenti

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Omar knows his stuff. Talk to him and he will advise you accordingly.

THIS.

Unfortunately my car is in storage and not completed, so I can not post #'s and experience first-hand at this point, except to say that my car drives and stops on rails (haven't done drivetrain yet). I did everything else first, drivetrain is last step. I have 650's sitting in the box, with a ported N54 head, valve job, Schrick low-lift cams, HPFP OD, 535 LPFP, twin-disc clutch. My plan was to be right inside of 600WHP at 20psi or less (a man can dream, right).

On the Z4, I really think that's the practical limit when one upgrades the brakes, does the suspension work, and so on. After that I wonder if one can manage the power with the limited shoe size, and unless one has a #sendit mentality, one is really looking at engine upgrades.

Setting a target where the whole car can be brought up to balance is a big undertaking, if one is considering such an approach. For me the 800's were not in the cards ... back to what @ShocknAwe said ... I'd take what Omar recommends to the bank.

Just as an aside, my opinion is successful projects are based on well defined constraints. So picking a target based on how limitations come together is really helpful. Otherwise open ended aspects seem to really get in the way (as if any project isn't hard enough). Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Reactions: chef423

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
THIS.

Unfortunately my car is in storage and not completed, so I can not post #'s and experience first-hand at this point, except to say that my car drives and stops on rails (haven't done drivetrain yet). I did everything else first, drivetrain is last step. I have 650's sitting in the box, with a ported N54 head, valve job, Schrick low-lift cams, HPFP OD, 535 LPFP, twin-disc clutch. My plan was to be right inside of 600WHP at 20psi or less (a man can dream, right).

On the Z4, I really think that's the practical limit when one upgrades the brakes, does the suspension work, and so on. After that I wonder if one can manage the power with the limited shoe size, and unless one has a #sendit mentality, one is really looking at engine upgrades.

Setting a target where the whole car can be brought up to balance is a big undertaking, if one is considering such an approach. For me the 800's were not in the cards ... back to what @ShocknAwe said ... I'd take what Omar recommends to the bank.

Just as an aside, my opinion is successful projects are based on well defined constraints. So picking a target based on how limitations come together is really helpful. Otherwise open ended aspects seem to really get in the way (as if any project isn't hard enough). Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Concur 100% with this sentiment 👌

chef423

Lurker
Sep 28, 2023
THIS.

Now THAT is what I really want to do with my block, but I need to collect alot more cans for that to happen! Great post!

chef423

Lurker
Sep 28, 2023
I am hoping Omar sees my post and will respond when he can. I didn't want to throw all this into an email to him and send it, plus I wanted to hear from the guys that have a passion for the N5x block.