fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
What is the issue with the outlet?
In our case BS. We are building a stainless outlet and ran into a problem with our supplier. Will solve by end of this week. In the greater picture, some great mystery about why an E90 clocked MMP/PSP outlet won't work ... though its unclear anyone has tried it. Willing suspension of disbelief? It's a mystery lol.

Filippo

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I find it hard to believe that Hydra would release his turbos with no solution for outlets. I think the case may be that there are no known 'metal' outlets that work without modification. Silicone outlets do work though - I have them and they have been fine. Maybe I've just been lucky though.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Seems like MMP works ... but ... I'm not doing that twice :).

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
I don't know if I'd trust silicone on my daily driver, that's what has held me up from ordering a set and giving it a try

zaxos_e92

Nov 29, 2018
Ride
‘07 e92 335i
I'm using MMP right now lol. Front turbo outlet keeps on popping off. For some I cant get the outlet to sit deep enough on the turbo snout. I think the issue is that the MMP outlet is very large, made larger and less flexible due to the exhaust wrap I am utilizing to prevent a meltdown. I'm going to try and reclock the outlet on the IC coupler. Hopefully that will help seat it properly.

Edit: my MMP outlets split with my stock turbos, right where the top bend comes close to the front turbo manifold. I was able to fix the outlet with layers of unraveled bicycle gear cable and high temp silicone. So far the fix has worked for ~5k miles.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
It had to have been a manufacturing defect - were they wrapped with anything? I have mine wrapped with chickety-china-reflect-a-gold and haven't had a problem. I wonder if the tape has just kept the silicone from swelling and splitting?

zaxos_e92

Nov 29, 2018
Ride
‘07 e92 335i
It had to have been a manufacturing defect - were they wrapped with anything? I have mine wrapped with chickety-china-reflect-a-gold and haven't had a problem. I wonder if the tape has just kept the silicone from swelling and splitting?
Initial failure occurred with the measly pieces of tape MMP provide. I think the main issue is the outlet OD size and lack of reinforcement in that spot. Gold tape definitely helps. I wrapped the outlet in gold tape after fixing it. When I removed the outlet for HP650 install, 5k miles later, there was some charring on the silicone I originally applied but no failure. I just reapplied two layers of silicone and titanium exhaust wrap for good measure. May be overkill with the hydra heat shield but it can only help with engine-bay temps and IATs

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Hydra had outlets but when I ordered he said he only had 3 left and my vtt would prob work. Prob was i didn't want to go silicone metal back to silicone and they didn't fit good at all. So bad fitment plus 6 extra connections that are chance for leaks not good idea.

bantam

Corporal
Nov 20, 2017
Ride
2009 335i
How are things going with these? Anybody got theirs up and running and have dynos or 1/4 mile times yet? The hp650 is my favorite turbo upgrade in my imagination, but the questions about reliability and overseas vendor support leave me hesitant (headlines coming out of Lebanon don't look good lately)

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I have 8k miles on mine been running for while I actually bought them last November. My car is getting rewrappeed I been waiting to pick it up but I can send you logs or vd . I actually am testing pfs new pump conversion but just waiting on my car. I knew I that was gonna happen to that I'd receive the pump the day after my car left lol. Anyway I can make 24 psi at around 55 wgdc never over 60 and spool and transient Is better than stock once above 2500 and you are always making more power than stock turbos can just they stop climbing meanwhile I hit 22 around 3k rpm give or take depending on the pull.

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
So guys, I know I've been away for a while, been pretty busy with the shop lately, and I finally managed to perfect my outlet design to the point where it meets my standards fitment-wise - but I digress.

A customer and friend of mine put his 6MT E92 335 on the dyno last night, and managed to put down 808whp @ 29psi, running 93oct pump gas + a single 600cc/min AEM meth nozzle. What's even more impressive is that with the exception of the head swap and hub fix (which we did for him), it was entirely a DIY self-built and self-tuned project so Bravo and hat's off to you @marc !

Now regarding his setup, he is running running HP800s, along with the full-beans Hydra-spec N53 head conversion package with Schrick high-lift cams and a Hydra-spec crank hub fix - basically a clone of my setup but with a dual-HPFP, and a triple (!) LPFP setup from Radium Engineering, along with PR coils on a STOCK bottom end with 100,000+mi on it. For the sake of completeness, he's also running relocated inlets and my mk1 silicone outlet design, along with a 7.5" RACE FMIC and a Tial BOV. Decatted DPs with a stock exhaust.

His original intent (before going with my turbos and head, etc) was to run E98 all the time, in order to be able to jack up timing and boost to silly levels, but after running my setup for a while, he actually switched back to conventional 98RON (93oct in the US) petrol from the pump for simplicity and convenience, along with a single 600cc/min AEM meth nozzle in the charge pipe. His conclusion was that the car was plenty fast, and had way more power than traction to warrant anything more as you will see from the video below of him racing a modded Z06 from a 50mph roll (running just 22-23psi on pump+meth)

Now on to the good stuff, first off here is a log of the dyno pull itself:

Along with some assorted pics:

77262393_2377696399210799_6604811204688871424_n.jpg

79353113_522812925227973_7597138556338831360_n.jpg

And of course, the all-important video of the dyno run itself:

I'll let @marc take it from here, and once again great job mang! :D

PS - Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Last edited: