N57 HPFP Failure

PhotoGuy87

Oct 2, 2019
The Woodlands, TX
Ride
2014 535d, 2010 335d
I purchased a 2014 535d with 99k miles last week. First day the car ran and drove just fine. I pulled the car into my garage to keep it out of the sun since it doesn't have tinted windows yet. We hoped in the car to go get something to eat but it wouldn't start it just cracked over so I get out and notice there is diesel under the car. I popped the hood to check out where it's leaking from and find a nice crack in the HPFP that pukes diesel when you try to start the car.

I had the car towed to the BMW dealership on Monday. I had always worried about picking up a 535d because of the CP4 fuel pump but I can't believe the fuel pump let go on the 2nd day of ownership.

Well I heard back from BMW this afternoon and they are trying to decline the claim saying that it's my fault the HPFP failed because they found a small amount of moisture in the fuel tank, there will always be a small amount of moisture in any diesel tank. So after that I called BMW of North America to get an case manager assigned to this case. The representative was surprised that BMW declined the claim considering there is a warranty till 120k. Hopefully I will hear from the case manager tomorrow and get this repair going asap. Here are a few pictures of the crack on the HPFP piston cap.

fn40SA6l.jpg

KnbZRRwl.jpg

The piston cap came completely off and you can see the rusty metal shavings from inside the pump proving that it has been failing for a while now.

43dx971l.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: doublespaces

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Mine died with 1,500 miles at 24k miles. $14k was the replacement cost, covered by warranty. Replaced everything from the tank to lines to injectors. It's a recirc system so the moment there is any shrapnel, everything is tainted.

Best of luck!

Filippo

PhotoGuy87

Oct 2, 2019
The Woodlands, TX
Ride
2014 535d, 2010 335d
Mine died with 1,500 miles at 24k miles. $14k was the replacement cost, covered by warranty. Replaced everything from the tank to lines to injectors. It's a recirc system so the moment there is any shrapnel, everything is tainted.

Best of luck!

Filippo

Thanks! I am hoping that the claim case works out in my favor but what I have been reading online is that a lot of the manufacturers are denying the CP4 claims lately. Most are having to take legal action in order for their vehicles to be fixed.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Thanks! I am hoping that the claim case works out in my favor but what I have been reading online is that a lot of the manufacturers are denying the CP4 claims lately. Most are having to take legal action in order for their vehicles to be fixed.

The simple matter of it being 2 days later? Did you fill up? I can't imagine they will try to pin the moisture on you...I can but I can't imagine that would stick.

PhotoGuy87

Oct 2, 2019
The Woodlands, TX
Ride
2014 535d, 2010 335d
The simple matter of it being 2 days later? Did you fill up? I can't imagine they will try to pin the moisture on you...I can but I can't imagine that would stick.
I didn't put any fuel in the car at all, right before I purchased the car it was at a BMW dealership for the EGR recall and they gave it a good bill of health. The tech that inspected the car said that if it had bad fuel then there should be codes for it but the only codes that have showed up within the past 5k miles were an egr one and a glow plug module malfunction.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
And will they acknowledge that you haven't put any fuel into the vehicle?

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
My buddy with an Audi diesel had a fuel pump failure. They gave him a new engine, lines, injectors, etc.

PhotoGuy87

Oct 2, 2019
The Woodlands, TX
Ride
2014 535d, 2010 335d
Sorry it has taken so long to update this thread, I forgot about it till last night. Nothing ever came from getting BMW NA involved and they pretty much told me they had to go with what the dealer's decision. It took over 2 months for this whole ordeal and they denied the claim because they found algae and rust in the tank which they believe to be from fuel contamination. Almost every diesel tank I have seen has some algae in it because of how humid it is here where I live.

I got the car back in December and have been slowly disassembling the car to tackle this repair, I'm also in the process of repairing my 2011 335d that was in an accident. So far I have sourced a HPFP from a M550d, removed and drained the fuel tank, and removed the injectors & fuel rail. Next I will be flushing the fuel lines, installing the HPFP, and cleaning & installing the fuel tank back into the car. What I found that was very interesting when I removed the fuel tank was that there was barely any algae in there and completely no rust at all.

Here is the current state of my 535d

RhgMdTCl.jpg

TS5Z6k3l.jpg

Reactions: Itsbrokeagain