How to extract and save custom tune for later MHD flashing?

DavN54

Nov 9, 2022
Hey all, hope someone can chime in

Bought a used hand 1M that came with a custom tune. Am going to experiment with MHD, but would also like to keep the custom tune available in case I want to just stick with it if the OTS maps aren’t better.

MHD uses a generic stock file when flashing back to stock, so that’s a non option. They do offer an option to install a custom tune, so whatever the current tune is, I’d need to extract and save the current one in the format type mhd recognises but that’s another problem.

Afaik Bootmod3 uses your current settings (tuned or stock) as a backup/flash to stock option. However it doesn’t support N54 platform.

I’m a bit clueless, does anyone have any ideas?

Zetra

Lurker
Aug 31, 2020
Updated backup wont save the actual tune.
Is not posible to save the actual tune without 3rd Party tools

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
If the tune is locked you're probably out of luck besides what others have said. If it's not locked, you should be able to read it I thought, and save what it read. Granted, I only know of one tuner that ever did unlocked tunes.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
The tune isn't locked in the DME, only in the file that you flash, so any tool that can read an MSD80 can do it.

A clone kess or ktag should be able to do it.

• Informative
Reactions: wheela

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Interesting - when I first got MHD, it had a Cobb tune on it and MHD couldn't read it and I was told that is because of the lock Cobb had. Was it just MHD respecting the Cobb 'security'?

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
MHD doesn't read from the DME it just looks at the current UIF and builds that as the stock file from premade files.

I think BBFlash and OpenFlash tablet would do a proper read, that's why it takes so long. Don't know if they have some sort of agreement not to readback custom flashes though.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
No tool will be able to read a locked tune over OBD, as the calibration address space is read protected. Your only option would be a more expensive tool that can do a bench read via boot access.