Help With Misfire N54 FBO

Daven54

Lurker
May 20, 2019
Ride
Bmw 335i
I have recently installed precision raceworks coils onto my N54 and have been getting misfires Im FBO excluding a cat back exhaust i also have 94 octane in the tank

Attachments

• May 20, 2019 First Run.csv
    37.8 KB · Views: 56
  • May 20, 2019 Second Run.csv
    29.4 KB · Views: 46
  • May 20, 2019 Third Run.csv
    12 KB · Views: 44

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Welcome. You might look at uploading these to https://datazap.me/ ... makes it easier for anyone to take a look.

What have you done thus far to determine what's going on? For example, are the plugs new? If so how were they gapped? Did you torque the plugs on install? Did you clean the shafts before installs so the plug seat correctly? Did you check your installation and make sure all the coils and properly seated? Etc ...

Filippo

Daven54

Lurker
May 20, 2019
Ride
Bmw 335i
Welcome. You might look at uploading these to https://datazap.me/ ... makes it easier for anyone to take a look.

What have you done thus far to determine what's going on? For example, are the plugs new? If so how were they gapped? Did you torque the plugs on install? Did you clean the shafts before installs so the plug seat correctly? Did you check your installation and make sure all the coils and properly seated? Etc ...

Filippo
I have NGK 95770 gapped at .02 - .022 i can't remember i installed them last season, here is the data zip file ( https://datazap.me/u/daven54/switching-map-4?log=0&data=1-4 ) i did torque the plugs down when i installed them, i didn't clean the shafts but i did use dielectric grease when installing them also when installing them i did notice that no matter how hard i pressed out the coil some didn't click

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
Do you have the first version of coils, or the latest version with the OEM style wires? The first version really took some force to get them to install and click. If you didn't hear a click with those, you might not have it seated all of the way. If you have the latest version of wires, they should install much easier.

Daven54

Lurker
May 20, 2019
Ride
Bmw 335i
Do you have the first version of coils, or the latest version with the OEM style wires? The first version really took some force to get them to install and click. If you didn't hear a click with those, you might not have it seated all of the way. If you have the latest version of wires, they should install much easier.
I have the new version but when i press down i feel a little click then it pops back up, but no matter how hard i press it will not stay down

Daven54

Lurker
May 20, 2019
Ride
Bmw 335i
Based on the discussion here: https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/use-dielectric-grease-on-sparkplugs.3849/
I would bet that at least one of your spark plugs is loose. I had misfires in Cyl 2 with PR and the damn plug was loose - only finger tight when I went to change it. Put in a new one, torqued down to 23Nm and no more misfires.
i did torque them down when i first installed them also have you ever experienced the coil being loose when installed all the way, some click in place and some you feel a bump when installing

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
The point of the other thread I posted is that a number of us have experienced the plugs loosening over time and causing misfires despite initially being properly torqued down. It may be worth to disconnect all of your coil wires and retorque each of your plugs, at least on those cylinders in which you are experiencing misfires.

Regarding your question, I recall that my coil wires all clicked in place just fine.

Daven54

Lurker
May 20, 2019
Ride
Bmw 335i
The point of the other thread I posted is that a number of us have experienced the plugs loosening over time and causing misfires despite initially being properly torqued down. It may be worth to disconnect all of your coil wires and retorque each of your plugs, at least on those cylinders in which you are experiencing misfires.

Regarding your question, I recall that my coil wires all clicked in place just fine.
we're talking about he coil that gets pushed onto the spark plug right? because i pulled a coil out and spark plug and when i went to put the spark plug into the coil while out of the car the rubber pushes spark plug back out, i can feel it click and when i move the spark plug around i can feel it touch the metal in the coil but i wonder if it is too tight and not making it seat 100%

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Something doesn’t sound right. Inspect everything carefully to make sure there’s nothing obviously wrong. Then if convinced, install as best you can (after retorquing your plugs) and do a log or two or five.

Daven54

Lurker
May 20, 2019
Ride
Bmw 335i
Something doesn’t sound right. Inspect everything carefully to make sure there’s nothing obviously wrong. Then if convinced, install as best you can (after retorquing your plugs) and do a log or two or five.
Haha ok I just need to buy new plugs and I will drive around and then retorque them but I will also take a video and post it to show you what I’m talking about

Reactions: Jeffman

Daven54

Lurker
May 20, 2019
Ride
Bmw 335i
Look at the youtube videos i posted to try and understand what is happening, i just installed NGK 97506 spark plugs with a .022 gap i will post a log later this week

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Dielectric grease can mute that sound. You should feel a positive connection made when you press down.

Filippo

works

Private
Mar 1, 2018
Ride
135i
Where are your misfires at? If bank2 and cyl5-6, you might be in the unenviable position of having a noisy dual mass flywheel which causes phantom misfire codes. I'm in the midst of troubleshooting misfires on mine, next up are new Delphi coils, then a crank position sensor replacement (this is the sensor whose signal get's distorted by DMFW vibration and causes the misfire code) and then if nothing else a SMFW "upgrade".

ELDRIFTO

May 27, 2019
Ride
2008 335xi
I've just obtained an 08 335xi. I've put in new matching coded injectors, Factory Bosch plugs and new eBay coil packs. The car is stock except for previous owner cold air intake stuff. It runs perfect except for cylinder number 5 misfires. I swapped the plugs with number 4, (because it's easy to get to) without even cleaning the plugs and the car runs perfect with no codes until I let it warm up or idle.

I'm not new to Turbo Motors or boosted ignition troubles but I am new to direct injected Motors. I'm trying to read before I try some leak down test although it doesn't seem at all like cracked ringlands, cracked rings or stuck rings. At first I was thinking a leaky valve seal is oil fouling the plug .. Any more info on the cylinder 5 6 crank position sensor suspect?

First post, nice place, thanks, Joe

Daven54

Lurker
May 20, 2019
Ride
Bmw 335i
Dielectric grease can mute that sound. You should feel a positive connection made when you press down.

Filippo
To be honest I do for some but others I feel it pops back up, if you watch the video I’ve posted you can see what I’m talking about