Has anyone installed the Vargas shotgun yet?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
After getting the pump mounted and the fuel and coolant lines done so basically the "last" step was getting the belt on. I was under the impression that the kit would come would a slightly longer belt to accommodate for the extra pulley... I saw its noted that the stock belt included will work. While I see that yes it can work, I think it should include a longer belt that would be a better fit so you don't have to max out the tensioner in order to get the belt on. I was very close to having it on when I heard something snap, thought it was my breaker bar ended up being the tensioner itself if that's shows you how much tq is needed to get this belt on. New tensioner ordered and I'll be on the hunt for a longer beltand pn# for anyone else that would want to use it.
So I was doing some research on this point. I have some possible suggestions on belt size, though don't take my commentary as gospel as I've not tried this out (couch expert thus far!)

We'll be installing the single barrel on my Z4 35i in the next month. My single barrel kit arrived with a Contitech 7K1860 belt, which is correct for E90, but at least according to RealOEM the E89 runs a 7K1470 belt. BTW as a side note, this is life with the E89 ... lots of stuff is almost like the E82 or E90 cars, but not quite, so I'm ok with that.

So generally speaking, the way to read that part number 7K1860 is that the belt is 7 ribs and 1860mm. Now ... this is not always quite right from my research. Sometimes it is a downsize. The 7PK1870 belt is actually listed as 1865mm. Here's such a belt. As I understand it this belt will give you another 5mm in length (0.21") which is not much, but might be enough to bring the tensioner back some.

For the E89, in my case, I'm looking at picking up the 7PK1475 (found here) which is a true 1475mm, also giving me an additional 5mm (0.21").

@Tony@VargasTurboTech good idea or bad one?

Thanks in advance?

Filippo

p.s Some belts are listed with a "K", some with a "PK". I've not been able to discern any difference from research. They seem interchangeable but if anyone knows the difference I'd love to know.

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
We do not include a stock belt. We include a belt that is longer than stock. The stock belt actually works fine, but you have to deflect the tensioner a little more. The longer belt which is included is the perfect fit. If you are not used to changing these belts. To put is mildly. It sucks. If you do not have the proper tool you have a 50/50 shot of stripping the tensioner making it unusable unless it’s replaced. That 50/50 goes to 70/30 or higher if someone has changed it before and started stripping the tensioner. I’ve changed the belt on N54’s hundreds of times, I know exactly how to do it, and I still usually have one my my techs help me. This is the the main reason we started including a longer belt. To reduce the odds of stripping the tensioner.

Reactions: Shane303

135boost

Corporal
Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Ride
135is
like Tony said, proper tools, proper patience , no any problem, roll that belt on right order over pulleys and don`t use eccessive force
and it should work fine to get everything on place without braking anything.

Edson

Private
Mar 3, 2017
Ride
08 335i
I picked up the car Wednesday from bmw for the recall, filled up with full tank e85 and my hpfp is at a healthy value, I’m going to get tuned next week and will post logs afterwards. I think I’ll have to get a stage 3 lpfp since my stage 2 pump is reaching its limit. Very happy with purchase so far!

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
We include the 7PK1860 belts because factory belt size which was confirmed by BMW, and World Pac is 7PK1855 we went 5mm over on the belt to give you some extra room. The last thing you want is to go too long, the tensioner will not generate enough force, as the spring is not deflected enough, and you risk belt slippage. What you do NOT want

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
We include the 7PK1860 belts because factory belt size which was confirmed by BMW, and World Pac is 7PK1855 we went 5mm over on the belt to give you some extra room. The last thing you want is to go too long, the tensioner will not generate enough force, as the spring is not deflected enough, and you risk belt slippage. What you do NOT want
Thanks for replying, Tony. Not sure if you were addressing E90 or my question on the E89 Z4. On the Z4 here's what I have:
2011 E89 Z4 VIN: WBALM7C51BE383788
BMW V-rib belt p/n: 11287628654 (BMW dealer web site lists this p/n for the above VIN)
Belt Code: 7PK1470 (photo below of BMW p/n and belt code)

Should I source the 7PK1475 since it seems you bump 5mm for the E90 belt? The 1860 belt will let me run like 8 or 9 HPFPs belt drives ... which might just do the trick, actually :).

Thanks again,

Filippo

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 11.51.17 AM.png

DR-JEKL

Private
Jan 16, 2017
I picked up the car Wednesday from bmw for the recall, filled up with full tank e85 and my hpfp is at a healthy value, I’m going to get tuned next week and will post logs afterwards. I think I’ll have to get a stage 3 lpfp since my stage 2 pump is reaching its limit. Very happy with purchase so far!

What turbo setup do you have? I'm unsure if I should do a single shotgun kit in conjunction with installing my VTT GC lites since everything will be outta the way... I plan to run E30-E50 (currently have a stage 2 LPFP)

Edson

Private
Mar 3, 2017
Ride
08 335i
I have rb turbo next gens, I’m getting my car ready for a single turbo. I wish I had done this when I did the turbos, I think it would’ve been easier with the subframe out of the way.

DR-JEKL

Private
Jan 16, 2017
Hmm yeah...

Just the one thing holding me back is if something was to go wrong when installing new turbos along with new sump gasket m3 steering rack new clutch etc etc just makes diagnosing the issue a tad difficult with so much going on. once new turbos are in tuned and established everything is ok and the shotgun was installed and was for example making a weird noise weird had a fuelling issue you'd have an established baseline already... (oh and cost is another biggy I've shelled out a decent amount of coin for my turbo upgrade..)

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi
good info here. Will be referencing my clients build to this for any questions. We have a 6MT so no hoses to cut, BUT we still run a stock Airbox with a Dinan cover/snorkel air filter. This may pose some issues as its already very crowded with the Vargas inlets.

Turby

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Kcmo
good info here. Will be referencing my clients build to this for any questions. We have a 6MT so no hoses to cut, BUT we still run a stock Airbox with a Dinan cover/snorkel air filter. This may pose some issues as its already very crowded with the Vargas inlets.
The shotgun kit shouldn't interfere with your inlets or airbox, everything mainly sits at the bottom driver side of the motor.

Edson

Private
Mar 3, 2017
Ride
08 335i
I have vrsf relocation inlets, mmp outlets and am 6 speed, only line you have to cut is the coolant line

TSRfast

Lurker
Feb 6, 2018
Ride
335xi
I have a 2008 335xi 6MT Are there any clearance issues with the Xdrive? the front diff is under the HPFP... From what I see I think its high enough to not be an issue. Love this set up. Be nice to see a pic of the double barrel set up

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
I want to add to this..

I assume the kit comes with instructions, but does it have a XI version? Or is installation on a XI and RWD pretty much the same? May be pulling the trigger on this soon.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Then he has you blocked or the site is wiggin out. Our blocking feature has been having issues lately, just haven't had time to fix it so that may be the problem.

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
I want to add to this..

I assume the kit comes with instructions, but does it have a XI version? Or is installation on a XI and RWD pretty much the same? May be pulling the trigger on this soon.
Yessir full instruction guide is included, we do not believe the Shotgun fit XI vehicles. The sub frame is different, and not compatible.

Attachments

• Double Barrel install guide_highlight.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 132
  • Single Barrel install guide_highlight.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 126