GS7 program code disassembly project

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Well I picked up the 7.5" VRSF. I am also going to do brakes.

Sheesh, this is a soup of ingredients for this M3 GWS. I haven't had many issues with INA0S but in regards to unlocking more M3 bits, it seems like I am going to need to switch.

I am going to attempt to work through some TCU changes to get better behavior on the street... but on the track this car is a monster. Just need oil baffling, intercooler and brakes. Then a half cage, seats, harness... oh no it's a race car.
It actually works pretty easily, will just take some tweaking to get it good on the street for normal driving and other bits enabled. I have no doubt it's great on the track, high pedal is all there, it's the lower pedal/auto shifting parts that need some help.

The only parts I have are M3 GWS, drive logic button and SZL. Things work somewhat well on complete non-M hardware. As bins get more defined, probably won't need M3 anything, just up the modes, keep the sport button and do some tuning so it's not annoying for normal driving. That's pretty much where I started and worked OK/error-free, but normal/XE P1 was really bad and sport P5 was all race, no in-between regardless of shifter position. Drive it in manual like that all the time and it's great. To auto shift well on that config, definitely needs some tuning. I basically dropped the M3 shifter in just to test with the FD only changed in M3 bin and it works very well. If we can get sport program going, I'll even leave it in.

• Informative
Reactions: derekgates

Olza

Corporal
Feb 2, 2020
Minsk, Belarus
Ride
BMW M240 xdrive
Yeah, with gts flash and standard gws we can only have normal and sport mode and define Program in tcu accordingly. So i use P1 and P6 with sport. Just retuned shiftmaps in D P1.
In Z4 flash there are three modes available P1-P2-P3.
We can change default mode, and mode saving. So for GTS flash you will go to P3 directly after start for example. Or retune P2 maps as in P3

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: derekgates and RSL

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
I put that in the video description:

Here is a direct link to the Race Render template I made from scratch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzanp8orpy0saod/tracklayout(gforce,laptime,pip).rrt?dl=0

Yes, it's on my mind. I am going to drop pan, install baffle and possibly a pump like @Asbjorn did... and doing bearings as well. I am at 108K and tempting fate already. Freaking sucks.

Still recommend accusump over the baffle+pump solution, which is not really a solution at all.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Still recommend accusump over the baffle+pump solution, which is not really a solution at all.

Damn. I was going to do baffle when I did bearings and turbo install.... Accusump is really tough to fit in the engine bay. Will see if I can mock that up.

Sorry for this detour in the thread. I REALLY NEED TO MAKE A THREAD FOR MY CAR!

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
@Olza found any test switches that use a manual value instead of logic for setting normal/sport/sport+ have you? DME is full of them and they're usually something like if S_param = 1 (switch) then use K_param value (manually defined), else if S_param = 0, use logic determined value.

Life would be easier if we could at least just set sport or sport+ program active 24/7 manually instead of CAN messages.

Olza

Corporal
Feb 2, 2020
Minsk, Belarus
Ride
BMW M240 xdrive
we discussed already this. there is conversion table for gws level >> program level for m3/Z4
1611342686952.png

in x35 its just P1 from GWS or if "Sport" button pressed P2 (configurable).
used for spirited trigger.
1611342974019.png

logic modes selects for MUEDE (lol) for P1-2-3 M3 or P1 x35/Z4 and MUNTER for P4-5-6 M3 or P2-3 x35/Z4. there many other conditions also for sure.

Olza

Corporal
Feb 2, 2020
Minsk, Belarus
Ride
BMW M240 xdrive
damn i still cant find normal switch for disabling creep. we definitely need to find function description for DCT.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
we discussed already this. there is conversion table for gws level >> program level for m3/Z4
View attachment 48465

in x35 its just P1 from GWS or if "Sport" button pressed P2 (configurable).
used for spirited trigger.
View attachment 48466

logic modes selects for MUEDE (lol) for P1-2-3 M3 or P1 x35/Z4 and MUNTER for P4-5-6 M3 or P2-3 x35/Z4. there many other conditions also for sure.
You're right, we did lol So much stuff going on in the last 2 weeks, forgot all about it. I'll make the changes this weekend and test.

Reactions: aus335iguy

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I tested this on my Z4 and 335i, the Z4 references the table at 0x10F4C. The first cell is drivelogic mode for Normal, second is for Sport and third is for Sport+.

The 335i I could only get to accept 1 drivelogic mode which was set in byte 0x10F5A which is active when sport button is pressed.

Been using those values for the last 6 months and 100% that they work. Drivelogic 6 is pretty obvious when active.

Reactions: RSL

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I tested this on my Z4 and 335i, the Z4 references the table at 0x10F4C. The first cell is drivelogic mode for Normal, second is for Sport and third is for Sport+.

The 335i I could only get to accept 1 drivelogic mode which was set in byte 0x10F5A which is active when sport button is pressed.

Been using those values for the last 6 months and 100% that they work. Drivelogic 6 is pretty obvious when active.
I messed with them briefly on stock setup + XHP, but not on M3. No question on the levels with sport button, but definitely miss anything besides normal on M3 low levels at PT.

I'm going to add spirited to Drive and Manual this weekend and see how that goes.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I messed with them briefly on stock setup + XHP, but not on M3. No question on the levels with sport button, but definitely miss anything besides normal on M3 low levels at PT.

I'm going to add spirited to Drive and Manual this weekend and see how that goes.
Let me know what difference changing that spirited table makes. I assume it's related to the shiftmap selection, there's a spirited driving shitmap which the trans will switch into when aggressive pedal changes are detected.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Let me know what difference changing that spirited table makes. I assume it's related to the shiftmap selection, there's a spirited driving shitmap which the trans will switch into when aggressive pedal changes are detected.
I will. That's kind of what I think too, it's just going to change RPM by moving to the alt shift maps and not actually change shifts, but we'll see. I just want sport program shifts without having to shift at 3500+ rpm every gear for normal driving that comes with high levels.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
BMW's wording doesn't really help either. Spirited is enabled in sport for all. IIRC correctly, Z4 had it enabled in more than even M3. I do think it's more a shift map swap that will shift later/downshift earlier rather than do anything to the shifts themselves. I think that has to come from program mode and/or direct tuning of a lot of shift params, but I will add just spirited everywhere and try to test today.

@aus335iguy when higher level is set on sport button, there is no way to not know it compared to a stock bin.