GS7 program code disassembly project

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
The chart you show has the shift up point at ever increasing rpms

What’s the shift points in the other modes otherwise ?

Olza

Corporal
Feb 2, 2020
Minsk, Belarus
Ride
BMW M240 xdrive
For example, S (D, Program4). Engine Speed. Does it seems like real life behaviour?

1605457113770.png

XE (D, Program1-2)
1605463089896.png

Last edited:

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Pedalwertgeber, but basically used as driver request from pedal.

For sure, XE is pretty low and one is lower than the other. The pedal break points aren't great for the usual non-sensical N54 tune of 100% torque at 5% pedal either. M3 XE is low and doesn't raise shift point until 50%+ pedal, which is pretty much full request on the DME side. Need some realigning between them or use a higher shift map/level/program with higher shift points.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Pedalwertgeber, but basically used as driver request from pedal.

For sure, XE is pretty low and one is lower than the other. The pedal break points aren't great for the usual non-sensical N54 tune of 100% torque at 5% pedal either. M3 XE is low and doesn't raise shift point until 50%+ pedal, which is pretty much full request on the DME side. Need some realigning between them or use a higher shift map/level/program with higher shift points.

Yeah that's all I want.

I took the car to the track recently and the DCT blew me away.

fast lap:

However, in traffic it races itself to 7th gear and sits there. It refuses to downshift without a LOT of peddle... but if you use too much then it shifts down 2+ gears and then the power arrives and DORRRIFFFFTUUUUUU

Reactions: aus335iguy and RSL

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Those IATs on the straight :anguished: ECT looks good though.

If we can get sport program (power button) active in the trans, it probably won't be like that. Sport prog + level 5 (XS IIRC) on 335is bin probably needs to be 90mph just to get to 5th. Only thing you can do without it is level 6, work on request or shift map definitions or shift manually.

In the low modes for sure, can be 7th by 35mph and stays stuck there without a lot of pedal, like you said.

I haven't had time to play with DME side much, but there seems to be more (or different) things in play for M3 bin than 335is.

Are you on INA0S or IKM0S?

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Those IATs on the straight :anguished: ECT looks good though.

If we can get sport program (power button) active in the trans, it probably won't be like that. Sport prog + level 5 (XS IIRC) on 335is bin probably needs to be 90mph just to get to 5th. Only thing you can do without it is level 6, work on request or shift map definitions or shift manually.

In the low modes for sure, can be 7th by 35mph and stays stuck there without a lot of pedal, like you said.

I haven't had time to play with DME side much, but there seems to be more (or different) things in play for M3 bin than 335is.

Are you on INA0S or IKM0S?

Damn! You and @JohnDaviz mentioned IATs immediately. I am running a stepped COBB intercooler and thought it was enough. Maybe I have oil residue in there and need an acetone flush/clean. Otherwise VRSF 7.5 Race?

True... I'd be down with POWER button but from what I understand that is part of M3 DME. Changing level every time I start car really sucks. It remembers M/S mode but not D. I'd rather have it more responsive by changing the tables in the flash itself.

You are exactly right about the 7th @ 35mph. Absolutely useless for me. I get bad gas mileage already, it isn't saving me anything. 😂

INA0S.

Reactions: aus335iguy

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Awesome vid and yeah IATs need attention. 7.5 or nuthin the stepped Cobb was only 5 inches thick from memory

Just wait until I have brakes. December 5th is next event there. :D

Alright alright. I have an old school intercooler. I started building this car in 2014. I'll "STEP UP" (haha) to a bigger intercooler.

Freaking car is expensive.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Just wait until I have brakes. December 5th is next event there. :D

Alright alright. I have an old school intercooler. I started building this car in 2014. I'll "STEP UP" (haha) to a bigger intercooler.

Freaking car is expensive.
I think the COBB is ok for street but dude you’re full throttle for an eternity in that vid 🤣
That poor little intercooler is saying “Kill me now!”

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Off topic but what are you using for the data overlay on the VID ?
Looks like a lot of fun BTW except for the fact in the back of my head Id be thinking this is great till the handgrenade without a pin called a bmw N54 engine decides its time for the party to stop and the major hangover of a billionaires trust account sized rebuild bill is on its way... 😭

Reactions: Begood69

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Off topic but what are you using for the data overlay on the VID ?
Looks like a lot of fun BTW except for the fact in the back of my head Id be thinking this is great till the handgrenade without a pin called a bmw N54 engine decides its time for the party to stop and the major hangover of a billionaires trust account sized rebuild bill is on its way... 😭

I put that in the video description:

Using TrackAddict on iOS mounted with RAM Suction Mount with Glif phone mount, using Dual XGPS160 for GPS and Kiwi 3 for OBD over BLE. GoPro Hero 4 for in camera view. RaceRender used to create this video.

Here is a direct link to the Race Render template I made from scratch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzanp8orpy0saod/tracklayout(gforce,laptime,pip).rrt?dl=0

Yes, it's on my mind. I am going to drop pan, install baffle and possibly a pump like @Asbjorn did... and doing bearings as well. I am at 108K and tempting fate already. Freaking sucks.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Damn! You and @JohnDaviz mentioned IATs immediately. I am running a stepped COBB intercooler and thought it was enough. Maybe I have oil residue in there and need an acetone flush/clean. Otherwise VRSF 7.5 Race?

True... I'd be down with POWER button but from what I understand that is part of M3 DME. Changing level every time I start car really sucks. It remembers M/S mode but not D. I'd rather have it more responsive by changing the tables in the flash itself.

You are exactly right about the 7th @ 35mph. Absolutely useless for me. I get bad gas mileage already, it isn't saving me anything. 😂

INA0S.
They just raise quickly. A bigger FMIC won't peak as high, but take longer to cool down. I assume stock turbos just working pretty good.

Default level can be set in the DCT bin. It can also be set in the DME on IKM0S and does get recalled in CIC, but I haven't gotten it to pass to anything from there yet. Everything is coded as 1M though, which may be a mistake. DSC off can also be set to M button on the wheel in the DME, but it doesn't get passed either. The wheel button logics do not work on INA0S that I've found yet, only IKM0S (with M Drive SZL).

Those things can be set manually though, so the power button is the difficult one and is probably going to have to be CAN since MSD81 doesn't send it, at least that we know about. MSD80 did at one point. Pre-2009 Z4 had the exact same setup for sport button as power button on the M3, just a different pin. E89 Z4s have normal/sport/sport+ and no sport button, so their DME/Kombi/GWS may send something. I haven't been able to get anyone to confirm trans progs on one yet though.

There may be a logic switch to manually enable sport prog in the DCT, but @Olza would need to locate it in the bin, if anyone could. The DME is full of manual switches for testing things, TCU bin might be too...hopefully.

I find INA0S kind of blah on the M3 bin. Not a huge fan of IKM0S on 335is DCT, but it does seem better than INA0S with the M3 bin, aside from being needed for M button.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
They just raise quickly. A bigger FMIC won't peak as high, but take longer to cool down. I assume stock turbos just working pretty good.

Default level can be set in the DCT bin. It can also be set in the DME on IKM0S and does get recalled in CIC, but I haven't gotten it to pass to anything from there yet. Everything is coded as 1M though, which may be a mistake. DSC off can also be set to M button on the wheel in the DME, but it doesn't get passed either. The wheel button logics do not work on INA0S that I've found yet, only IKM0S (with M Drive SZL).

Those things can be set manually though, so the power button is the difficult one and is probably going to have to be CAN since MSD81 doesn't send it, at least that we know about. MSD80 did at one point. Pre-2009 Z4 had the exact same setup for sport button as power button on the M3, just a different pin. E89 Z4s have normal/sport/sport+ and no sport button, so their DME/Kombi/GWS may send something. I haven't been able to get anyone to confirm trans progs on one yet though.

There may be a logic switch to manually enable sport prog in the DCT, but @Olza would need to locate it in the bin, if anyone could. The DME is full of manual switches for testing things, TCU bin might be too...hopefully.

I find INA0S kind of blah on the M3 bin. Not a huge fan of IKM0S on 335is DCT, but it does seem better than INA0S with the M3 bin, aside from being needed for M button.

Well I picked up the 7.5" VRSF. I am also going to do brakes.

Sheesh, this is a soup of ingredients for this M3 GWS. I haven't had many issues with INA0S but in regards to unlocking more M3 bits, it seems like I am going to need to switch.

I am going to attempt to work through some TCU changes to get better behavior on the street... but on the track this car is a monster. Just need oil baffling, intercooler and brakes. Then a half cage, seats, harness... oh no it's a race car.