DIY Fried MOSFET Diagnosis

Danksies

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
NoVA
Damn this makes me want to pull out my DME and check my MOSFET's before buying injectors. I just don't have any soddering skills hahaha...fml

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
Here's a copy and paste from the description section on YouTube regarding mosfet details...

Published on Mar 30, 2017
Quick video diagnosing my MSD80 DME out of my 2007 BMW 335i. Had stuttering and weird DME codes and issues. Codes like 30BB and other misfire codes. Turns out I had a bad MOSFET for Injector #5. This is a quick video to show how to diagnose the MOSFET's.

Here's a link to the replacement MOSFETs:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail...

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Exactly my thoughts, and I don't have to go buying a hot air soldering station just for this...

You'd be surprised the things that hot air station comes in handy for once you have it. Softening adhesive on random things, phone screen replacement, making what little soldering I do have to do a breeze...

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
07 SG/CR 335i / 17 X6 x35i
You'd be surprised the things that hot air station comes in handy for once you have it. Softening adhesive on random things, phone screen replacement, making what little soldering I do have to do a breeze...

I may still get one eventually. The one on adafruit has good reviews. Which one do you have?

Danksies

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
NoVA
Well I read recently that the MSD81 DME's don't run into the MOSFET issues that the MSD80 has? If that's true, great I don't have to worry about pesky MOSFET's. But now I really do have to buy injectors :mad:

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
I may still get one eventually. The one on adafruit has good reviews. Which one do you have?

I got one that looks like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013..._SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=soldering+station back in 2013 and it's been pretty good, uses standard heat elements and came with extras back then, they all still work. I think I chose it for the free shipping lol, not sure how it compares to others but it blows my radio shack irons (gas and electric) and my electric heat gun out of the water.

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
I got one that looks like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013..._SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=soldering+station back in 2013 and it's been pretty good, uses standard heat elements and came with extras back then, they all still work. I think I chose it for the free shipping lol, not sure how it compares to others but it blows my radio shack irons (gas and electric) and my electric heat gun out of the water.

Nice! I have a really good hakko (fx-888d) iron but never got around to a hot air.

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
Dropped off the DME at the local TV repair place today... downside is that they tried to change it to $125 instead of the $45 originally quoted on the phone. I got him down to $100 though. Probably going to order a hot air station and do some practicing so I can do them for fellow locals.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Dropped off the DME at the local TV repair place today... downside is that they tried to change it to $125 instead of the $45 originally quoted on the phone. I got him down to $100 though. Probably going to order a hot air station and do some practicing so I can do them for fellow locals.

My soldering/desoldering skills suck. I know this because I used to own a computer repair shop and I always struggled with DC jacks.

Reactions: screaminfast