Found oil dripping from OCC, is it normal?

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Just wondering if this is normal, or a sign of something going bad. After spotting the oil, we took it out, and there was almost no oil inside the can, maybe a tea spoon worth of oil after +10.000km. It seems that oil vapor gets past the incoming hose and runs down the outside of the occ. It is a high side occ, and I never noticed this before. Happened during the span of 4 track sessions or so. I also run the vtt pvc valve (20.000kms or so on the valve).

IMG_20190329_213059.jpg

IMG_20190329_213127.jpg

IMG_20190329_213209.jpg

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Definitely not normal. I'd replace the hose and rather than using hose clamps use some constant pressure clamps just to be safe.

Also any reason you're running without the flapper valve? If you still have a PCV system using vacuum you should be running the flapper. The typical PCV-keeping setup would be to just remove the accordion hose from the flapper and run your own hosing off of that so you maintain proper vacuum. Right now you have your high side set up as if you were going full VTA

Reactions: Asbjorn

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Definitely not normal. I'd replace the hose and rather than using hose clamps use some constant pressure clamps just to be safe.

Also any reason you're running without the flapper valve? If you still have a PCV system using vacuum you should be running the flapper. The typical PCV-keeping setup would be to just remove the accordion hose from the flapper and run your own hosing off of that so you maintain proper vacuum. Right now you have your high side set up as if you were going full VTA

On my car the occ sits before the flapper valve because it was easier to install in this way. Is that a bad idea? Does it explain the leaks? As I remember the installation instructions actually said clamps weren't needed.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
My BMS can leaks like crazy and always has. I've tried tightening the cap, the bottom bolt, etc. I now suspect the hoses *somehow*. Leaks everywhere. You are not alone.

• Informative

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
Check the orings and associated sealed joints. Clean/degrease with a rubber safe cleaner like simple green or dishsoap. Run it and check if you can visually see a leak develop

Zhelyazkov

Private
Jun 23, 2017
Bulgaria
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
My Burger OCC also gets a bit oily on the outside, but no dripping... noticed it recently and still not sure what's going on

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
Have you inspected for excessive pressure/blow by.This will make loose seals more obvious. Compression test for piston blow by or PCV (valve) inspection.

Zhelyazkov

Private
Jun 23, 2017
Bulgaria
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
Have you inspected for excessive pressure/blow by.This will make loose seals more obvious. Compression test for piston blow by or PCV (valve) inspection.
I have the RB PCV. When first noticed this I emptied the occ, there was some oil accumulated, gave it a good wipe with a degreaser and put the car away for the winter shortly after. When I start driving it again I'll see how it goes.
Now after seeing this thread I'm wondering what could be wrong. My hoses to/from occ are super tight. I couldn't remove them when emptying the occ and just unscrew the bottom part.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Alright will do a compression test, and if everything's normal I will just make sure everything is clean and tight and stop worrying more about this.

Maybe mine sees more pressure because it sits before the flapper valve. Maybe the valve is worn as well.

Blown07

Mar 23, 2019
Ride
335XI
Alright will do a compression test, and if everything's normal I will just make sure everything is clean and tight and stop worrying more about this.

Maybe mine sees more pressure because it sits before the flapper valve. Maybe the valve is worn as well.
The problem is the hose from BMS is not rated for oil. There is a thread on that site that I started and BMS will send you new hose if you ask.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus and Asbjorn

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
My BMS can leaks like crazy and always has. I've tried tightening the cap, the bottom bolt, etc. I now suspect the hoses *somehow*. Leaks everywhere. You are not alone.

Which version? We're on V3 currently. The only leak points are the drain plug at the bottom if not tight, and the oring seal between the can base and the top, if the oring isn't sealed properly. Older V1 versions has a flat seal that was much more leak prone as the OCC aged.

Awhile ago we changed the long hose to more oil and heat resistant type. If the hose is weeping and you got the OCC from us just email us we can send you the replacement hose on the house.

• Informative

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
Which version? We're on V3 currently. The only leak points are the drain plug at the bottom if not tight, and the oring seal between the can base and the top, if the oring isn't sealed properly. Older V1 versions has a flat seal that was much more leak prone as the OCC aged.

Awhile ago we changed the long hose to more oil and heat resistant type. If the hose is weeping and you got the OCC from us just email us we can send you the replacement hose on the house.
Does the oil permeate the hose?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Had mine for over 5 yrs. dry as a bone on outside, never a single problem at all. still on original hoses a with worm clamps.

E92-Ghandi

Corporal
Feb 25, 2018
Ride
2010 335i e92 DCT
i had something similar but less oil, converted the catch can entry and exit to AN fittings and never saw any oil after that.
been running like that for 5 months now, it's perfect and clean.