Footwell Module 3 New Coding Help

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Hi Everyone,
I been doing research on how to code a brand new FRM 3 module to my 2009 e93 335i. I have found numerous forum threads, some youtube videos on related topics, but not a full blown step by step for a non-coder person.

Does anyone know how to code a brand new FRM 3 module after installing that could post step by step instructions here or PM me? I don't want to brick a new unit as they are over $400. Carly won't do it and so I have to use INPA, NCS Expert, Winkfp suite, but that is so confusing that I don't want to risk ruining the new module.

All the forum threads are full of bickering and partial this or that instructions all of which have not been verified so it would be good to get an official clean set of step by step coding instructions for the community here and I can post it on youtube to help other too if that's a good idea.

the thought of stealerships charging people $400 for coding this module is disgusting so I would like to help our community and also send a message to dealerships that they cannot hold the monopoly on services and should price services fairly. Yes, there is overhead...but $400 for a few minutes of coding is absurd.

Any help is appreciated.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think there's a few people who offer coding services, I'm sure someone will chime in. Why did you get a new FRM, did you fry yours somehow?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Was gonna upgrade to lci tail lights and couple other goodies.

Steven from NY spoke with me and convinced me to not do it, even though he codes for a living. So I am going to spend the cash o n stage 3 lpfp and update injectors.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I was wanting to upgrade to lci tails also but I wanted to figure out how to use the E92 tails instead of E93. The E93 reverse lights are soldered in and not replaceable.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I was wanting to upgrade to lci tails also but I wanted to figure out how to use the E92 tails instead of E93. The E93 reverse lights are soldered in and not replaceable.

I do not know what that means. I took the tail lights off completely with no issues before.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Tail lights on an E93 are not the same as E92, were you aware of that?

Sure. I am just saying I removed them fine before so don't know what yiu are sayimg about soldering on. There are lci tail lights for the e93. I have no interest in putting e92 lights on an e93.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Sure. I am just saying I removed them fine before so don't know what yiu are sayimg about soldering on. There are lci tail lights for the e93. I have no interest in putting e92 lights on an e93.
The 'reverse lights' are soldered on with the E93. You cannot remove the bulbs.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
The 'reverse lights' are soldered on with the E93. You cannot remove the bulbs.

What reverse lights are you referring to?
I took off all the lights without incident. They are replaceable as far as I can tell. I saw nothing that could not be removed or replaced. Take a photo to show so I can understand. There is the main big light on the trunk rear and the little light connected to the lid. Thats it. Two pieces that come right off.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I am afraid I don't know what you mean. See photo of replaceable lights.
20180322_171046.jpg

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
What is to stop me from buying an LCI e93 rear light set and replacing these lights? I have removed them before so I don't see what the issue would be. The problem would be trying to install e92 lights into e93 trunk. I mean... all you have to do is remove and replace the entire assembly... the bulbs have nothing to do with anything, the entire two giant pieces are replaced completely.
413m7Zp3H+L._SX355_.jpg

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'm not talking about the housings. I'm talking about the reverse bulbs. The harnesses are also different than E92

Nothing is stopping you from buying the E93 LCI parts, but my comment is about swapping the E92, because the E93 bulbs are not replaceable. If it goes bad, you must buy the entire taillight again instead of just the bulb.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I'm not talking about the housings. I'm talking about the reverse bulbs. The harnesses are also different than E92

All you need is to get the harness adapter for ECS tuning, buy the entire housing with all bulbs, code out errors and you are done. I still don't understand what you mean about reverse bulbs. Literally everything is replaced. I would think it is pretty straight forward.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

Go take out your tail lights. And remove the REVERSE BULBS. You can't. The housing comes out, but not the BULBS.

Better yet, find me the replacement part number for the E93 reverse bulbs. You won't find one.

I am not talking about LCI upgrade. The E93 tail lights are inferior, this is why I would switch to E92 if I DID do the LCI upgrade. I would like to try anyway, that is the purpose of my original comment.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
You are saying that the LCI tail lights have soldered bulbs and not removable. I thought you were trying to replace the old bulbs in the pre-LCI...I was like..."what???"

Well, I imagine if anyone is going to retrofit, they will soon find this out and they will say yay or nay and be done with it. It is what it is and if anyone is willing to do it, then so be it. No different than an LCI e93 owner that has his bulb go out and has to replace the entire housing. It sucks for LCI owners but them's the breaks.
All E93 have soldered reverse bulbs. Its only the reverse bulb. The E92 does not have soldered reverse bulbs. They are soldered on the E93 LCI or PreLCI. So why put in E93 LCI tail lights when you can just put in E92 which are serviceable. That is my way of thinking.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Go take out your tail lights. And remove the REVERSE BULBS. You can't. The housing comes out, but not the BULBS.

Better yet, find me the replacement part number for the E93 reverse bulbs. You won't find one.

I am not talking about LCI upgrade. The E93 tail lights are inferior, this is why I would switch to E92 if I DID do the LCI upgrade. I would like to try anyway, that is the purpose of my original comment.

You are not talking about the LCI upgrade, but I was and still am. So that is why I am confused. I don't care about the current tail lights, I am throwing them away so why would I care about the bulbs?

Now, if you are saying that upgrading to LCI tail lights are impossible...I will have to disagree on that. Clearly it is possible and kits are sold for this very purpose.

I don't know what you are trying to do, but in my case, soldered or not, the whole thing is getting replaced.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
All E93 have soldered reverse bulbs. Its only the reverse bulb. The E92 does not have soldered reverse bulbs. They are soldered on the E93 LCI or PreLCI. So why put in E93 LCI tail lights when you can just put in E92 which are serviceable. That is my way of thinking.

If serviceability of bulbs is the issue, then this upgrade is not for you. It sucks that the whole thing needs replacing if bulb goes bad...but no different than an LCI owner having to replace his entire housing. So anyone upgrading should already be aware and accept this fact.

I was super confused..."why is he talking about bulbs when they will all be deleted completely?" Replace the whole housing for a bulb on LCI's? Well, them's the breaks I suppose.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I don't think so. I think there is a chance the E92 LCi tails can be used, hence my comment. Also, you can get the aftermarket tails for like 450 bucks.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
It is impossible to put e92 lights on an e93. That's even worse scenario than the light bulbs situation you were talking about.
They have slightly different form factors and do not fit in the receptacles.