N54 Flash IKMOS on your non IKMOS car 1M on a non M car

tony@codewerx

Corporal
Apr 1, 2017
Ride
E92
So, I just tried this yesterday. Put JB4 (old board) on map 0 to flash with MHD and a bimmergeeks cable. First drive, ran fine for a few moments, and then started to judder violently at low RPMs after leaving neighborhood - below 3k. Get on the throttle any amount after that, and the throttle pedal was disabled entirely. Had to re-start the engine to re-enable. Loads of codes were logged: CDBD, 2D59: "DME internal failure: control actual torque??", 2D5A: Control motor torque limitation, 2FA3: Coding Missing. I reset a load of adaptations with my BT tool and it now it's no longer disabling the throttle, but: 1) The low RPM judders are still noticeable (when trying to maintain a speed like 5-20 mph), 2) seems to hesitate going to full boost at low RPMs. I believe it's still throwing torque limitation codes.

I like the throttle response, except the lack of low end torque and the juddering. I'd imagine flashing back to stock and applying linear throttle would be nice. Though are the normal MHD OTS tunes about the same as IKM0S? Is MHD actually fixing the power class settings?

what exactly did you flash into the DME ? was it ikmos BEF or stock ikmos or .... ?

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Something went wrong on your side. May be a manipulated IKM0S file or something?

I flashed a buddies E91 from IJE0S to IKM0S and it is running awesome.

tony@codewerx

Corporal
Apr 1, 2017
Ride
E92
Something went wrong on your side. May be a manipulated IKM0S file or something?

I flashed a buddies E91 from IJE0S to IKM0S and it is running awesome.

was it a big diff assuming every table tuned on the ijeos was ported to the ikmos ?

same timing, afr, boost, throttle tables etc off the public xdf ... and there was some kind of a big diff ?

bitcore

Sep 21, 2020
Hi, sorry I should have specified: I was using the Good US IKM0S posted in the OP of this thread. I believe I downloaded the confirmed good one after the thread was cleaned up. I've been following the topic for a while, so I'm hoping this is the one without the desensitized knock sensors :sweatsmile:. In MHD, I just went to "flash a custom map," and did not customize any options. Did a full flash, took 21 minutes. US car, US bin. Manual transmission. The first two flash attempts failed to connect and didn't go through to erase any blocks, though it could pull codes and was communicating with the DME. The 3rd attempt worked successfully. Connected to a 10A charger.

I may not have reset ALL of the adaptations required. I have a laptop set up with quite a few coding tools, but zero experience operating the software, so I'm not certain how to use them yet. I work in IT, need to do some reading.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Shouldn't need any resets, I switch between INA0S and IKM0S without touching anything. Pump gas? Driving with JB4 in 0 too or is it set on a map? Menu 4/2 or 4/3? Try it with JB4 in map 0 or 4 and see if still acts up.

bitcore

Sep 21, 2020
Pump gas, 93 octane. The initial test was in map 0. After I reset adaptations where it started behaving better, I did try map 1 and 2 - they seem to function just fine as well as map 0. No downpipes, just an FMIC + charge pipe. Just to be clear, it's an 09' 135i with an MSD81, had IJE0S on it. Single owner (nobody else has touched software except dealer). Externalized RB PCV as well for some time, replaced starter about a month ago and also tapped and plugged the head ports while I was there, so that's finally done.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I think it's going to be something with JB4, just not sure what. If you want to be sure, do a full 40 minute write, but IKM0S has way different request than any other roms, torques are somewhat different etc.

I'd pull the JB4, just to be sure, it's never not in the loop as much as people like to believe it. I'd run 0 or 4, set all menu options to default, especially 4/3 and 10-12 to something reasonable. That should have JB4 follow DME request and set the pedal/WG to sane levels. I haven't touched a JB4 in years, so haven't kept up, but want to take as much control away from it as you can and set reasonable values for those you can't.

If it's only a problem at low pedal, it's almost certainly something to do with IKM0S request and what JB4 is doing with it. You may consider an IKM0S BEF if you're going to keep the JB4 in, they do weird workaround stuff in them to use with JB4.

bitcore

Sep 21, 2020
I reverted back to IJE0S, but used tunerpro to zero out the throttle tables - this was my primary goal anyway. I'm not trying to push the motor hard, merely wanted to improve driveability. My JB4 may be too old, It's probably a G2 or G3 board - does not support BEF. I did not bother to test without the JB4. Like you said, RSL, I believe the options 10 through 12 may have helped some of the low RPM low load surging, but I never bothered to check. I may update later if I get the bug to play with it more.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
I reverted back to IJE0S, but used tunerpro to zero out the throttle tables - this was my primary goal anyway. I'm not trying to push the motor hard, merely wanted to improve driveability. My JB4 may be too old, It's probably a G2 or G3 board - does not support BEF. I did not bother to test without the JB4. Like you said, RSL, I believe the options 10 through 12 may have helped some of the low RPM low load surging, but I never bothered to check. I may update later if I get the bug to play with it more.

Are you DCT or manual?

bitcore

Sep 21, 2020
6MT for life! I need that clutch pedal to feel complete.
Doing some outside reading, seems that other settings in the ECU need to be set - my guess is that MHD isn't doing these settings. (power class, and maybe a couple of other settings). I only purchased the custom flash option, none of the other maps or features.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
6MT for life! I need that clutch pedal to feel complete.
Doing some outside reading, seems that other settings in the ECU need to be set - my guess is that MHD isn't doing these settings. (power class, and maybe a couple of other settings). I only purchased the custom flash option, none of the other maps or features.
nice mate, im running IKM0S on my 335i E92 with DCT.
Car feels good, but some surging on the throttle every now and then, but i believe i have other issues at play (Leaking injectors/O2 sensors etc)

im keen to find out if anyone has Zero'd out the DCT throttle tables and see how it drives.

the power class 2A4F error that we would get is apparantly handled by MHD now and by passed. so should be good, but Petes thread puts its all out in the open for everyone.

should be good to read that, unless you already have

bitcore

Sep 21, 2020
Hi,
Yes I've had a read of that epic thread. For me, it did not seem to work properly at all and my throttle pedal kept getting disabled. I did this with latest MHD app when I posted, just last week actually. My guess is the JB4 being attached caused a problem.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
More thn likely,
Ive just loaded the IKM0S tune on mine as a Custom flash and left it as is for the last few months, im considering getting JB4 again and utilising the IKM0S BEF to see what the result is, but thats not a priority for me right now.
Once i have some free time and so on, my priority sits with Turbo replacement and possibly checking leaking injectors.

tony@codewerx

Corporal
Apr 1, 2017
Ride
E92
Hi,
Yes I've had a read of that epic thread. For me, it did not seem to work properly at all and my throttle pedal kept getting disabled. I did this with latest MHD app when I posted, just last week actually. My guess is the JB4 being attached caused a problem.
What did you set in the torque limit tables ?

tony@codewerx

Corporal
Apr 1, 2017
Ride
E92
Limit 2048, throttle sensitivity related surging, surging at lean cruise and per above oil level reading. Though the oil level thing I was idle if in a steep hill waiting for a ferry and read normal straight after. It seamed as though the oil came on prematurely and it could be that IKMOS samples more regularly ?
When porting the tune over from ijeos - make sure the axis isn’t inverted.

Reactions: aus335iguy

tej98

Lurker
Dec 20, 2021
Sorry for the thread bump, but I have tried this on my IJE0S car and the initial custom flash works with the stock 1M US bin. However, when using the "generate updated stock file" option MHD appears to generate the stock IJE0S bin instead. Flashing OTS tunes on top of the IKM0S also wants to do a full write and revert to IJE0S. Has anyone else noticed similar behavior or is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
If you flashed a stock IKM0S, I don't know why you'd need a backup generated.

I've never used OTS, but seems MHD is using original ZB lookup for that also. I'd assume, if you want to keep IKM0S then, you'll need to tune it yourself and continue to custom flash in lieu of OTS.

Reactions: tej98

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
If you flashed a stock IKM0S, I don't know why you'd need a backup generated.

I've never used OTS, but seems MHD is using original ZB lookup for that also. I'd assume, if you want to keep IKM0S then, you'll need to tune it yourself and continue to custom flash in lieu of OTS.
I think the backup bin is what you’d send to your tuner for custom work

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I think the backup bin is what you’d send to your tuner for custom work

He can send a copy of the stock IKM0S that he flashed. An IKM0S updated backup would/should be no different than that, except for maybe VINs. There are only two 1M ZBs (Euro/NA), unlike IJ and others that probably have 10+ revisions, plus regionals, where you'd want to work in the exact one MHD installs itself for the car.

If you manually flash a different rom family though (like IK), tune on the same stock bin that you initially flashed and you're good to go with short custom flashes on the tuned bins (calibration only).

It seems the backup bin option also produced a IJE0S bin instead of the IKM0S.
If it works the same as WinKFP and 99.9% chance it does, it's not looking at the current rom (IK) to determine which ZB to use, but the factory or last written UIF, which is IJ. Doing anything with stock map options in MHD is going to get you IJ because that's what your car is supposed to have according to BMW.

If you change rom families yourself that aren't in the history chain for the car, MHD obviously can't see that as a stock option for the car because it's not.

Reactions: tony@codewerx