N54 Flash IKMOS on your non IKMOS car 1M on a non M car

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Yep. I felt the same sensation on the stock IKMOS tune. I stuck with my Bq ported tune for a while (which doesn’t have this characteristic)
I recently flash OTS and noticed it again. Clicked linear throttle and nope similar/same again

Then all of a sudden I’m on the highway and roll on the throttle and BAM! Power died, CEL active. Pull over and car felt like it had a significant issue and wouldnt idle. I scan for codes and got the following
2D59 - DME: DME, internal fault: monitoring, actual torque.
2D5A - DME: Monitoring engine torque limiting.
2FA3 - DME: No coding.
Switched the car off and in again and it was back to normal.
Flashing back to stock for a while till I sort it out. Talking to @RSL and he reckons I hit 2048 limiter

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Yep. I felt the same sensation on the stock IKMOS tune. I stuck with my Bq ported tune for a while (which doesn’t have this characteristic)
I recently flash OTS and noticed it again. Clicked linear throttle and nope similar/same again

Then all of a sudden I’m on the highway and roll on the throttle and BAM! Power died, CEL active. Pull over and car felt like it had a significant issue and wouldnt idle. I scan for codes and got the following
2D59 - DME: DME, internal fault: monitoring, actual torque.
2D5A - DME: Monitoring engine torque limiting.
2FA3 - DME: No coding.
Switched the car off and in again and it was back to normal.
Flashing back to stock for a while till I sort it out. Talking to @RSL and he reckons I hit 2048 limiter
Thanks for the info.
I havent received any CEL, however as i said i am stock except for the Intercooler, so i think i will be ok.
The vehicle is feeling better as i drive her, so definately adapting in a way.
I have a friend with access to a 1M locally, so will arrange to get his Stock 1M and then also compare that file to the EU file. will be interesting to note the differences.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I don't know which bin was flashed, but the 2 @aus335iguy posted are stock. IKM0S works on DCT out of the box, but it is definitely focused for MT (lot of anti-stall, smooth operation on what is a much slower clutching, etc.). If you run a stock one, it might be more noticeable, if tuned/OTS map, probably less.

I personally love the stock 1M normal request tables. It's as close to NA/linear throttle as you'll get and gets rid of that bottom heavy torque all the others have and tunes usually add even more to. It doesn't upshift to 7th by 40mph, downshifts quickly and can actually run 40-50% pedal without 20psi (or any boost). Car/pedal control is MUCH more predictable once you get used to not having 100% torque at 2% pedal.

I find the standing start for DCT on it much better too. No initial dead spots/delays and far, far less modulation of clutches when engaging from a stop while accelerating. I had issues in 1st through beginning of 2nd gear being limited on output at PT though. Accel normally, it's like someone hit the sport button after settling into 2nd and it accelerates much quicker with no pedal change. It's not something basic, like rear wheel request.

Your sport button on IKM0S works just like any other, but does not have any delay or thresholds to enable, like others. On normal N54s, have to back off the pedal below a threshold before it will apply if enabled while driving. IKM0S doesn't have that requirement and will activate directly after a few ms.

aus335iguy's code issue is a problem with the OTS map, stock/custom tune IKM0S shouldn't do that.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
I don't know which bin was flashed, but the 2 @aus335iguy posted are stock. IKM0S works on DCT out of the box, but it is definitely focused for MT (lot of anti-stall, smooth operation on what is a much slower clutching, etc.). If you run a stock one, it might be more noticeable, if tuned/OTS map, probably less.

I personally love the stock 1M normal request tables. It's as close to NA/linear throttle as you'll get and gets rid of that bottom heavy torque all the others have and tunes usually add even more to. It doesn't upshift to 7th by 40mph, downshifts quickly and can actually run 40-50% pedal without 20psi (or any boost). Car/pedal control is MUCH more predictable once you get used to not having 100% torque at 2% pedal.

I find the standing start for DCT on it much better too. No initial dead spots/delays and far, far less modulation of clutches when engaging from a stop while accelerating. I had issues in 1st through beginning of 2nd gear being limited on output at PT though. Accel normally, it's like someone hit the sport button after settling into 2nd and it accelerates much quicker with no pedal change. It's not something basic, like rear wheel request.

Your sport button on IKM0S works just like any other, but does not have any delay or thresholds to enable, like others. On normal N54s, have to back off the pedal below a threshold before it will apply if enabled while driving. IKM0S doesn't have that requirement and will activate directly after a few ms.

aus335iguy's code issue is a problem with the OTS map, stock/custom tune IKM0S shouldn't do that.
Nice to know.
so you say both of those bins attached were stock?
I flashed the EU stock bin. As I remember you said to me the US bin is not stock and was definitely tuned at one point in time (as per the load targets and so forth you had a look at)
If this is the case and they are in fact both stock bins. Then I’ll try flash the US one also.
However. I can say the EU tune does feel really good, will be a good idea to add some addition octane like ethanol just to bump it up I reckon.

the sport button activation is a nice feature being so direct. I really like it. Also noticed that the standing start dead pedal is pretty much gone also.

Please confirm regarding the US stock file if it is indeed stock, as I steered clear of that one for the meantime after your comment to me about it being a high likelihood of it being previously tuned.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I'm not sure what you actually flashed, but the 2 IKM0S bins in the original post here from aus335iguy were stock US/EU calibrations when I looked at them. Whatever I looked at of yours definitely was not stock, the load targets are sky high. It seems like you think you flashed a stock rom, but it's not.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
I’ll have to compare again.
as when I compared the 2 attached files at the beginning of this post there were quite a few differences.
perhaps I checked incorrectly.
Will go over them again.
but I did flash the EU file from this thread.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I'm going to take that back, I just re-downloaded the files to re-check. EU bin in original post is legit stock compared to a factory flashed stock EU rom and stock Ediabas EU calibration file, but the US bin in the original post is a modified calibration with a lot of changes. Not sure where that one was obtained, maybe a BEF, but definitely not stock and the load targets in that match the screen you sent me (high).

So you either moved the US values to the EU rom or you flashed the US rom. Either way, what you have flashed is far from stock and some things done in the US bin are not crap I'd ever touch (reduced knock response on top of reduced knock sensitivity, etc).

@aus335iguy that US bin in the OP should go away until an actual stock bin can be put up. I'll see if I can dig up the real stock US IKM0S I used to flash mine.

Reactions: derekgates

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
I'm going to take that back, I just re-downloaded the files to re-check. EU bin in original post is legit stock compared to a factory flashed stock EU rom and stock Ediabas EU calibration file, but the US bin in the original post is a modified calibration with a lot of changes. Not sure where that one was obtained, maybe a BEF, but definitely not stock and the load targets in that match the screen you sent me (high).

So you either moved the US values to the EU rom or you flashed the US rom. Either way, what you have flashed is far from stock and some things done in the US bin are not crap I'd ever touch (reduced knock response on top of reduced knock sensitivity, etc).

@aus335iguy that US bin in the OP should go away until an actual stock bin can be put up. I'll see if I can dig up the real stock US IKM0S I used to flash mine.
Ah thanks for clarifying that mate.
surely if I flashed the US one then my boost would be hitting the 16psi range according to those load targets?
I’m targeting 11.8psi tapering to 9.9psi.

as I said I’ll recheck the map I flashed and do a compare against the EU file in this thread to confirm.
The only things I changed were:
DTML config byte
Power Variant code checks.
Then flashed the bin file.
was too worried to flash the US file after I noticed the Knock Tables were messed with.

But thanks again. Keen to see if you can pull up that US IKM0S file.
then I’ll also reciprocate and load up the South African 1M file, which I’m pretty sure would very close to, if not the same as the EU file.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
At least it explains where the confusion was coming from. Yes, if you have something flashed with 170+ load targets (screen you sent me), it should be targeting (not necessarily getting) close to 16psi. With overboost add, target would be riding stock ceiling.

I think I found my stock US bin, I'll verify tonight and get it to @aus335iguy to add.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Original files have been removed.I have now added a known good(Checked by @RSL) US IKMOS Bin. If he has some time to recheck the EU one I’ll re add that too.
EU files now re added

Last edited:
Reactions: iminhell1

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Original files have been removed.I have now added a known good(Checked by @RSL) US IKMOS Bin. If he has some time to recheck the EU one I’ll re add that too
Thank you very much,

If its ok, Ive compared the new US Stock bin to my current (base from the original EU file you posted originally) bin, and the differences are minimal:
my current/EU bin
1597311447697.png

1597311971628.png

1597312027471.png

1597312084572.png

New good_US Stock Bin
1597311489587.png

1597311996140.png

1597312041532.png

1597312101448.png

The differnece tool shows mainly Exhaust Flap activation tables and DTC tables as well as cold start durations.

and thats it really.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Hmmm I’m trying to remember where I got the original US file.
If you mean the original US file that was removed from the first page, then you got it from me lol. as i got it from other forums old threads.
Should be in our Private conversation thread.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
@General.Massacre right, not much diff in the basic tuning portions between US/EU, but a lot different in undefined for emissions, diagnostics, lambda controls, etc.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
@General.Massacre right, not much diff in the basic tuning portions between US/EU, but a lot different in undefined for emissions, diagnostics, lambda controls, etc.
I see. I just have the public xdfs so that’s all I have access to as I only checked for defined differences. Unfortunately that’s as far as my current knowledge has me going for now 😁

all4bspinnin

Corporal
Jun 12, 2017
Ride
135i TT
Are you sure that both maps are 100% the actual EU/US Stock Maps?

I am no tuner but they are completely different to me. US Map targets way more Load and also knock sensors are desensitized more than in the EU Map. US Map targets a tad leaner AFR in the high Load/RPM Range. And of course much much more.

But Load Target and Knock Sensitivity seem to be a significant difference to me.

EU
View attachment 41351
View attachment 41349
US
View attachment 41352
View attachment 41350

There is also a ton of undefined tables that differ between each other as long as you only have the standard IKM0S XDF.

That US knock sensor setup is incorrect. The knock sensors are the same between IJ, IK-US, and IK-EU. That setting of 3.0 is an aftermarket tune.