Fabbed some vacuum canisters. . .

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
www.spoolnmotorsports.com
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Figure id share my vacuum canisters. Please dont criticize my welds too much, am a hobbiest welder lol. Anywho, figure id fab some vacuum canisters since i gotta move them for my new setup. Still need to find a place to mount them but need my mmp stage 3 and inlets to come first
20170329_153836.jpg
20170329_153829.jpg

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
You'll never have to worry about them again! Throw some powder on those bad boys and you're golden!

What kind of welding setup do you have?

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Thanks, and they are put there for a reason, and I intend to keep that reason (mainly buffer). Plus, I like fabbing and love having one off items on my car lol. Makes it more unique

i hear you. i just always wonder why people even keep them. Tested with and without them for some time. Made no difference in having them. So i deleted them both. Shortened all the lines. and converted to running everything off of one single boost control solenoid instead of two. Cleaner look and better response.

Does look good though bud. good work.

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
I would LOVE to delete them and use one solenoid, I HATE clutter, however I do believe in BMW's engineering and therefor hence why their staying haha. Can I have pics of said setup? And thank you. Next on the list is a improved catch can setup, and hopefully coolant res

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
I deleted mine for a few months then put them back in. I don't believe it makes a difference at my altitude (600ft) maybe they're in there for a reason and I kinda didn't like the empty space where they were.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
I would LOVE to delete them and use one solenoid, I HATE clutter, however I do believe in BMW's engineering and therefor hence why their staying haha. Can I have pics of said setup? And thank you. Next on the list is a improved catch can setup, and hopefully coolant res

Don't have any on me with the shortened lines. but i can take some once i get back from Washington. But here's a few from when i first did it to start testing.....

Rear Solenoid with Line disconnected (has since been plugged)
32898168974_510dd16b36_c.jpg
IMAG4072 by Justin Whitted, on Flickr

Rear solenoid line going to front solenoid Tee'd in (from wastegates)
32898165874_81ebfc5445_c.jpg
IMAG4073 by Justin Whitted, on Flickr

32898165474_436c2346af_c.jpg
IMAG4074 by Justin Whitted, on Flickr

Vac lines Tee'd into one coming from the Vac pump going to the Vac port on the front solenoid
32898161924_6b81591800_c.jpg
IMAG4076 by Justin Whitted, on Flickr

Lines have since been shortened and the plastic lines that run over the VC have been replaced also with silicone lines along with the other lines. and of course, the Vac canisters removed completely.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Your welds actually look really good, except for the stop/starts around the top and bottoms, but that's hard to avoid without starting/stopping, which is difficult for a home fabricator. Next time maybe use a very small table/clamp that you can circle around as you weld. But of course that's a lot of work to make them look pretty.

I also wouldn't have welded them completely together, just at the top and bottom. But I'm a minimalist.

I agree with you as for their necessity. BMW spends a great deal of R/D for even something as simple as these. And then the material, and time, cost to include them on every car? The savings would be fairly significant if they were not necessary. But they are necessary to enable the car to meet its goals.

BMW dropped the twin turbo for the single turbo N55 was done for one, and one reason only, and that's to equal performance at a lower cost. If there are pennies to save, they will cut those corners, no doubt about it.

Reactions: Alex DD

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Thanks and yes i need to practice starts and stops. And i normally wouldn't weld them completely together but i was board and trying a different thickness filler rod so i was like why not lol.

And yes i believe these serve a good purpose as if they did not, bmw wouldnt spend the money tp include them with all n54 cars. Plus i like having custom parts. Built not bought lol

camberadam

Sergeant
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore
Ride
Tasmin Green e92
Thanks and yes i need to practice starts and stops. And i normally wouldn't weld them completely together but i was board and trying a different thickness filler rod so i was like why not lol.

And yes i believe these serve a good purpose as if they did not, bmw wouldnt spend the money tp include them with all n54 cars. Plus i like having custom parts. Built not bought lol

Sounds like a former mini trucker lol