N54 Exhaust Burble XDF Tables

corbanistan

Corporal
Jul 26, 2021
Florida, USA
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
*IF* that's the one I'm thinking of, there are supposedly three values: 0, 1, 2.

0 - enabled
1 - inhibited
2 - calculated "old" way

That would seem to indicate both 0 and 2 are "on" for constant calc, not on/off.
screenshot1.png

You sir are correct. 00 it is. Don't know what "old way" is but...

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Yep that's on page 1949 on the functions doc. I've got a couple more tests I've got to run before I get completely stumped
That's it. It might be the values your rom uses in tables more than the calc method if neither makes a diff.

View attachment 62595
You sir are correct. 00 it is. Don't know what "old way" is but...
That's the one. 2 might be really old, no idea.

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
That's it. It might be the values your rom uses in tables more than the calc method if neither makes a diff.

That's the one. 2 might be really old, no idea.
Yeah I'm starting to run out of ideas. @corbanistan was kind enough to send me his bin file and I forced mhd to do a full flash, but still nothing..

I had a look in the difference table, and we had different software revisions. He is on I8A0SIFK3 and i'm on I8A0SITA3. Theres a ton of bytes that are different between the two. (stock for stock)

corbanistan

Corporal
Jul 26, 2021
Florida, USA
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
I'll record a log tonight or tomorrow of cruising and shifting thru a few gears, and maybe some shifts at WOT. Maybe we'll be able to infer something from that

corbanistan

Corporal
Jul 26, 2021
Florida, USA
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
Also been wondering if it's something with my car, like an exhaust leak etc etc. I'll get the car on my lift tomorrow morning and have a look as well.
But I swear once I set Reduction by Ign to 00 and enabled PU safety I got the shift burbles and tables enabled

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
I was browsing the base maps from other cars and found that the burble timing tables are defined on the B58 Maps.

INA0S Stock: B58 Stock:
1638803610015.png
1638803646752.png

the rows have very different row units so not sure which row is comparable with which. But wht one can see overall is that the B58 has way higher negative timings for burble than the N54. Especially in the high rpm ranges. Might be cat killing potential but also it should change the burble character i guess.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I was browsing the base maps from other cars and found that the burble timing tables are defined on the B58 Maps.

INA0S Stock: B58 Stock:
View attachment 62847View attachment 62848

the rows have very different row units so not sure which row is comparable with which. But wht one can see overall is that the B58 has way higher negative timings for burble than the N54. Especially in the high rpm ranges. Might be cat killing potential but also it should change the burble character i guess.

Interesting, I've not looked at the B58 maps before.

Is the unit scaling on the rows the same? They are scaled in mg/stk in the N54, I would expect the same in the B58.

The reason the MHD burbles on the N54 have no character is because they are badly implemented. If you use a custom tune you can use these tables and the burbles sound good. If you use the MHD slider then you just get harsh sounding bangs and the car will become jerky when going off pedal.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
I am too stupid to tell. N54 and B58 have different info on rows. Can´t tell if it is the same or means anything equal.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I am too stupid to tell. N54 and B58 have different info on rows. Can´t tell if it is the same or means anything equal.
I downloaded the XDF and BIN for B58 and it does look like it uses load rather than air mass. They are essentially the same measurement so it's not a meaningful difference.

You can calculate mg/stk from maf. So if you log maf in MHD you can convert using this calc: https://instacalc.com/55271
I just did that from memory so not 100% certain but it looks correct from running a couple of test values through.

The character of the burble comes from the way the timing is ramped down in overrun, this table creates a nice gradual (as in over 100ms) reduction of timing that prevents the jerk that you get with MHD and creates those gurgle noises rather than any sharp bangs.

Reactions: JohnDaviz

corbanistan

Corporal
Jul 26, 2021
Florida, USA
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
Yep what carabuser said, don't use MHD burble slider if you want nice sound. I was able to get my tune to do it the right way and it's great. No gunshots. Almost like what you'd hear from a high-end sports car from factory. Make sure Tq Reduction by Ign is set to 0. And I get nice burbles from gearshifts (MT) too now.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
I downloaded the XDF and BIN for B58 and it does look like it uses load rather than air mass. They are essentially the same measurement so it's not a meaningful difference.

You can calculate mg/stk from maf. So if you log maf in MHD you can convert using this calc: https://instacalc.com/55271
I just did that from memory so not 100% certain but it looks correct from running a couple of test values through.

The character of the burble comes from the way the timing is ramped down in overrun, this table creates a nice gradual (as in over 100ms) reduction of timing that prevents the jerk that you get with MHD and creates those gurgle noises rather than any sharp bangs.

I checked also the IKM0S table and it is very different from INA0S. May be it was already posted here but then i just overlooked it.

So this is IKM0S
1638881137462.png

B58 (as posted above)
1638881164701.png

So looks to me as IKM0S is targeting a different burble sound than INA0S.

I took that as my base table values and adjusted them in the first three rows a little.

Also i orientated by the B58 pattern so that between two values on is not suddenly lower than the right and left neighbour.
Just like the 1600rpm Column.

1638881893448.png

Weather is great today and i will go for a small test.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I checked also the IKM0S table and it is very different from INA0S. May be it was already posted here but then i just overlooked it.

So this is IKM0S
View attachment 62865

B58 (as posted above)
View attachment 62866

So looks to me as IKM0S is targeting a different burble sound than INA0S.

I took that as my base table values and adjusted them in the first three rows a little.

Also i orientated by the B58 pattern so that between two values on is not suddenly lower than the right and left neighbour.
Just like the 1600rpm Column.

View attachment 62867

Weather is great today and i will go for a small test.
Careful with defining your own tables for that one. There is 3 tables with similar structure that are used under different circumstances and they are adjacent in the bin.

One is ignition angle in PU mode (overrun), one is EXT (dsc, msr etc) and the other is normal I think. It looks like you have the EXT table there.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
The XDF might say PU but it doesn't mean it's correct. I don't remember defining IKM0S so if it was done by someone else using BIN offsets and patterns.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
So went out for a little drive but couldn´t get far because of never before seen traffic in all directions.

So there was some sort of burble but really not loud, barely noticable. On MHD i was on soft and it was well noticable.

What i noticed in the log is that the car goes to max -8 degree of timing. I have that value in no timing table :D

Based on the ignition table above between 1600 and 2400 rpm it should be minimum -16 degrees

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-07 um 18.47.44.png

I have set Disable TQ Reduction by Ign to 00 (INA0S)

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
So went out for a little drive but couldn´t get far because of never before seen traffic in all directions.

So there was some sort of burble but really not loud, barely noticable. On MHD i was on soft and it was well noticable.

What i noticed in the log is that the car goes to max -8 degree of timing. I have that value in no timing table :D

Based on the ignition table above between 1600 and 2400 rpm it should be minimum -16 degrees

View attachment 62878

I have set Disable TQ Reduction by Ign to 00 (INA0S)
It's not a timing target exactly, it's a minimum that can be applied by the torque target routine.

I think there's other offsets applied. You can try lowering it even more and see if it drops further than -8.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
It's not a timing target exactly, it's a minimum that can be applied by the torque target routine.

I think there's other offsets applied. You can try lowering it even more and see if it drops further than -8.
hm.. i did and nothing really changed :/

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
If the timing doesn't drop further then the actual torque is probably at or lower than requested torque.

You can try modifying a stock bin and see if that works in the desired manner. That will rule out a problem with the BIN you are using as my burbles get pretty nasty when i lower that table even by 3 degrees.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Thanks to @carabuser! Some of my torque reporting tables were setup by the well known spreadsheet but actually seem to have had impressive influence on my DCT behaviour either.

Not only is the burble where i expected it but also the dct now acts completely different. It was great before already but now... different level.