Technical Eldor coils vs PR Coils

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
They offer a set up that goes over the intake manifold. I was looking at swapping to their set up a couple of weeks back. I was happy to see they have an intake side set up. As plug changes with the original placement made me wonder about difficulty. I'm due for coils and thinking it might be worth it in the long run to swap.

Picture from their website.

View attachment 43107
Neat. Doubt that would work with my intake setup though.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
They offer a set up that goes over the intake manifold. I was looking at swapping to their set up a couple of weeks back. I was happy to see they have an intake side set up. As plug changes with the original placement made me wonder about difficulty. I'm due for coils and thinking it might be worth it in the long run to swap.

Picture from their website.

View attachment 43107

... WOAH That is wild! Great idea.

Reactions: 86merc and martymil

86merc

Aug 12, 2020
Neat. Doubt that would work with my intake setup though.

They show they have a set up for some aftermarket intakes as well. They list BMP, BMS, BKC, and Sharp CUstoms. Not sure what intake you have or if you would attempt to switch at this point. But at least others thinking of converting to them might have one less headache when changing plugs.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
^^^ As He said, I was chasing a misfire this week and was thinking something bad was happening or I damaged something.

PR's where a breeze to take on and off.

Without the PR coils I would have been thinking it must be electrical or something to do with plugs or mechanical damage.

Ended up being the local fuel company being cheapskates most likely due to covid-19 to save money because of the low fuel prices thus lowering the fuel quality.

Before I could run 24 - 26psi with no timing corrections, now I cant even run 22 psi without misfiring.

I was running around on e20 but had to raise it to e50 to subdue the misfires.

The whole point to the story is, no matter what you throw at the PR's it will never be them but something else if you develop an issue, its set and forget.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
They show they have a set up for some aftermarket intakes as well. They list BMP, BMS, BKC, and Sharp CUstoms. Not sure what intake you have or if you would attempt to switch at this point. But at least others thinking of converting to them might have one less headache when changing plugs.

Oh yeah I see that. Didn't mean intake manifold, I have a hybrid ram/cone filter intake l with rear turbo fed by a aFe Momentum GT box in the stock intake position.

Dunno if that would fit with the cold side coil rail.

Worth asking them though I think.

Hyab00sta

Lurker
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
2009 335XI
Maybe @V8bait has an answer for something I noticed. I'm running PR coils newest version and run a JB4 with BEF 2step and NLS. I reflashed after the install with the PR coil check box enabled and no misfires and timing is spot on during pulls across the board but my 2step is pops much louder and stronger in less frequency and my NLS doesn't seem to activate like it used to. Is this due to a voltage change from the DME after enabling it in MHD? Would unchecking it revert everything like it used to? thanks

Seaneezy

Corporal
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
e90 LCI 335i
my 2c as a casual student using mainly google DIY's, using the oldest version of the PR coils with the older wires and direct coil connection (no plug-play connector style) caused my 6th cyl wires to catch fire recently while diagnosing misfires. Gilbert from PR seemed sure that it stemmed from wire shielding breaking apart over time and sparking when the wires touched each other. At that point I was pretty set on going back to OEM pencil coils as I don't have a tune setup that demands the extra voltage from the PR setup anyways, but Gilbert cut me a major deal on new wires that would be cheaper than reordering the OEM coils. Time will tell if this happens again, but for the time being I'm going to try cutting off the option of PR coils in MHD as I'm wondering if this hurt the DME considering bad battery management fried my FRM for the second time this year anyways.

PR coils have problems, but at least PR seems willing to update their product to address problems that arise with use on N54.
IMG_1909.jpg