Technical Eldor coils vs PR Coils

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Hi guys,
Ive been some reading and research into the subject after seeing a post from Omar that every build he does, he installs Eldor coils, even if there are already aftermarket coils fitted.

Due to a mate of mine getting ready to do new coils soon, he is looking to do the PR Coils route, but now after the info that Eldor coils are sufficient, he is on the fence as what to do.

I know Eldor is straight replacement, and PR requires a bit more to it, but, is PR Coils worth getting if they are not the best option?
I know PR requires the MHD option to be flagged, and have also read that the added voltage can put a LITTLE extra stress on the DME board, as well as interfere on the O2 Sensor wiring (and needs to be routed a bit differently in some cases?)

Keen to know some feedback on this, as Eldor would be half the price of the PR Coils, however PR Coils are supposedly supposed to be the be all and end all of misfires. however i believe this is not always the case.

My mates Z4 is currently custom tuned by Michael Hollingsworth and is putting down 475whp and 795nm on Pump fuel and 80/20 Methanol on dual Nozzles (CM5 + CM10).
Have put a hold on the tuning as the car is currently running decently, but want to sort the coils out before going further.

Z4 35i Mod list
Mamba 14T hybrids in stock frames
Stage2 LPFP
6"Intercooler
Decatted DP
full exhaust
Meth Controller (Coolboost)
dual Nozzles (CM5 + CM10)
Silicone Inlets
Mr.5 Intake mod
Z4 35is DCT TCU software
1 Step Colder Plugs
stock OEM bosch coils.

Thanks in advance.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I have PR coils and get misfires, and I normally don't turn them on. What I mean by that is I do not activate the full voltage in MHD.

My ceramic is coated in Dialectic grease but I still get misfires.

They are a pain in the ass if I need to change a plug, since I have to pretty much remove the entire coil rack.
Pretty sure I am going to sell them after having them for a couple years now.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Jeffman and Torgus

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I've installed 3 sets of pr coils myself and have no issues, they are the best for n54.

The trick is to measure the resistance across the plug and make sure the plugs have almost the same ohm reading,.

Check the resistance of the leads for the same thing.

Use dielectric grease on the inside of the sparkplug lead connections.

Gap the plugs correctly.

Antiseize on the thread of the spark plug.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeffman and NoGuru

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I've installed 3 sets of pr coils myself and have no issues, they are the best for n54.

The trick is to measure the resistance across the plug and make sure the plugs have almost the same ohm reading,.

Check the resistance of the leads for the same thing.

Use dielectric grease on the inside of the sparkplug lead connections.

Gap the plugs correctly.

Antiseize on the thread of the spark plug.
I don't mean to highjack but can you elaborate on the measure resistance across the plug?
And the leads?

Sorry, I don't understand this part very well. I run
NGK 97506

So two steps colder I think and I gap them to .022

Maybe you can solve the misfires I have but I see spark marks on the ceramic even after coating them.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Well spark runs along the path of least resistance, so you have an issue.

Spark plugs should all measure the same resistance, same with leads.

Get a set of the latest leads from PR if you haven't already as the original ones weren't great.

All plugs are different so lets say it measures .015 for example then it should be no more than .017 ohm across all the plugs.

Did you try running .020 gap ?

I personally run same plugs.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I believe @Hydra Performance refers to Delphi coils, not Eldor - the Delphi's are what is stock on the S55 M3/M4 motor. They are inexpensive. They are plug and play. They will just work. Anything else is going to require more work, care, and possibility of having issues. This is simply seen by the number of threads where people run into issues. Doesn't matter if user error or product packaging challenges.

Factory coils are the best coils for the N54. Until you have a problem that those coils cannot solve.

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: Hydra Performance

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
When your running such a powerful coil as the PR it definitely requires proper install procedure but at least it will be the last coil you buy and they will never crap out on you.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Well spark runs along the path of least resistance, so you have an issue.

Spark plugs should all measure the same resistance, same with leads.

Get a set of the latest leads from PR if you haven't already as the original ones weren't great.

All plugs are different so lets say it measures .015 for example then it should be no more than .017 ohm across all the plugs.

Did you try running .020 gap ?

I personally run same plugs.
I will measure them all next time.

I didn't realize there were better leads now. I will place an order.

I haven't tried .020 but I can look into that. I am running 23psi with my turbos but that number will be up to around 27 by next year so I do think I can tighten the gap.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
As I said, the S55 factory coil is the best coil choice. No point in trying to solve a problem you don't have, and inadvertently creating another one.

Filippo
I get that, but I already have the PR coils. If just changing the boot works, I would be satisfied with them. If not, they will be sold and I will purchase the S55 coils.

Reactions: fmorelli

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Eldor coils from fcp and never worry about it again. 30psi on e60 for 5k+ miles no issues

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
One has to physically feel the difference between pencil coils and a properly setup PR system to truly appreciate what precision
has developed with @V8bait.

You can run any system you like but PR coils are the best, other systems work but its like saying turbo is a turbo.

Reactions: NoGuru

MRC-5.56

Lurker
Nov 24, 2017
Ride
e92 335i
I put eldor's on my car in late 2017 to replace the failing factory Bosch units when my car was FBO. Since then, I have had MMP stage 3's on full e85 for 1.5 years and as of the last few months a Doc ST conversion with 6466 and full e85. The coils have been very good to me with no issues at all (knocks on wood). I've been eyeing a set of PR coils to replace them when they start to fatigue but they are still doing awesome.

Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Dallas, TX but soon to be Cocoa Beach FL
Ride
2012 z4
So wifey and I are out for a drive this weekend. I punch it in her x3, and she (wifey) starts making this burbblurbblurb sound. I'm like WTF was that? She goes, that's the sound your car used to make before you replaced the coils when you got into the throttle.

PR coils will stop her from making fun of my car ever again - but I did replace all of her's with delphis when one went bad...

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
One has to physically feel the difference between pencil coils and a properly setup PR system to truly appreciate what precision
has developed with @V8bait.

You can run any system you like but PR coils are the best, other systems work but its like saying turbo is a turbo.
I've felt the precision race works coils and I like how the extra $200 bucks in my hands feels more for other parts. Just my opinion

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Depends how you look at it, you save now but will have to get another set down the track eventually PR will outlast your car.

It really depends if your going to keep your car and never sell it or flip it down the track.

With my 335 I just use the Bosch ones as I'm going to flip it later and never had any issues with them.

100k miles and still going strong.

Reactions: RuskiRacer

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
I've been using the metal shielded DELPHI GN10571 coils, all good for me, car ran 5.99s 100-200 on them.

Reactions: RuskiRacer