Technical Eldor coils vs PR Coils

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Depends how you look at it, you save now but will have to get another set down the track eventually PR will outlast your car.

It really depends if your going to keep your car and never sell it or flip it down the track.

With my 335 I just use the Bosch ones as I'm going to flip it later and never had any issues with them.

100k miles and still going strong.
I get what your saying for me if I do burn through a set I order a new set on FCP and I'm pretty much out shipping costs. If I was tryna build a car where there is no expense spared PR would be the coil of choice they bring some nice contrast to the engine bay as well.

Reactions: martymil

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I've been using the metal shielded DELPHI GN10571 coils, all good for me, car ran 5.99s 100-200 on them.

Coils will not make you go any faster or give you more power unless there was something wrong with your previous ones.

Its about reliability and to be able to run bigger gaps at high boost levels without misfires and without prematurely burning out the coils.

With the pencil style coil I'd occasionally get a misfire now and then at around 22 psi, had it as high as 28 psi since installing the PR's
and cant remember having one ever since.

PR's are just more reliable and will never let you down unlike pencil coils but they work fine when they are working properly.

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
I never said such things, i merely pointing out that my coils are old, and work fine @ 21psi.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
I think it's funny how right now everybody is on the Eldor bandwagon because they're so great and so much more reliable than the Delphi...

Couple years ago it was the Delphi bandwagon because they're so great and so much more reliable than than the Bosch...

Couple-couple year ago it was the Bosche bandwagon because they're so great and so much more reliable than the Bremi that it replaced in the M52/S52...

Truth is these coils are all the exact same design and spec and reliability/output will be identical unless there was a QC problem. This just happens to be the lowest bidder to provide the coils to BMW. The only two design changes that exist were to the coil tip YEARS ago when they changed to flat top plugs, and the addition of a part number with a little metal RF shield in a poor attempt to reduce electrical noise.

Prediction: BMW switches back to Bosch and it becomes the next best thing because they're so great and so much more reliable than the Eldor...

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
I think it's funny how right now everybody is on the Eldor bandwagon because they're so great and so much more reliable than the Delphi...

Couple years ago it was the Delphi bandwagon because they're so great and so much more reliable than than the Bosch...

Couple-couple year ago it was the Bosche bandwagon because they're so great and so much more reliable than the Bremi that it replaced in the M52/S52...

Truth is these coils are all the exact same design and spec and reliability/output will be identical unless there was a QC problem. This just happens to be the lowest bidder to provide the coils to BMW. The only two design changes that exist were to the coil tip YEARS ago when they changed to flat top plugs, and the addition of a part number with a little metal RF shield in a poor attempt to reduce electrical noise.

Prediction: BMW switches back to Bosch and it becomes the next best thing because they're so great and so much more reliable than the Eldor...
Never had missfire issues with eldors with Bosch I had issues maybe they were just old.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
It's really a reliability of setup and use in the hands of the owner issue, which seems to be conveniently ignored in the conversation (and has been the point). Generally don't increase complexity unless you have a need to solve a problem. If one has higher expertise and willing to do so ... can't beat it. But reality - a lot of average folks ... many which come here for advise, don't need to hear "I installed 3 sets and they work" because that's really not the issue.

Filippo

Reactions: SCato and NoGuru

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Just stating that there are no issues with the PR coils if installed correctly as it was suggested there was.

Just because its simple does not mean its reliable as these were designed to run at stock power level or close to it and not when running double or more power.

PR's where designed to run at any level so why would one limit the chances of misfires and possible engine damage whilst trying to save a few bucks on coils that were never designed for the task.

Run any coil one likes but don't come crying when your next misfire causes a ring land failure

Reactions: 135i2

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Literally the only issue I have with the PR coils is that they're a pain in the ass to change plugs with. If I had a solution to that, I'd gush their praises.

No real difference other than spark and idle stability. And theoretical coil longevity.

Mine have been pretty bulletproof.

That said, my stock coils did very well. I bought the PR set at a heavy discount that made them about $50 more than OEM at the time, and was hugely impressed with the R&D done by PR and V8bait. If I had needed to pay retail I might have thought about it a little more.

But yeah, need a more friendly coil mount that's not right over the leads/plugs. What a PITA.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Just stating that there are no issues with the PR coils if installed correctly as it was suggested there was.
And I'm just stating that installation and ownership is not as straightforward for some people as clearly evidenced by posts and issues requiring getting new parts over the years. My advise was leave it alone and run a simple stock setup, unless one is solving a problem or has more advanced experience.
Run any coil one likes but don't come crying when your next misfire causes a ring land failure
This kind of retort really necessary? You seem to have issue someone offering a different point of view which does not completely line up with your own point of view.

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Well @fmorelli I just call it how it is, its not a point of view as I'm talking from personally experiencing it on my own motor.

These pencil coils are just plain garbage outside of stock to mild application, of course they work to a point.

I've seen a number of motors now that have failed and they all have a common issue.

Pencil coils
Stock Motor
e85
High boost
high timing

I also know a number of stock motors that run pr coils and have seen no failure running big hp where normally it should not
be possible what they are doing.

If you want half a chance of a motor holding together get rid of the weakest link and that is the pencil coil pack.

Anything over 21psi or higher you should be looking for an upgrade as its basically a ticking time bomb, which path someone chooses is up to them.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Is the OP sure he has actual misfires or does he mean timing pulls?

If running methanol I'd definately recommend a stronger coil than stock, more so for water and methanol. It takes alot more energy to ignite methanol than ethanol and even more so than petrol. Water will make it harder still to get the burn started.
I personally run R8 coils so I can replace them cheaply outside the US.

The problem is misfire issues aren't always coil or even plug related. You really need to try and narrow a misfire down by changing one variable at a time.

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
I mean eldor coils are stock on cars that make 550 -600 + hp so not sure why running higher boost on them would be an issue. hasn't been for anyone I know or myself

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
I mean eldor coils are stock on cars that make 550 -600 + hp so not sure why running higher boost on them would be an issue. hasn't been for anyone I know or myself

If car A is doing 550 on pump gas and car B is doing 550 on exotic fuels then it's really apples and oranges...

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
With higher boost you either need a stronger spark or smaller gap.

Stronger spark through a bigger coil you can leave the gap the same and not get misfires.

Reactions: KClemente

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
May i ask why the S55 coils, which aren't that different from ours, are able to run plugs that have a 0.31" gap ?
S55 coils are Delphi GN10571, which i just noticed are the ones im running...

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
You said your only running 21psi that's considered mild boost, start cranking 25psi up to 30psi it might handle it or might not.

How long the coils last is a lucky dip

On the single turbo we where cranking 28 psi and all we saw was misfires as soon as we tried my pr setup we where able to crank it up to 35psi with .022 gap with no issues on one step colder plugs.

If its working for you then stick with it, it really depends on your goals.

Buying eldor coils and finding out its not cutting it or buying pr and never have to worry about it again

86merc

Aug 12, 2020
Literally the only issue I have with the PR coils is that they're a pain in the ass to change plugs with. If I had a solution to that, I'd gush their praises.

They offer a set up that goes over the intake manifold. I was looking at swapping to their set up a couple of weeks back. I was happy to see they have an intake side set up. As plug changes with the original placement made me wonder about difficulty. I'm due for coils and thinking it might be worth it in the long run to swap.

Picture from their website.

IMG_3334.jpg