DIY: F30 M Performance Brakes on E90 E92 E93 Guide

pe7er

Lurker
Jul 26, 2018
Ride
335i
does the BMW OEM M225 19 inch wheels fit on the Performance Brake without spacers?
EDIT: they fit ! :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2204

The rear bracket no longer seem to be available.

So a short sumup; F30 rear callipers with the eccentric 10mm bushes and Zimmermann 150.3461.32 rotors? Then check of caliper is centered. If not, shave some off the caliper. Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2204

For the rears i am finding 2 different caliper part numbers. 34216860737 and 34216799461. Anyone know is there is any difference?

Largo

Jun 23, 2019
Ride
E92 335i
So from wich f serie model you should pick up the calipers for perfect fitment if u want to buy second hand calipers.
Because i see there are a lot of different parts Numbers. I also Discoverd that there are different offsets. offset are different depending on wich model they came from like 135, 235, 320, 340, m4 etc.. ( When use second hand). Also if you want to use the 370mm front rotors you Will need to buy the front calipers that has the number ‘370-380’ marked at the back of the caliper. If you have the ‘340’ mark at the back you can only use 340mm brake discs I guess. Correct me if a I am wrong, but think it is like that.
I had a customer once that picked up set of performance brake When I had couple off sets for sale. I sold him f30 335d calipers for using on his f30 320d. He came back and told me that the rears did not fit his vehicle even When it Where both f30’s. So that Why I think that the different oem parts Numbers standing for different offsets.
Somebody can explain?
Thnx

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The rear bracket no longer seem to be available.

So a short sumup; F30 rear callipers with the eccentric 10mm bushes and Zimmermann 150.3461.32 rotors? Then check of caliper is centered. If not, shave some off the caliper. Is this correct?

I never got an eccentric bushing so mine are still off center.

Additionally if I could do it again I would just get the modification done by EOS. If you have a 1 series I think it's less of an issue but it's been long enough I think I've forgotten.

So from wich f serie model you should pick up the calipers for perfect fitment if u want to buy second hand calipers.
Because i see there are a lot of different parts Numbers. I also Discoverd that there are different offsets. offset are different depending on wich model they came from like 135, 235, 320, 340, m4 etc.. ( When use second hand). Also if you want to use the 370mm front rotors you Will need to buy the front calipers that has the number ‘370-380’ marked at the back of the caliper. If you have the ‘340’ mark at the back you can only use 340mm brake discs I guess. Correct me if a I am wrong, but think it is like that.
I had a customer once that picked up set of performance brake When I had couple off sets for sale. I sold him f30 335d calipers for using on his f30 320d. He came back and told me that the rears did not fit his vehicle even When it Where both f30’s. So that Why I think that the different oem parts Numbers standing for different offsets.
Somebody can explain?
Thnx

All of what I know I posted here. The questions you're asking would require that I do the same research as you unfortunately. Feel free to share what you find out!

D

Deleted member 2204

I'm hitting the same thing;

Are the F20 and F30 M-Perf rear calipers the same?
I am finding them with part nr 34216799461 and 34216860737 and they seem to be used in a mix (maybe one before 2012, the other after 2012?) Still are they the same?

Largo

Jun 23, 2019
Ride
E92 335i
I am sorry, I cant tell you the exact differences between different parts number.
Everything I know I also posted thats Why I was asking..
I Will do the upgrade in the future But for now it is not my first thing to do. When i do the swap i Will let know.
Also sold a 140i set to somebody with e92 335i, also mechanic that is going swap them. He also Lets me know When he is done

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Hey, I recently aquired these brakes and installed the fronts. I am waiting for the bushings for the rear. If I understand correctly, the e-brake is fine as long as I use the zimmerman e60 535i rear discs ?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Hey, I recently aquired these brakes and installed the fronts. I am waiting for the bushings for the rear. If I understand correctly, the e-brake is fine as long as I use the zimmerman e60 535i rear discs ?

Depends on the car you have I think. But I can say I recommend having eos machine the calipers. It's a much more confidence inspiring method.

• Agree
Reactions: twinturbos
D

Deleted member 2204

I don't recommend changing anything to the calipers.
I have both front and rears F3x M-Perf brakes on my E91. Front is bolt on, rear with offset bushings in the calipers and Zimmermann E60 perforated sport discs (150.3461.52 )

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
I have both front and rears F3x M-Perf brakes on my E91. Front is bolt on, rear with offset bushings in the calipers and Zimmermann E60 perforated sport discs (150.3461.52 )
Thanks, this is exactly what I needed. Ebrake works well?

D

Deleted member 2204

Yup. Except that i forgot to adjust mine :)
You need to cut the dust guard otherwise the caliper won't fit. You can make this easy for yourself by removing the handbrake assembly and losening both handbrake plate and dustguard to give yourself some room to work with.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

Where did you get the offset/eccentric bushing? It's funny because I recommended it when I wrote this guide but never managed to find one with splines like the original.

Due to this, my pads don't put a full sweep down.

D

Deleted member 2204

Any machine shop should be able to make them. I believe there are dimension drawings on E90post.
I know a person in Germany and Poland who can make them. The latter made them for me for ~50 bucks including bolts. But the machine shop around the corne could also make them but where more expensive.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I had something arrive in the mail recently from Poland, thanks to @Ballistic for the referral:

1571815579999.png

Since I had paid to have these calipers machined, I actually needed some spacers made to make up that lost material. I just ordered the M3 master cylinder since I never did it. When I press on the brakes, it doesn't feel like I slow down as well as I should, much more force is needed to be applied to the pedal. Hopefully this solves that problem. The brake master cylinder is by Dorman:

Last edited:

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
I had something arrive in the mail recently from Poland, thanks to @Ballistic for the referral:

View attachment 32392

Since I had paid to have these calipers machined, I actually needed some spacers made to make up that lost material. I just ordered the M3 master cylinder since I never did it. When I press on the brakes, it doesn't feel like I slow down as well as I should, much more force is needed to be applied to the pedal. Hopefully this solves that problem. The brake master cylinder is by Dorman:

I received these bushings a few weeks ago. I haven't got the discs to finalize the install yet however I'm a bit worried about pressing them in at the right position. Anyone has any tips ? I also have the M3 master that will go in at the same time.

Another thing, Will any E60 535 rear discs work or does it absolutely have to be the Zimmermanns ?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I received these bushings a few weeks ago. I haven't got the discs to finalize the install yet however I'm a bit worried about pressing them in at the right position. Anyone has any tips ?
Ditto.
Another thing, Will any E60 535 rear discs work or does it absolutely have to be the Zimmermanns ?

I think the OEM discs are slightly taller, and the use of the zimmerman was to avoid needing to grind out the inside of the caliper since the casting or whatever is used to make rotors was slightly shorter.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Note to mod: Thank you for your image fix but i rather not. Please don't re-host my images.

Ah okay, my fault.

Pressing in the bushes is really not something to worry about. Just line the holes up parellel to eachother and all the way to the outside of the caliper.

I suppose they need to be pretty accurate otherwise the bolts won't go into the knuckle, right?

How much force is required to press them in? Are the bolts strong enough to press them in by tightening to the knuckle directly?