Dead on the side of the road

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Got this code today. I'm thinking the hpfp is dead ? Have recently changed the fuel filter. Not sure if the lpfp go bad on these ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220321-193006.jpg
    Screenshot_20220321-193006.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 30

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Start the car. Log idle.

Cold start hpfp should be about 2400psi
LPFP usual 70ish psi
Once water is over 40°C hpfp idle pressure will be 700ish psi

Reactions: RuskiRacer

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Got the car started up. Rail pressure was like 4500 on cold start, car only ran for a minute with a pretty lumpy idle and then died. I'm familiar that these cars have a junky rain tray that needs to be replaced. So I'm guessing bank 2 injectors have gotten watered out and started to rust ? Sound reasonable ? Gonna get a new Raintray and probably injectors . Anyone run into similar issues with injectors? I'm in Minnesota so we see alot of rain and snow

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220321-193138.jpg
    Screenshot_20220321-193138.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 22

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
If you want to work clean. Pull the Injectors and inspect them.
On youtube you can find videos for checking if injectors are leaking. That is really important to know how fucked you are.
Usually rain should not bypass the seal and affect injector work. Lumpy idle may come from leakiing injectors.
This is getting difficult now. If you have stuck open/leaking injectors or similar you may encounter oil dillution and fuck your bearings in really short term.

Drain your oil check it for particles, check your oil fiter, send the oil to analysis. Doesn´t cost much.
Check your plugs and check if they are wet or whatever. Post pictures.

Don´t run the car. Ask me how i know about that shit.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
i guess most are the same or equal.

In the past i had an e39 30d and during driving out of the garage some of my injectors went defect. Car was runnnig like shit and on 4 or less cylinders. Diagnosis was indeed defect injectors.I don´t know if on a diesel an injector goes bad and doesn´t inject fuel.

Reactions: SLOWESTN54

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Lol now that we know its a m57. And I verified that the high pressure fuel pressure is meeting its target and I assume the low pressure pump is working. With the injector codes I think its safe to say the injectors are bad ? Or i hear there could be corrosion in the dme

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
You might try posting on e90post, there is more M57 action over there. or on a few of the m57 facebook groups. They seem to have knowledgeable people on them. For whatever reason I find facebook M57 people/groups more knowledgeable than e90 post and what I can find on the forums searching etc.

The injectors are known to go bad when the rain tray drips onto them, as it sounds like you already know this. Speaking of which I really really check out both of my rain trays...wife's m57 just threw a map sensor code yesterday. Today I will clean the map sensor and get all the junk out of it. Should fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RuskiRacer

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Yeah I'm thinking its injectors have shorted out from continual rain on them :( . Gonna get the new rain tray and replace bank 2 i injectors. Wierd how the diesel injectors are so prone to water damage.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Everyone says get a new rain tray. I always assumed you could just slap on some RTV or similar to stop it dripping. It's also quick to see if the sealant worked by using a hose. It's a band aid fix but you never know it could last a long time. Especially if you don't have to remove your rain tray which I never have on either E70 after 5 years of ownership. Been surprisingly reliable in that aspect or should I say that specific area of the car ;)

According to service bulletin SI B13 01 12, water leaks from the partition on models produced up to May 2012. Suggests that all 13s have an updated part and that the new one you buy will be the 'upgraded' leak free part. Mine are both 2011. So both probably fucking leaking!

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Everyone says get a new rain tray. I always assumed you could just slap on some RTV or similar to stop it dripping. It's also quick to see if the sealant worked by using a hose. It's a band aid fix but you never know it could last a long time. Especially if you don't have to remove your rain tray which I never have on either E70 after 5 years of ownership. Been surprisingly reliable in that aspect or should I say that specific area of the car ;)
Yeah I may try that but mine looks so clapped it may not even be worth messing around with it. I think my big mistake was removing the aucistic cover. Paired with my bad water tray it was a disaster waiting to happen. Hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes lol

Reactions: SlowE93

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
You might try posting on e90post, there is more M57 action over there. or on a few of the m57 facebook groups. They seem to have knowledgeable people on them. For whatever reason I find facebook M57 people/groups more knowledgeable than e90 post and what I can find on the forums searching etc.

The injectors are known to go bad when the rain tray drips onto them, as it sounds like you already know this. Speaking of which I really really check out both of my rain trays...wife's m57 just threw a map sensor code yesterday. Today I will clean the map sensor and get all the junk out of it. Should fix it.
Fuck E90post....buncha kids that don't know shit.
George is very knowledgeable...perhaps Torgus as well....but the majority are kids that think their MHD stg 1 N54 is lightning fast! And stock turbos can't do over 18psi.

Hey Torgie 👋🏽

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus