Bushing choices

Lucien316

Private
Jan 28, 2021
I’m thinking of running new diff bushings, subframe, and engine mounts for my 1M. For tranny mount getting rogue. Someone recommended OEM 1M bushings but interested in aftermarket. Thoughts? Don’t want excessive nvh but better if there’s such thing in this department. Going to be pushing pretty big Hp. Thanks

Lucien316

Private
Jan 28, 2021
I have spoken to him. He recommended oem. AKG said if I go poly, to do the same uniform with mount and trans as one unit and same dif and subframe as a unit. That they work in unison and should be same stiffness. The only option they suggested otherwise was like a rogue trans bushing and oem elsewhere. They’re sold out of their poly front set up for months and ecs carries them(street/race) version for dif and subframe, but I don’t think they have trans and engine mount bc lacking engine mount. Getting a revtech motor mount was discouraged by AKG and rogue. So maybe just oem all around except rogue trans. I don’t know.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Here's what I suggest, and having tried almost every option I'd never deviate from this but it's your car! Have fun exploring options too I enjoyed the journey. There is minimal NVH increase with this and is perfect for a street/weekend track car.

Engine: Genuine 335is "IS" engine mounts. This is a stock mount on driver and harder mount on passenger. If you go too stiff here it increases NVH severely. I like the VTT reinforcement plates but they raised the engine and the COG which I found undesirable and removed them.

Trans: RE mounts. These are solid and stiff but alow for some movement which is desireable.

RSFB: SOLID ALUMINUM. I recommend Bimmerworld for this but turner sells a set too.

Differential: stock. This is where your NVH comes from in the rear

Reactions: Jeffman and wheela

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Differential: stock. This is where your NVH comes from in the rear

Not even a lock down kit to help with wheel hop?

My solid diff mounts added diff whine which you hear above 45 mph but that is it. No VH, just N.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShocknAwe

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
I did the condor speed shop Delrin diff bushings. I didn’t notice any nvh tbh. My diff is an m factory helical.

I also have the revshift motor and trans mounts and I love them. My idle is slightly raised to 750 but for me the benefits outweigh any nvh at idle. Everything feels more direct.

Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
A little of topic but what's the best way to install solid subframe bushings?

At a shop ;)

I would drop the subframe, do the diff and subframe bushings, upgrade the annoying 'middle' brake lines to SS. If you have a stock diff upgrade that at the same time. Add a diff lockdown kit, change arms, other suspension bushings etc. etc. Do it all at once while you are back there messing around is my vote.

Last edited:

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Is the lockdown needed if the bushings are upgraded?

I don't see how it could do much of anything with the diff held in place solidly by 3 now 100% solid mounting points. I guess on a very hard launch it could act like giving it a 4th mounting location? There was a diff lockdown kit that vwvetish or someone like that used to sell which made a 4th 'real' mounting point.

I had my diff lockdown plate lying around and had it installed it at the same time as the solid diff and subframe bushings. It can't hurt and it relatively small money. I also never wanted to have wheel hop at the track because of those rear soft bushings BMW put on e90s. Once you blow an axle it gets old real quick.

edit:
here is the model which gives you the 'real' 4th mounting point: https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads/whats-everyones-take-on-this-lockdown-brace.3322/ & https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38313 & https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799038

Last edited:
Reactions: houtan

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
www.spoolnmotorsports.com
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
  • Informative
Reactions: houtan and Torgus

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Thanks. Yeah the reason why I asked is with the Delrin diff bushings my diff is rock solid so for me it sounds like it’s not needed. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
At a shop ;)

I would drop the subframe, do the diff and subframe bushings, upgrade the annoying 'middle' brake lines to SS. If you have a stock diff upgrade that at the same time. Add a diff lockdown kit, change arms, other suspension bushings etc. etc. Do it all at once while you are back there messing around is my vote.
I had purchased all of the bushings, arms, lock down kit, etc for the rear end of my ‘08 335xi last year. Finally getting a Quickjack to help me raise the car to hopefully get to that work this year. Haha

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I had purchased all of the bushings, arms, lock down kit, etc for the rear end of my ‘08 335xi last year. Finally getting a Quickjack to help me raise the car to hopefully get to that work this year. Haha
And here I am six months later…I got the QuickJack and planning to drop the subframe this Spring. Started to watch YouTube videos on dropping the subframe. The Bimmerbarn one seems very good but he described a rather involved process to disconnect the parking brake cables that requires disassembling the center console which looked like a major PITA. Is it really necessary to take apart the center console to drop the subframe?

jzx_andy

Corporal
May 22, 2019
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
2008 E92 335i 6MT
And here I am six months later…I got the QuickJack and planning to drop the subframe this Spring. Started to watch YouTube videos on dropping the subframe. The Bimmerbarn one seems very good but he described a rather involved process to disconnect the parking brake cables that requires disassembling the center console which looked like a major PITA. Is it really necessary to take apart the center console to drop the subframe?
I don't think its necessary.

Take off the handbrake boot, lower the handbrake fully, and use a pry bar or screwdriver to lock the spring mechanism into the service position.

Then remove calipers/rotors/parking brake shoes/parking brake shoe expanders, and you can get the cables out from the inside of the knuckles very easily. It's a bit of work, but way less tedious than removing the centre consoles and working inside the car. Jake Spence has a video on his channel of a rear subframe removal/teardown which outlines an "easy" process in very high level terms. It'd be a couple of years old at this point.

Reactions: Jeffman

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I don't think its necessary.

Take off the handbrake boot, lower the handbrake fully, and use a pry bar or screwdriver to lock the spring mechanism into the service position.

Then remove calipers/rotors/parking brake shoes/parking brake shoe expanders, and you can get the cables out from the inside of the knuckles very easily. It's a bit of work, but way less tedious than removing the centre consoles and working inside the car. Jake Spence has a video on his channel of a rear subframe removal/teardown which outlines an "easy" process in very high level terms. It'd be a couple of years old at this point.
Thanksamiilion!