Broad BMW Diesel EGR recall

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Yeah people are deleting. M57 is the perfect car. Just delete and it runs a CP3 pump so all is good. The N57 ... motor is a dream. So is the ZF8HP they sell it with in the USA. But emissions is crap. Plus DEF removal - can't run the dual exhaust on the F10 with DEF in there. I'm not touching my car until 4/2020 when CPO runs out. And that is if I keep it. Could be perfect without all the emissions garbage but still waiting for more data to rack up on this configuration. The Bosch CP4 HPFP is the smoking gun on the N57. Would like to see someone come up with a bypass kit (it's a recirc fuel system). They do it on the Cummins and Powerstroke CP4-based diesels.

Filippo

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Yeah people are deleting. M57 is the perfect car. Just delete and it runs a CP3 pump so all is good. The N57 ... motor is a dream. So is the ZF8HP they sell it with in the USA. But emissions is crap. Plus DEF removal - can't run the dual exhaust on the F10 with DEF in there. I'm not touching my car until 4/2020 when CPO runs out. And that is if I keep it. Could be perfect without all the emissions garbage but still waiting for more data to rack up on this configuration. The Bosch CP4 HPFP is the smoking gun on the N57. Would like to see someone come up with a bypass kit (it's a recirc fuel system). They do it on the Cummins and Powerstroke CP4-based diesels.

Filippo

God, I would kill if I could do deletes in MA. They suddenly become reliable, have a boat load of tq, and get great MPG.

If I do deletes I end up with 2 not ready codes and I can only pass with one not ready in MA. Shame. Looking back on things I never should have bought the E70 as a DD for myself. I wish someone would come up with a downpipe fix or something similar.

I just replaced my EGR in my E70 as it was cracked. I hope BMW is going to pay me for the repair costs or make it up somehow...assuming mine is covered that is.

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
God, I would kill if I could do deletes in MA. They suddenly become reliable, have a boat load of tq, and get great MPG.

If I do deletes I end up with 2 not ready codes and I can only pass with one not ready in MA. Shame. Looking back on things I never should have bought the E70 as a DD for myself. I wish someone would come up with a downpipe fix or something similar.

I just replaced my EGR in my E70 as it was cracked. I hope BMW is going to pay me for the repair costs or make it up somehow...assuming mine is covered that is.

Is it possible to change the connector on the ones on the market already? I know they have some adjustment to get the voltage right

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Is it possible to change the connector on the ones on the market already? I know they have some adjustment to get the voltage right

I'm sorry I dont understand. I contacted the people who offer the custom flashed m57 tunes and they said it would show 2 not ready.

Someone needs to make a dp fix like for the n54. Than I would only have 1 not ready and could pass in MA and I assume a number of other states. Big market for such a product. Probably would cost 50 bucks tops to make and you could sell for 250.

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
I'm sorry I dont understand. I contacted the people who offer the custom flashed m57 tunes and they said it would show 2 not ready.

Someone needs to make a dp fix like for the n54. Than I would only have 1 not ready and could pass in MA and I assume a number of other states. Big market for such a product. Probably would cost 50 bucks tops to make and you could sell for 250.

if the sensor is just a dumb narrow band sensor that uses a voltage range provided by another dp fix with the same amount of wires the connectors could be changed. If it does random sensor testing it may not work

Have you checked with these folks supposedly they offer a universal simulator that can be made to work with anything

http://www.area74.ca/io2/

TorqueAddict

Mar 13, 2019
Ride
F30

Have you tried to contact Andrew rodriguez of tune my euro? N57 can be deleted, no problems with that.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Yes several folks can do it. Andrew is good. Dimitry @ DUDMD is also very good with N57. The problem most people have is visual inspection, I suspect.

Filippo

Reactions: TorqueAddict

TorqueAddict

Mar 13, 2019
Ride
F30
Yes several folks can do it. Andrew is good. Dimitry @ DUDMD is also very good with N57. The problem most people have is visual inspection, I suspect.

Filippo

Gut the DPF and SCR? Even better keep the factory DOC intact - less stink!

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Do just the DPF's clog? As you know the DPF/DOC is a one-piece unit on the N57. They replaced mine as a "courtesy" replacement ($3k) and when I pressed that I appreciated the courtesy but that in fact it was covered under federal law, they refused to categorize it as a warranty replacement lol. Anyway I digress. They replaced the sensors there too. And the MAF. Waiting now on the EGR warranty availability. We're only $25k deep in warranty work on my N57 since I bought it @ 23k miles. We'll see if the CPO warranty will reach the total price I paid the dealer when I bought the car, before the warranty dies out next April. Can you imagine? That said, killer motor, and once the suspension is fixed drives like a BMW not an Oldsmobile. I have an interim suspension solution, but @barry@3DM and Ohlins have the F10 on the books to shake out solution far better than the motorsport one - hopefully should be on the shaker rig @ Ohlins some time this year.

Someone needs to come up with an HPFP bypass kit or CP3 downgrade as they do for the trucks. Then I'll bite on the rest.

Filippo

TorqueAddict

Mar 13, 2019
Ride
F30
Yeah. HPFP is an issue. DPF/DOC is a single unit, but if one cuts it open, there are two sections inside. First is the DOC, then ceramic liner to burn soot. This has been successfully done on M57's DPF's.

Reactions: fmorelli

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Yeah its too bad BMW makes the dealer send that stuff back to be crushed. I would not have minded the dead pipe :)

Filippo

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Do just the DPF's clog? As you know the DPF/DOC is a one-piece unit on the N57. They replaced mine as a "courtesy" replacement ($3k) and when I pressed that I appreciated the courtesy but that in fact it was covered under federal law, they refused to categorize it as a warranty replacement lol. Anyway I digress. They replaced the sensors there too. And the MAF. Waiting now on the EGR warranty availability. We're only $25k deep in warranty work on my N57 since I bought it @ 23k miles. We'll see if the CPO warranty will reach the total price I paid the dealer when I bought the car, before the warranty dies out next April. Can you imagine? That said, killer motor, and once the suspension is fixed drives like a BMW not an Oldsmobile. I have an interim suspension solution, but @barry@3DM and Ohlins have the F10 on the books to shake out solution far better than the motorsport one - hopefully should be on the shaker rig @ Ohlins some time this year.

Someone needs to come up with an HPFP bypass kit or CP3 downgrade as they do for the trucks. Then I'll bite on the rest.

Filippo

You should ditch the vehicle the second the warranty runs out ;) BMW have to be upside down on it after all of your warranty work + the original owner's warranty work. Not to mention overhead, courtesy vehicles etc.