BQ Tuning N54 Intake Conversion

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
If I understand correctly, they are rerouting the inlets over the engine bay in a more fashionable way than we've seen in other DIY methods, back before the stock location and relocated inlets we're now familiar with were available?

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Basically. Inlets go over the top and use the F01/F02 engine cover to allow vac canister delete. It has a little res for vacuum built in to engine cover. Meanwhile I've had my vac cans deleted for over a year.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
  • Engine cover
  • Intake tubes

Go to realoem and look up a 2011ish 740. They have N54s.
Engine diagram for cover, fuel prep for intake

Reactions: terryd5150

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
hmm i like this idea very clean and subtle

mounting the inlets this way requires a longer intake filter pipe yea?

but if it goes over the top it wont be sandwiched between the fan and the engine...

and this doesnt look rhd compatible

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
hmm i like this idea very clean and subtle

mounting the inlets this way requires a longer intake filter pipe yea?

but if it goes over the top it wont be sandwiched between the fan and the engine...

and this doesnt look rhd compatible
There is a custom piping being made apparently. BQ said he will explain it more.

BQTuning

Corporal
Jul 18, 2017
www.bqtuning.com
Ride
E89 Z4 35i 6MT M Sport
Hello everyone.

BMW made two intake system styles for the N54 motor. The more prominent style that everyone is acquainted with is what is found in the 1 series, 3 series, 5 series and E89 . A lil RealOEM search of the engine block will pull this up http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...35is&mg=11&sg=10&diagId=11_3731&q=11110443605

The style 2 intake system as shown in the OP are found on the F01/F02 740i and the E71 X6 35ix with the exception the X6 intake box differs. IMO, the 740i intake box has a wider area straight flow design.

Now everyone has their likes and dislikes, my motivation in this is to bring something that keeps the OEM look but able to delivery similar or better performance to whats currently out their and lasts longer. This is not the best bang for the buck option, this is an option keeping your BMW looking like a BMW under the hood rather than trying to make a German car look like an American car or a ricer.

There is more to it than the parts shown, you have also the vacuum converters that I swapped for the 740i to run the proper diameter vacuum lines, which are larger, that connect to the vacuum box integrated into the engine cover.

After the inlets are made to go with this setup, people can source where they want to order their parts from used or new. We will supply the custom inlets as the OEM inlets will not fit the turbos for non 740i/X6 cars. The reason why is they are designed with a snap lock connection that connecting to the adapter on the TDO3 turbos specific for the 740i/X6
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...740i&mg=11&sg=50&diagId=11_3977&q=11657593022

211433_x300.jpg

The custom inlet will be aluminum and heat coated. They will have an inside 2" diameter straight to stock or upgraded turbos, with compatible couplers, which will connect to the OEM inlet port that connects to the intake box

2000x1120.jpeg.jpg

2000x1120.jpeg.jpg

2000x1120.jpeg.jpg

Aluminum inlets will last longer, and are more durable. The catch to all this though, for the 1, 3, and 5 series this setup is not compatible with the factory cowl that came with these cars. The 3 series cars have an alternative to do an M3 cowl conversion to allow more engine room in the back. I dont know whats available for the 1 series as far as what can be converted to allow more engine backroom to fit the setup in the OP. We havent tested fitment on any of these yet though. My E89 Z4 was the best candidate for the conversion due to the amount of space it has under the hood with no issues so we can move on to obtain other relevant data before turning to the 1 and 3 series cars IF it will be worth it.

- Dimitri
[email protected]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Dimitri,

I think the higher profile of the engine cover is offset by the conduit clip being moved to the back of the engine near the firewall. Have you looked to see if that clip would be compatible as far as real estate on the 1/3/Z?

AD-ENG

Corporal
Oct 22, 2016
I get the concept, but the e88, e90, e92 etc n54 doesn't have the dme on the intake. So your new piping is right where the engine harness crosses over from the dme box to vc.

BQTuning

Corporal
Jul 18, 2017
www.bqtuning.com
Ride
E89 Z4 35i 6MT M Sport
Dimitri,

I think the higher profile of the engine cover is offset by the conduit clip being moved to the back of the engine near the firewall. Have you looked to see if that clip would be compatible as far as real estate on the 1/3/Z?

I am not sure what clip it is your referencing. Nothing is moved back actually. The engine cover is raised upwards in the rear half instead (to the height the cowl in other N54 cars). The regular engine cover on the 1, 3, 5 series and the Z4 with the N54 have a long engine cover which is supported by 4 mx6 screws that lays proportionate and flat with the engine head cover ie covering all the cylinder banks

The 740i/X6 engine cover for the N54 is about 3/4 the size of the regular N54 engine cover. They both bolt to the front similarly but with a different bracket. However they do not bolt up the same in the rear. The Inlet port piece (shown in previous post) that goes over the engine connecting to the intake box is actually the rear of the engine cover. Behind it is the cable housing guide that takes up the other 1/4 of the engine head cover. The cable housing guide, the inlet port and the engine cover together make up an assembly cover.

I can only be certain on the Z4 in regards to fitment, I wont be venturing into the 1, and 3 series with this till after everything is completed first with the Z

BQTuning

Corporal
Jul 18, 2017
www.bqtuning.com
Ride
E89 Z4 35i 6MT M Sport
I get the concept, but the e88, e90, e92 etc n54 doesn't have the dme on the intake. So your new piping is right where the engine harness crosses over from the dme box to vc.

The cable(s) you are referencing has enough length, and slack, without strain or stretch, to be seated where the two rear bolts for the regular engine cover go once the cowl has been removed or converted to a M3 cowl as far as the 3 series is concerned. They will not be in the way of the inlet path. The 740i cable housing guide, which is part of the setup in the OP, is seated to the rear, over cylinder 6, where the rear screws go for the regular 1, 3 series and Z4 engine cover.

For the 1 series I will have to dig to see whats out their to open up the rear of the engine.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017
Magnolia Texas
www.magnoliaautomotive.com
Ride
All kinds'a stuff
Dimitry do you have any clue if this set-up will fit over Precision Raceworks new coils? I really like this and have already sourced some used components locally will need to see if it will fit over this coil kit, and a 5 series, before I buy the parts and wait for your tubing. I would be willing to install a raised hood if it is needed.

Vernon

BQTuning

Corporal
Jul 18, 2017
www.bqtuning.com
Ride
E89 Z4 35i 6MT M Sport
Dimitry do you have any clue if this set-up will fit over Precision Raceworks new coils? I really like this and have already sourced some used components locally will need to see if it will fit over this coil kit, and a 5 series, before I buy the parts and wait for your tubing. I would be willing to install a raised hood if it is needed.

Vernon

IDK, does the regular N54 engine cover from the 1,3,5, and Z fit over the PR coils ? If yes, then yes this conversion should have no issues in theory. If no then thats the answer I assume or someone will have to be crafty with the underneath padding

- Dimitri