BQ Tuning N54 Intake Conversion

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Lovely... pricing and RHD compatible? the only difference is the inlet piping from turbos....otherwise everything else should be fine

BQTuning

Corporal
Jul 18, 2017
www.bqtuning.com
Ride
E89 Z4 35i 6MT M Sport
Lovely... pricing and RHD compatible? the only difference is the inlet piping from turbos....otherwise everything else should be fine

Dont know what the pricing will be on the custom inlets. Pricing on the OEM parts needed will be listed after the project is done for people to source on their own if they want them new or used based on pricing.

I haven't looked into RHD of what will differ .

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Dont know what the pricing will be on the custom inlets. Pricing on the OEM parts needed will be listed after the project is done for people to source on their own if they want them new or used based on pricing.

I haven't looked into RHD of what will differ .

umm...the lovely shaft that connects steering wheel to rack is what differs :cool: its in the way...
i have to lower the subframe to access rear turbo wastegates...

E92 420

Corporal
Jul 8, 2017
United Kingdom
Ride
BMW e92 335i
They most certainly never released one in the uk. And even if they did make one for Aus or Japan etc.. then the 7s engine bay would be larger than a 3 or 1 series to accommodate this kind of intake

E92 420

Corporal
Jul 8, 2017
United Kingdom
Ride
BMW e92 335i
That's funny as I checked real oem before posting! But thanks for Clarifying. Now after studying the real oem pics it's even clearer it won't fit a 1 or 3 series. Look at hot side charge pipe on the 7. Loads more room between engine and side of engine bay for It to Be routed/shaped that way. Also with the 7 being wider the steering shaft will sit further away from the engine compared to a 3 series. Hence why this intake can be accommodated on a 7

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
That's funny as I checked real oem before posting! But thanks for Clarifying. Now after studying the real oem pics it's even clearer it won't fit a 1 or 3 series. Look at hot side charge pipe on the 7. Loads more room between engine and side of engine bay for It to Be routed/shaped that way. Also with the 7 being wider the steering shaft will sit further away from the engine compared to a 3 series. Hence why this intake can be accommodated on a 7
I guess we will just have to wait and see how it turns out. He did mention making custom outlets up to the union under the engine cover. So, it very well may be able to fit. At the very least it leaves any diy people only two small sections to make themselves.

BQTuning

Corporal
Jul 18, 2017
www.bqtuning.com
Ride
E89 Z4 35i 6MT M Sport
Part 2

1120x2000.jpeg.a50fd7a52da34075b28faf5dae1c587e.jpg
1120x2000.jpeg.7f21bff32ac048fd95cdd1492a0bfcea.jpg
1120x2000.jpeg.58f530a2ef3f4997a2d15b06a20ea7a4.jpg

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Will the normal boost solenoids work, or are the 7 series solenoids required? Perhaps you're still finding out :)

BQTuning

Corporal
Jul 18, 2017
www.bqtuning.com
Ride
E89 Z4 35i 6MT M Sport
Will the normal boost solenoids work, or are the 7 series solenoids required? Perhaps you're still finding out :)

If I am understanding correctly they are the same http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...740i&mg=11&sg=15&diagId=11_3967&q=11367585425 .

If your talking about the vacuum converters mentioned above, I didnt even bother as the setup showed larger diameter vacuum hoses going in/out of the vacuum box thats integrated into the engine cover. The bigger vacuum hoses just slipped off the old vacuum converters, and I wasn't going the zip tie route on this. This had me thinking about the VTT thing that they stress a lot about in regards to vacuum lines on this platform. I just decided not to question it and stuck with what the BMW engineers had changed. I did have some wastegate rattle when cold and when shifting on the low side, now all that is gone.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Haven't read through everything but this looks pretty cool actually. To those I saw comparing this to a vacuum canister delete it looks more like a conversion. Much better inlet routing here than OEM for sure.

BQTuning

Corporal
Jul 18, 2017
www.bqtuning.com
Ride
E89 Z4 35i 6MT M Sport
Yesterday I did some prep work on a 335is for a roll racing event. Checked for clearance, and there will have to be a different intake route for the 3 series and more likely the 1 series apposed to what I am doing on the Z4 in making custom inlets for the conversion setup

TFT and MMP make aluminium inlets, right ? These fit of course with some relocation of the coolant reservoir tank. So where they come up, and the DCI lodged, the inlets piping can be routed and extended to the OEM Y inlet going over the engine. When the vacuum canisters are removed the reservoir only needs to be moved up where the vacuum canisters use to sit and not to the other side of the engine bay. This will opening up the room in that area needed for the extension.

Last edited:

terryd5150

Corporal
Mar 4, 2017
Ride
2008 E92 335i 2009 E90 335i
Yesterday I did some prep work on a 335is for a roll racing event. Checked for clearance, and there will have to be a different intake route for the 3 series and more likely the 1 series apposed to what I am doing on the Z4 in making custom inlets for the conversion setup

TFT and MMP make aluminium inlets, right ? These fit of course with some relocation of the coolant reservoir tank. So where they come up, and the DCI lodged, the inlets piping can be routed and extended to the OEM Y inlet going over the engine. When the vacuum canisters are removed the reservoir only needs to be moved up where the vacuum canisters use to sit and not to the other side of the engine bay. This will opening up the room in that area needed for the extension.

Have you thought about how you're going to route the incoming air into the airbox?

BQTuning

Corporal
Jul 18, 2017
www.bqtuning.com
Ride
E89 Z4 35i 6MT M Sport
Have you thought about how you're going to route the incoming air into the airbox?

Only the Z4 atm. The current pre-intake box connection piece rfom teh 740i will be used as a mockup to 3D print an adapter to connect to the suction snorkel for the Z4. This same adapter can be used with the 1 or 3 series who want to route air from their original snorkel location also.