Atacama Yellow Z4 2.0

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Hello everyone…

The 2.0 refers to my second AY E89..not that it’s a 2 litre engine…

Had a 2012 AY20i since 2017…often pondered about the N54 powered versions but horror stories on injectors, turbos, adaptive dampers, HPFP etc etc deterred me, primarily too rich for my wallet.

Times change and more disposable income and a fully spec’d 2011 appeared on the radar.

So despite having modded the N20 version almost to perfection decided to take the plunge.

Obviously having tweaked the N2O to near perfection, the stock 35is was blandly underwhelming…nearly handed it back to the dealer.

Anyway decided to stick with it..so now removing all the high value items of the N20 and where possible refitting them to the N54 and if not possible selling them off.

Purchased a Quaife LSD, Ohlins R&T suspension, along with H&R ARBs to start addressing the wayward handling issues.

I’ll create a build thread shortly but thought I would re-introduce myself.

Attachments

• F30C6446-4CA3-4B22-97E8-B4100CCBF697.jpeg
    F30C6446-4CA3-4B22-97E8-B4100CCBF697.jpeg
    582.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 757001FD-FDE5-40AC-91A9-79AA7A7BE998.jpeg
    757001FD-FDE5-40AC-91A9-79AA7A7BE998.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Asbjorn

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Sounds like you already bought your suspension stuff but I would hit up @barry@3DM or talk to @fmorelli he has a very nice suspension and I am sure can make it handle fantastic

Once you get the maintenance stuff out of the way the n54 can be a decent engine especially upgraded.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I believe he's in Europe. Öhlins R&T and Quaife are a great choice - looks like he's well on his way!

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Welcome aboard. Looking forward to it!
Thank you..compared to your pathfinding odyssey I suspect my journey will be small beer but I will chronicle it anyway…

Thanks for your detailed documentation of your journey..it’s been very helpful at times 👍

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Sounds like you already bought your suspension stuff but I would hit up @barry@3DM or talk to @fmorelli he has a very nice suspension and I am sure can make it handle fantastic

Once you get the maintenance stuff out of the way the n54 can be a decent engine especially upgraded.
Thanks..I have the benefit of time on this project..Ohlins have developed some newer products to address the issues that adaptive suspension can have ..

I’m getting a few basics done like new plugs n coils and an inlet valve de-coke than I’ll do a baseline dyno run..

First stage is a MHD flash to stage 1+ then around the new year fir my Wagner Evo inter cooler and probably some VSRF down pipes along with revised intake plumbing ..

I have quite a lot of work to move the high value items from my 20i such as the brakes / audio systems plus retrofit the stock items prior to its sale..

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
The BMW adaptive suspension is rather low quality. The Öhlins damper design is, technologically, a different animal (from K&W, Bilstein, Sachs, and so on). You'll definitely be happy. Ride improves as does handling. Most are used to handling improvement with harshness.

If you find your rear adjustment on ride height to be out of adjustment range with the Öhlins supplied rear spring, send me a PM, and I can help with that.

My build is effusive at times - I'd hope others would get there with far less effort and dead ends. I really only documented my car because, as I got into it, we discovered that the E89 was unique in many maddening ways (compared to the traditional E8x/E9x, even E46 and E85 parts).

Enjoy!

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
The BMW adaptive suspension is rather low quality. The Öhlins damper design is, technologically, a different animal (from K&W, Bilstein, Sachs, and so on). You'll definitely be happy. Ride improves as does handling. Most are used to handling improvement with harshness.

If you find your rear adjustment on ride height to be out of adjustment range with the Öhlins supplied rear spring, send me a PM, and I can help with that.

My build is effusive at times - I'd hope others would get there with far less effort and dead ends. I really only documented my car because, as I got into it, we discovered that the E89 was unique in many maddening ways (compared to the traditional E8x/E9x, even E46 and E85 parts).

Enjoy!
All noted …thnx

Like you discovered that many parts are similar to, but it quite the same, as other E90 series cars..

I‘m hoping that the Ohlins along with the M3 steering parts and H&R make the necessary improvement..

I’m riding on Zito 935s 8.5J and 9.5J with Goodyear Assy 5 235/40 18 and 265/35 18 and they helped a lot against the dreadful run flats…

Part of my issues are that I live in Scotland where we have lots of fast but bumpy roads, a lot single track so looking for good ride height and ride control, as well as good handling. So those lowered springs and kits from Eibach , KW etc don’t work for me.

The 20i had Bilstein B8 dampers along with M3 parts, Quaife LSD and H&R ARBs along with said wheels n tyres..

Ride quality and handling were great even though I’d pushed power from 185 bhp and 300nm to 305 bhp and 450 no using a big MHI turbo kit.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Some people complain about the electric steering. I personally think it is excellent. I also believe part of the trick is running a monoball tension strut. This has always been the case with BMWs, that the tension strut (or thrust arm in prior designs) was not conducive to steering response. Just to be clear, I would not run the M3 tension strut, since it is rubber.

You may have bumpy roads, but the countryside view makes up for it. :laughing:

One quick thing I'd recommend - in the rear, there are little humps in the inner trunk liner, where the upper shock mounts reside. I cut those humps about 2/3rds of the way around, so I could lift the liner and access the top shock mounts. Taking apart the Z4 trunk is just a pain ...

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Some people complain about the electric steering. I personally think it is excellent. I also believe part of the trick is running a monoball tension strut. This has always been the case with BMWs, that the tension strut (or thrust arm in prior designs) was not conducive to steering response. Just to be clear, I would not run the M3 tension strut, since it is rubber.

You may have bumpy roads, but the countryside view makes up for it. :laughing:

One quick thing I'd recommend - in the rear, there are little humps in the inner trunk liner, where the upper shock mounts reside. I cut those humps about 2/3rds of the way around, so I could lift the liner and access the top shock mounts. Taking apart the Z4 trunk is just a pain ...
All noted..do you have a part number / picture of the monoball tension strut?

We are blessed to have thousands of miles of roads and countryside, largely unpopulated and not over regulated to enjoy a good 'hoon' and then stop and admire the vistas..of which there are many..just need the right wet weather gear for the car..

I see the Ohlins installtion guide makes reference to the rear liner!

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
A bunch of vendors sell various versions. One can purchase the monoball, and press into a new arm, and I believe they also sell complete assemblies. Here are a few links:

I run the AKG, which are not sealed (my car doesn't really see weather).

I suspect you can find the equivalent far closer to you at less shipping cost, etc.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
A bunch of vendors sell various versions. One can purchase the monoball, and press into a new arm, and I believe they also sell complete assemblies. Here are a few links:

I run the AKG, which are not sealed (my car doesn't really see weather).

I suspect you can find the equivalent far closer to you at less shipping cost, etc.Grrat+
Thanks…another goodie to add to my ‘to do list’👍