Anti Surge Housings Explaination

328ijunkie

Jun 14, 2017
Ride
Many
Tyler wanted me to post this here :)
Since there seems to be some misnomers on the purpose and design of a 'Anti Surge' Housing on a turbo i thought i would save everyone the second of googling it and let it get clarified.
This is Compressor surge:
An anti surge housing is designed to prevent that. It is not designed to take the place of a BOV. it does not relieve the shockwave made by slamming the throttle shut and sending 20+psi worth of airflow backwards in the charge piping and stalling the compressor wheel. it is designed to relieve pressure ON Throttle. It is designed to move the surge line over on the compressor map. Thus the ANTI SURGE. Surge under WOT is 100X more destructive to a compressor wheel/bearing assembly but both are still not good and improper for turbo health. Whether this 'works' for some people is besides the point.
A "race car" running systems in place to pull power when shifting or 'no lift shifting' dont run BOVs because a fully closed throttle blade after WOT at 20+ PSI of boost is rare.
A street car doing multiple aggressive WOT to closed throttle like most of you guys do every day absolutely must have a means to relieve intake pressure.
again there is 20+ links of people further explaining this all over google.
-An Engineer. (not one having done anything in school relating to turbos
1f609.png
;) )
786644-0001_2.jpg
surge_line.jpg

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Does anyone have any opinion on the surge housing design? The garret style vs the bullet hole style ala PTE?

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
You largely see on throttle surge when your motor is too small for the turbo. On throttle surge rips thrust bearings apart. Its way worst then off throttle surge.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
But wait, what about my super sweet T51r bov mod? lmao.

Thank you for posting this :)

The spool on my 6266 is already pretty loud at 3k+. I thought about doing it but figured I'd probably get annoyed.

328ijunkie

Jun 14, 2017
Ride
Many
Does anyone have any opinion on the surge housing design? The garret style vs the bullet hole style ala PTE?
I've not seen data comparing the ported shroud vs pte design. Likely negligible difference

You largely see on throttle surge when your motor is too small for the turbo. On throttle surge rips thrust bearings apart. Its way worst then off throttle surge.
Agreed. Listen to that YouTube video. Makes me cringe

But wait, what about my super sweet T51r bov mod? lmao.

Thank you for posting this :)

Lolol welcome!