Another Possible Leaky Injector or Just Injector Problems in General

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
So I replaced my injectors in March of 2018 from FCP Euro. Thank god I used them.
Yesterday I finished up the RB External OCC kit install with ports plugged and a new VC gasket. Also had the PR Coils replacing my BL Coils last week. I put the car back together and it misfired...#5 and #6. So...

1. Took spark plugs out, saw that there was lost of fuel and dirt around the ceramic post, there must have been tons of fuel from the fuel lines that leaked into the plug holes.
2. Used a camera to inspect the piston surface and saw wet fuel and grime inside. So I used a heat gun to dry up fuel. #5 and 6 Spark plugs were black as coal and wet, so changed them.
3. Reinstalled, erased faults and restarted car...same thing again. So took out plugs and they were black but not wet, looked into piston and #6 was still wet...
This goes on for 3x cycles with rotating coils and plugs and the #6 piston is still wet...so I assume leaky injector.
4. Did a live test with Schawben tool to shut off each injector while engine is running... find out that injectors 2 and 4 do absolutely nothing when shutting off or turning on, while other injectors yield immediate changes to engine idle. So I also conclude those injectors are either completely gone or the 2 and 4 banks are so balanced that they do not matter if you shut them off or turn them on in a live test.

Just ordered new set of injectors and plugs under lifetime warranty. Gotta get this car ready for dyno remote tuning in February by Twisted, since I have installed port injection from BMP. It remains unplugged until day of tuning.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions or comments or anyone have similar experience?

VT

2008135i

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
Ride
2008 bmw 135i
Funny you post this... I also replace my injectors this summer to index 12's, and started having a smoking issue with my car. Long story short, compression is good in all cylinders, although cylinder 5's plug is wet / black and has lots of carbon in the cylinder. No miss fire codes, but engine oil and exhaust smell of fuel. I also ordered 1 new injector, as I couldn't find any other issue.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Funny you post this... I also replace my injectors this summer to index 12's, and started having a smoking issue with my car. Long story short, compression is good in all cylinders, although cylinder 5's plug is wet / black and has lots of carbon in the cylinder. No miss fire codes, but engine oil and exhaust smell of fuel. I also ordered 1 new injector, as I couldn't find any other issue.

Did you order from FCP Euro? They had a sale for 800 bucks back then...now they are back to 1200 bucks... I guess there was a reason for the sale. A shitty batch they tried to get rid off perhaps. In any case, it's a learning experience and I only have to come up with the difference since the warranty is for the original price and not the product itself.

2008135i

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
Ride
2008 bmw 135i
Did you order from FCP Euro? They had a sale for 800 bucks back then...now they are back to 1200 bucks... I guess there was a reason for the sale. A shitty batch they tried to get rid off perhaps. In any case, it's a learning experience and I only have to come up with the difference since the warranty is for the original price and not the product itself.

No, I never ordered them when they were on sale. The price jumped to $1500 from FCP and I found ECS tuning had a set for $1200, so I bought from ECS tuning before prices went higher...

I plan on replacing the valve cover and gasket also, as I've seen people post that part of the ccv can clog inside the valve cover and cause smoking issues.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Photo of no. 6 piston top taken a few moments ago...still wet as shit.

Gotta be a leaky injector.
20181230_191750.jpg

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Perhaps they are dishonest and trying to screw you eh? Welcome to the N54 community - if you are a vendor, it is likely your fault and you are likely trying to screw everyone.

Filippo

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Perhaps they are dishonest and trying to screw you eh? Welcome to the N54 community - if you are a vendor, it is likely your fault and you are likely trying to screw everyone.

Filippo

This cannot be determined. It would however be folly to put 100% in ANY company.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d

This cannot be determined. It would however be folly to put 100% in ANY company.
True. Perhaps you're a bumbling idiot who is incapable of actually diagnosing anything and looking to blame others. It would be a folly to put 100% in any person. Hey ... now you and FCP are on even ground. Carry on.

Filippo

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
True. Perhaps you're a bumbling idiot who is incapable of actually diagnosing anything and looking to blame others. It would be a folly to put 100% in any person. Hey ... now you and FCP are on even ground. Carry on.

Filippo

Again, this cannot be determined. It might well be that I am a bumbling idiot who does not know what I am doing. Or it could be a bad batch of injectors. I will soon find out through individual testing of the injectors.

In any case, I am still appreciative of FCP Euro's no questions warranty policy. That does not preclude the possibility that a bad batch was sold. Was it done on purpose with malice? That would be illogical as well as self destructive. Could it be possible that it was sold knowingly? Sure... there is a reason why things are priced differently, whether it's overstock or the seller had special prices from b stock or whatever.

If you are offended by my frankness... that is unfortunate. You act as if I attacked you peronally... strange. If no you have no ideas on the possible issue to help a bumbling idiot, it's better to not get involved and raise your blood pressure and rage.

Last edited:
Reactions: fredcase

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
If you are offended by my frankness... that is unfortunate. You act as if I attacked you peronally... strange. Ifnyou have no ideas on the possible issue to help a bumbling idiot, it's better to not get involved and raise your blood pressure and rage.
Interesting. No I'm not offended at all - you didn't talk about me. But it is interesting that when I put you in the same light as you put FCP, you started talking about being offended. Since you thought it was a good idea to infer FCP's dishonesty and motive as a possibility why do you feel the need to bring offense into the discussion, when we consider the same for you?

Filippo

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Interesting. No I'm not offended at all - you didn't talk about me. But it is interesting that when I put you in the same light as you put FCP, you started talking about being offended. Since you thought it was a good idea to infer FCP's dishonesty and motive as a possibility why do you feel the need to bring offense into the discussion, when we consider the same for you?

Filippo

By your personal attacks I assumed you were offended. You are not aware of this natural question result from personal attacks? Should I have asked if you are happy and feeling good?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
"They had a sale for 800 bucks back then...now they are back to 1200 bucks... I guess there was a reason for the sale. A shitty batch they tried to get rid off perhaps."

1. What do you think the reason is for the nearly 700 dollar reduction in price? I am curious...as I do not know. Do you think there was absolutely no reason to reduce the prices by that much?

2. "A shitty batch they tried to get rid off perhaps." -- What is it about "perhaps" do you not understand, that made you absolutely bent on taking one possible outcome - that I was absolutely blaming them without any other possibility?

Filippo, I have a suspicion...but that is all that it can be. It cannot be blamed on them since I am the person working on my car and it is highly unlikely that such a coincidence would occur. BUT if it is a bad batch...then we will know. For now, I will flash to stock coils and install stock coils and check cylinders again after running the engine. If misfires go away, then PR coils may be a bad batch...which in itself is super duper rare. Regardless of rarity of PR or FCP injectors... the point is, I do not put 100% into any company or person ( including myself ).

IF it turns out the injectors were fine, I will update and fill everyone in. Otherwise, new injectors will either fix or not fix the situation. There is no need to project your emotions onto a simple thread. You are beginning to sound like this other fella named Aaron in this forum. Now HE is a habitual dick that has a chip on his shoulder. I hope you don't become that guy. We're here to help each other, not to insult people who we disagree with.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
That is disappointing on the fcp warranty. They state lifetime warranty, I would want s warranty on the injector, not the price I paid for them.

Reactions: SlowE93

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
That is disappointing on the fcp warranty. They state lifetime warranty, I would want s warranty on the injector, not the price I paid for them.

That would be nice. But I believe it is on price at the time of purchase... otherwise they would not win on their gambles. If we think about their business strategy, they gambled that a particular batch will not be returned and if it were returned, they would only pay for the original purchase price. I would think that is what keeps them from going under from cheaters... and we know there are tons of cheaters out there. Sad fact of life.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
UPDATE:

Ok, I spoke with Robert at Precision Raceworks and he suggested to double check the connectors and make sure they are all aligned and not damaged. These connectors are the ones that go from the coils to the injector triangular connections. Basically the middle man between the coil blocks and the injector connections.

Sure enough, there was one single connector that was damaged and pushed back which is probably the cause of the misfire on 6...in the morning, I will pick up a new connector at PR shop and see if this fixes things... will be glad to return those new injectors if this fixes it.
20181230_233442.jpg

2008135i

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
Ride
2008 bmw 135i
fyi, from what I have gathered, the "cheap" injectors that FCP was selling for $800 is BMW's new injector (cheaper to make and more reliable), but they are using them for warranty and stopped selling them to the public. Since then we have been forced to buy the more expensive ones (different vender?). Check the part number on your injectors, it should be different then the ones currently sold by FCP.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/difference-between-direct-fuel-injector-13538648937-and-13538616079

Last edited:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
fyi, from what I have gathered, the "cheap" injectors that FCP was selling for $800 is BMW's new injector (cheaper to make and more reliable), but they are using them for warranty and stopped selling them to the public. Since then we have been forced to buy the more expensive ones (different vender?). Check the part number on your injectors, it should be different then the ones currently sold by FCP.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/difference-between-direct-fuel-injector-13538648937-and-13538616079

I heard the opposite with different numbers too. I got the cheaper numbers. In any case, I will keep my fingers crossed and hope I don't have to install the new ones arriving friday.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
By your personal attacks I assumed you were offended. You are not aware of this natural question result from personal attacks? Should I have asked if you are happy and feeling good?
Implying FCP consciously sold you faulty parts at a discount - that is that they are swindlers - was not a personal attack on FCP?

My response was simply to apply the same lens to you as you did to them. On this platform is seems okay by some to make character accusations toward vendors, with little to no proof of intended bad behavior. When you offended FCP, it was ok by you. When I did the same to you, well now that's a personal attack.

Filippo

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Implying FCP consciously sold you faulty parts at a discount - that is that they are swindlers - was not a personal attack on FCP?

1. I never said that they were swindlers, I said "perhaps it could be that they sold a bad batch" and I attributed that to the cheaper price..which is logical.

2. If it were an attack on FCP, it's not an attack on you, so you are in no place to make personal attacks on myself. You are not the moral police so stop trying to be one, lest you get pointed out.

"My response was simply to apply the same lens to you as you did to them. On this platform is seems okay by some to make character accusations toward vendors, with little to no proof of intended bad behavior. When you offended FCP, it was ok by you. When I did the same to you, well now that's a personal attack."

3. Did I not agree with you that it was possible that Incould be an clueless idiot? That is obvious proof that I made no absolute claims that FCP sold defective item on purpose. Also, I reminded you that it would be illogical for them to do so.

Filippo - It does you and me no benefit when you project your bias and anger to my comments. You make yourself look foolish. You do this in response to others here in this forum. It is quite wearisome.

Next time ask yourself "Is he saying this or that?" And then simply ask the commenter if you understand something correctly or misreading it...then you can make your opinions be heard and you will be correct if the person was at fault.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
FCP is meh. I only buy hardware from them at this point.

I had one set of injectors from them fail in ~3k miles and they tried to hassle me on refunding me the ~1500 bucks when I purchased a new set and sent the old ones back. Ultimately they did give my money back though - the warranty was honored but they tried refunding me the cheaper price first I had to insist on the current price for them to honor it. Others had no issues getting the more expensive price refunded without asking, I see no reason why I had to ask.

They also sent me 2 sets of dud pre-cat O2s (temperature / function codes and lean AFRs out of the box). I gave up, sent them all back, and went NTKs.