Another Possible Leaky Injector or Just Injector Problems in General

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
FCP is meh. I only buy hardware from them at this point.

I had one set of injectors from them fail in ~3k miles and they tried to hassle me on refunding me the ~1500 bucks when I purchased a new set and sent the old ones back. Ultimately they did give my money back though - the warranty was honored but they tried refunding me the cheaper price first I had to insist on the current price for them to honor it. Others had no issues getting the more expensive price refunded without asking, I see no reason why I had to ask.

They also sent me 2 sets of dud pre-cat O2s (temperature / function codes and lean AFRs out of the box). I gave up, sent them all back, and went NTKs.

Well, I just installed precisio 9n raceworks connectors and still have misfires on the same cylinders...so moving to next phase, the injectors.

3k miles??? Damn, that's harsh.

Let me get this straight... You bought a set of injectors for $1500 they failed after 3000 miles, and when you tried to return them FCP euro tried to give you their current pricing for the injectors which was cheaper than the price that you bought them for originally?

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
yeah it was bad lol

The current set has been pretty good though running full E85 since July. The set that failed I ordered either late 2017 or early 2018 can't remember.

When did you order the ones that failed?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

I had one set of injectors from them fail in ~3k miles and they tried to hassle me on refunding me the ~1500 bucks when I purchased a new set and sent the old ones back. Ultimately they did give my money back though - the warranty was honored but they tried refunding me the cheaper price first I had to insist on the current price for them to honor it. Others had no issues getting the more expensive price refunded without asking, I see no reason why I had to ask.

They also sent me 2 sets of dud pre-cat O2s (temperature / function codes and lean AFRs out of the box). I gave up, sent them all back, and went NTKs.

What were your symptoms when the Injectors failed at 3000 miles?

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
What were your symptoms when the Injectors failed at 3000 miles?

wet piston tops
long cranks when the car sits with the engine warm for 45-90 minutes
wildly swinging STFTs part throttle cruising and surging around 2500 rpm (-25% to +25%)

WOT the car would still run fine, but it was obvious they were leaking and had fuel metering issues at low / medium load. I wasn't about to risk fuel dilution and wrecked bearings on my built engine though.

Reactions: matreyia

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
yeah it was bad lol

The current set has been pretty good though running full E85 since July. The set that failed I ordered either late 2017 or early 2018 can't remember.

When did you order the ones that failed?

March of 2018 ordered and installed.

• Informative
Reactions: veer90

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Around the same time... possibly an injector supplier issue? Although that doesn't explain my O2 sensors ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Around the same time... possibly an injector supplier issue? Although that doesn't explain my O2 sensors ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Eh....who knows. It's all so opaque it's pointless to try to get to the bottom of things.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
This is actually quite amusing.
1. I never said that they were swindlers, I said "perhaps it could be that they sold a bad batch" and I attributed that to the cheaper price..which is logical.
Here's what you actually said, which caused my initial response:
Did you order from FCP Euro? They had a sale for 800 bucks back then...now they are back to 1200 bucks... I guess there was a reason for the sale. A shitty batch they tried to get rid off perhaps.
"the reason" for the sale" was they perhaps had a "shitty batch of injectors they tried get rid of". So FCP, knowing it had a shitty (a.k.a. defective) batch of injectors, knowingly sold you broken products at a discount. Perhaps. If that was true, it would be a dishonest practice and they'd be trying to take your money for broken products. Hence my comment - swindling.
Next time ask yourself "Is he saying this or that?" And then simply ask the commenter if you understand something correctly or misreading it...then you can make your opinions be heard and you will be correct if the person was at fault.
I actually read what you wrote - you clearly didn't since you re-wrote something completely different as the response. Your advise is good though, and I highly recommend you follow it. That's my last post on this. Carry on :).

Filippo

• Dumb
Reactions: Sshec152

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
This is actually quite amusing.

Here's what you actually said, which caused my initial response:

"the reason" for the sale" was they perhaps had a "shitty batch of injectors they tried get rid of". So FCP, knowing it had a shitty (a.k.a. defective) batch of injectors, knowingly sold you broken products at a discount. Perhaps. If that was true, it would be a dishonest practice and they'd be trying to take your money for broken products. Hence my comment - swindling.

I actually read what you wrote - you clearly didn't since you re-wrote something completely different as the response. Your advise is good though, and I highly recommend you follow it. That's my last post on this. Carry on :).

Filippo

How is it that you can copy and paste yet not understand what you read?

What is it about "PERHAPS" do you not understand? YES PERHAPS the reason for the cheap price was they had sold B stock or questionable stock. It doesn't mean that it is the only possibility, nor does it mean that they absolutely did that. Are you trying to defend something that you and I do not know, even as I have said "perhaps" you insist that I say they did it? And you defending them as if you absolutely KNOW they did not do anything questionable? Well that is rich...

I say it MIGHT be a result of "SWINDLING" as you put it, while you go apeshit like it is impossible that could be the case. OK Mr. Psychic.

You are making yourself look foolish.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
"...So FCP, knowing it had a shitty (a.k.a. defective) batch of injectors, knowingly sold you broken products at a discount. Perhaps. If that was true, it would be a dishonest practice and they'd be trying to take your money for broken products. Hence my comment - swindling.

I actually read what you wrote - you clearly didn't since you re-wrote something completely different as the response." < Filippo

Obviously you did NOT read what I wrote but chose to fill in the blanks with your preferred version instead of simply asking for clarification. Good luck living a stress free life dude.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Update:

I returned to stock coils and flashed stock coils on MHD. Same misfires same banks. Same wet pistons. So, definitely not coils related or plugs related.

Only one link left to test. Injectors.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
SOLVED.

Ok...let the Idiot speak now for all future potential n54 coil people...the #5 wire to the injector terminal is as long as the #6 wire and 5 may appear to be grouped with the #6. Do not let that fool you. In my case the wires were incorrectly connected.

Upon third inspection I saw the wires were suspiciously oriented and could go both ways to either terminal. So I switched them and that was the issue.

Now to process an rma for the injectors!

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90

How did you diagnose the o2 sensor issue? Was it just a swap to new o2 sensors and then just lean afrs? I think I may be running into the same issue.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
lean AFRs, temperature / function codes for the sensor, and the car ran like crap

Hmm Ok.

I had to swap turbos and during the time my car sat for about a month with a full tank of E85. Put everything back together and trims are going crazy. Been playing around with swapping injectors (already replaced 2), swapping HPFP, and checking various things. Put a bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner in it and took it for a drive. Was able to do a few pulls without it going fully lean. Not sure if it was because I got the car nice and warm or if something in the fuel system got gummed up and the cleaner is working. After a few weeks if my trims are not looking as good as I like them I may swap the brand new pre cat o2 sensors to my older ones and see if anything significant changes.

Thanks!

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Filippo was just being coy with you... it was a joke that went over your head. You are getting really defensive about the very bold accusation you made. Using the word "perhaps" doesn't make it any better since that is the ONLY option you gave as to what could have happened.

Not sure why people are saying this. Their policy is to replace at no cost. Period. The issues arises when you DO NOT rebuy the EXACT same item. Like, moving from index 12 to some new part number. In those cases, you may pay more, or, you may actually get REFUNDED a few dollars of store credit. FCP is very good about this and it's all clearly written on their site.

There is also 0% chance FCP has any clue how an injector is going to perform in a vehicle.

With that being said:

ECS Tuning has done this to me MANY times. If you ever find a too good to be true price on ECS tuning website AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS. Every single time the item I have received did NOT match the listing for what was being sold. I once bought a Dual sheer selector rod for dirt cheap, it ended up being a revision that was KNOWN to not fit (defective). It was old stock they were clearing out to get off their shelf despite KNOWING the DSSR didn't fit. Another time I bought a head gasket for $30. Turns out it was packaged by the manufacturer incorrectly and it was really an N53 head gasket in an N55 package. They obviously knew about this defect, hence the clearance price, and were just trying to get them RMA'd. They seem to do anything to get shit off their shelf and they don't seem to care about your down time or your labor fees for having to do everything twice.

Last edited:

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Not sure why people are saying this. Their policy is to replace at no cost. Period. The issues arises when you DO NOT rebuy the EXACT same item. Like, moving from index 12 to some new part number. In those cases, you may pay more, or, you may actually get REFUNDED a few dollars of store credit. FCP is very good about this and it's all clearly written on their site.

There is also 0% chance FCP has any clue how an injector is going to perform in a vehicle.

Both sets I had were 12s... exact same part

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Filippo was just being coy with you... it was a joke that went over your head. You are getting really defensive about the very bold accusation you made. Using the word "perhaps" doesn't make it any better since that is the ONLY option you gave as to what could have happened.

With that being said:

ECS Tuning has done this to me MANY times. If you ever find a too good to be true price on ECS tuning website AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS. Every single time the item I have received did NOT match the listing for what was being sold. I once bought a Dual sheer selector rod for dirt cheap, it ended up being a revision that was KNOWN to not fit (defective). It was old stock they were clearing out to get off their shelf despite KNOWING the DSSR didn't fit. Another time I bought a head gasket for $30. Turns out it was packaged by the manufacturer incorrectly and it was really an N53 head gasket in an N55 package. They obviously knew about this defect, hence the clearance price, and were just trying to get them RMA'd. They seem to do anything to get shit off their shelf and they don't seem to care about your down time or your labor fees for having to do everything twice.

I have had bad experiences with ECS Tuning in terms of quality control on their on sale items. That is why I suggested the same possibility with FCP. What I take issue with is that, even though it was a theory and stated that it was merely a possibility, yet Filippo chose only to interpret it as a straight accusation by me against FCP Euro. He needs to brush up on his English. Furthermore, he needs to stop inventing lurid stories of what he THINKS people wrote in order to avoid getting all riled up about nothing.

"Perhaps they sold them cheap because they were a bad batch of injectors" is NOT THE SAME as "FCP Euro sold me bad injectors at discounted prices". Jesus Christ man...

The longer people take to interpret what is written so it fits their rage...the more they will be unable to see what is written in front of them. He comes to comments with a chip on his shoulder, then belittles people...he offers zero advice, he asks zero questions for clarification, and he digs deep holes for himself. Wasting everyone's time.

In the end, I never try to hide anything. If you read my "SOLVED" comments, I plainly state that it was my error. I do not beat around the bush. Nor am I afraid of people judging my idiocy or errors. In the end, FCP Euro did NOT sell bad batch of injectors, and that's that...eventually as stated before... I would get to the bottom of the issue and find out if the injectors are either good or bad. Thank god they are good.