Technical Aftermarket FPR mounting location?

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
Am I to understand that this device is to replace the fuel pressure regulator with the fuel filter on the driver side? what are the benefits of this unit?

Thanks.

Running an external fuel pressure regulator means that you can (if you want) run one or more pumps directly to a high flow regulator and not lose a significant amount of flow potential like you do when you try to run dual walbro flow through all stock lines/stock regulator. Don't get me wrong, staying with stock regulator works fine, but it definitely becomes a restriction at higher power levels. When does it become a restriction? Depends on fuel, boost, air/fuel, etc, but generally speaking it makes sense to start thinking of this as an option north of 600 whp, and much past 700 whp it needs to be dealt with. We've also sold some setups on the "early" side to customers that don't quite need the higher flow capability but they just want to lay out the fuel system in a simple, clean, logical manner that will provide a large degree of future proofing with respect to turbo choices, etc. down the line. I.e. do it once and be done with anything they were going to throw at a N54.

At what point is a return system really needed?

See above -basically when you run one or more pumps that bypass the stock in-tank regulator, typically done in the pursuit of higher flow potential.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
I was looking at the same idea running an external pump. Having an e60, and will be running e85 and nitrous, this will be a more significant way to boost fuel pressure. Although the DW 400 and Walbros are tried and true,,you are right trying to run all that fuel thru all those hoses without overheating. I know there are other options, but running a 340 in, and a 340 out, may be a better option for me.

Reactions: PFS

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
Yep. The E60's are a little odd, but that's one of the reasons we sell the fittings so that you can piece together your own fuel system -including bulk head fittings to modify your own bucket for an external output as well as a return. Feel free to shoot me an email if you want some help piecing together something custom that suits your needs. A single walbro, run external, will supply a ton more fuel than a stock or even "stage 2" type setup.