Advise on Custom ROM. I8A0S.

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
I know you're stuck in the middle, but not a fan of doing or fixing work for paid tuners. That can be mostly worked out indirectly through public tables without causing much side effect. I'll at least say look at the rpm it occurs and look at tables that impact air in that range.
Thanks for tip. By air you mean charged air or?

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
Paid tuner sending out unlocked tunes like that? I hate to break it to you but your tune that you posted above has the same vin as RFP's free tunes.
I don't want to mess in that tuner trashtalking wars. So no names. The deed is done, I have a problem, and all I want is to finish the tune at the end of a day. As @carabuser said all of them are copies of cobb tunes with several 2kb changes in them ) Thus I'm searching for any hints I can find on the forum.

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
I was also questioning a paid tuner sending out an un-locked bin...
Well, as a customer I don't have any problem with this. All locked tunes can be downloaded easily by hardware like kess. So what is the point of locking? Tell me

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Well, as a customer I don't have any problem with this. All locked tunes can be downloaded easily by hardware like kess. So what is the point of locking? Tell me

Sorry, I hope that didn't come off as snarky, that wasn't my intent. I don't have a problem with it either, I wish not locking was the standard practice. But since that's not the case on this platform, it stood out to me that you had an unlocked bin from a tuner - not that it's a problem, just not normal from what I've seen.

Personally, I don't think tuners would lose much business from not locking. I think most people either don't have the interest, confidence, or time to learn to self tune, and would rather pay somebody to do it for them. Sharing open bins won't change that.

Years ago I spent time on club 3g and evom, and sharing was the norm. People would discover things, and just post up the specific text to add to your defenition files to add new tables, un-solicited. And people were still paying for email tunes from people who built up good reps for tuning.

Anyways, if I could help you out I would, but I don't have the knowledge. I do hope you get your issue sorted out - I know how it feels to know there is a simple solution out there, but just out of reach. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it sorted

Reactions: Sava666

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
That said, I understand not wanting to just give away the fruits of doing the hard slogging, and especially seeing others taking those fruits, calling it their own, and profiting from it. I don't think anybody is obligated to give anything away. That's why I think these forums are awesome, I'm grateful there are so many capable people working together to advance the platform, and posting so others can learn!

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
Sorry, I hope that didn't come off as snarky, that wasn't my intent. I don't have a problem with it either, I wish not locking was the standard practice. But since that's not the case on this platform, it stood out to me that you had an unlocked bin from a tuner - not that it's a problem, just not normal from what I've seen.

Personally, I don't think tuners would lose much business from not locking. I think most people either don't have the interest, confidence, or time to learn to self tune, and would rather pay somebody to do it for them. Sharing open bins won't change that.

Years ago I spent time on club 3g and evom, and sharing was the norm. People would discover things, and just post up the specific text to add to your defenition files to add new tables, un-solicited. And people were still paying for email tunes from people who built up good reps for tuning.

Anyways, if I could help you out I would, but I don't have the knowledge. I do hope you get your issue sorted out - I know how it feels to know there is a simple solution out there, but just out of reach. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it sorted
Yes, the reason was simple. I had a bet with my friend (Evo owner), at that point I did a little work on identifying a potential tuner. I don't have a claim to him. Major plus of I went him is that he speaks Russian, the task was accomplished and I won the bet. As time went on, I was constantly reading forums because of my curiosity and petrol heading and I studied the subject, without having any practice. Yes locking a bin is just a foolproof protection. But for the more or less advanced person, a fan for example, it is not difficult to dump the firmware. I also have *cough Vu cough* tune, another hypetrain tuner.

Thank you for your support. I think it will be over soon. Already want to just drive and enjoy.

Reactions: wheela

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
@RSL Can you advise? Because think I found the right tables. I have followed the trend in logs that Boost target follows Boost Setpoint which is somehow connected with BPTM.
1. Boost Pressure target modifier must have been changed but not lower that 1.0. Also used to taper Boost. OR:
2. Lower BRO. Lower value = lower VE = more boost required to meet load request = higher boost target (mj6234)

Yay or nah?

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Lowering BRO does increase boost target but it also leans out your fuel targets during spool and increases fuel mass target too which will throw trims off.
You're better off with a kink in your boost target.

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
Lowering BRO does increase boost target but it also leans out your fuel targets during spool and increases fuel mass target too which will throw trims off.
You're better off with a kink in your boost target.
Good Lord! I saw your year ago post when you defined BPTM table. You were facing the same problem with RFP OTS for DCT car with exact down sloping during boost onset.
So what if Lean spool disabled?
What's the cons of spooling lean on 93 Oct with E5 addition?
Weren't it designed to spool lean as in stock rom (lean spool table)? I saw 15.7ish AFR during spool on DocVu's.
What is fuel mass target? Can you explain?

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Good Lord! I saw your year ago post when you defined BPTM table. You were facing the same problem with RFP OTS for DCT car with exact down sloping during boost onset.
So what if Lean spool disabled?
What's the cons of spooling lean on 93 Oct with E5 addition?
Weren't it designed to spool lean as in stock rom (lean spool table)? I saw 15.7ish AFR during spool on DocVu's.
What is fuel mass target? Can you explain?
Yes, lean spool is expected but when you adjust that BRO table you go too lean. Disabling lean spool will prevent that behaviour but you still have the problem of it overfuelling in areas where the BRO was changed.

I think people stopped using the table for that reason. I noticed even MHD OTS maps moved it back to stock.

Small changes are probably ok but you're better off with a wonky boost target than messing fuelling up.

Reactions: wheela and Sava666

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
@RSL Can you advise? Because think I found the right tables. I have followed the trend in logs that Boost target follows Boost Setpoint which is somehow connected with BPTM.
1. Boost Pressure target modifier must have been changed but not lower that 1.0. Also used to taper Boost. OR:
2. Lower BRO. Lower value = lower VE = more boost required to meet load request = higher boost target (mj6234)

Yay or nah?
BRO is one you can play with in moderate amounts to effect it, but it does have side effects as carabuser said. There's almost nothing you can change that doesn't effect other things. The table is more basic than that though and effects air flow and boost calculations.

A lot goes on during spool mode, but I've long believed that controlling cylinder pressures from rising too quickly below a safer RPM is one of it's overarching purposes. The side effects of schemes for controlling low rpm cylinder pressures and superknock just happen to also be good for spinning turbos.

Reactions: Sava666 and wheela

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
Yes, lean spool is expected but when you adjust that BRO table you go too lean. Disabling lean spool will prevent that behaviour but you still have the problem of it overfuelling in areas where the BRO was changed.

I think people stopped using the table for that reason. I noticed even MHD OTS maps moved it back to stock.

Small changes are probably ok but you're better off with a wonky boost target than messing fuelling up.
Thats about bro. What about boost pressure modifier? There must be an exit out of this situation.

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
BRO is one you can play with in moderate amounts to effect it, but it does have side effects as carabuser said. There's almost nothing you can change that doesn't effect other things. The table is more basic than that though and effects air flow and boost calculations.

A lot goes on during spool mode, but I've long believed that controlling cylinder pressures from rising too quickly below a safer RPM is one of it's overarching purposes. The side effects of schemes for controlling low rpm cylinder pressures and superknock just happen to also be good for spinning turbos.
That means I have only table which is BLM per gear. Is that enough to make a flat boost target in the area?

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
The table that actually limits boost target proportionally to load below 4k rpm is only used for that purpose and doesn't effect anything else. That's the table that was intended to save components from too much stress at low rpm.

Boost limit multiplier isn't actually boost related, it's load related so it doesn't help unless your target load is restricted.

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020

Correct on the boost request offset table, but you won't see the lean in the AFR unless you go really far out. DME will always try to target set AFR cells, so what you would see is a movement in trims first and foremost. @RSL what is really far out? Lower than 80? Movement in trims can be adjusted via fuel scalars?

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
The table that actually limits boost target proportionally to load below 4k rpm is only used for that purpose and doesn't effect anything else. That's the table that was intended to save components from too much stress at low rpm.
That what I need. Adjust boost target from 3200 till 4000. Does bptm helps?

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020

Can I still use DLS and lower BRO to avoid exteme lean stuff?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211113-211524_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20211113-211524_Chrome.png
    335.3 KB · Views: 57

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
That means I have only table which is BLM per gear. Is that enough to make a flat boost target in the area?
The table doesn't have boost or anything related to boost in the title. You've probably seen it 100 times and still haven't really looked at it yet.

I generally never use lean spool and leave BRO alone. By moderately, I mean maybe 92-93% just in that area for a little push. 80% is silly, let alone lower.