Advise on Custom ROM. I8A0S.

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
Hi. I'm new here. Can anyone experienced take a look at the work done? Attached is my bin made by one tuner. I would like to know your opinion on it. Maybe you have some time?
335i. I8A0S. Stock turbos. 1.75 inlets. I don't have logs yet because I'm far away from home.

RSL, Carabuser I don't know how to tag you but if you seeing this your opinions appreciated >_<

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
It's quite standard for the most part, not much deviation from the old COBB maps in the tables that matter.

Some questionable changes though:

Torque Max Intervention Mode - This table is a torque limiter which becomes active when your BIN has a powerclass misatch. Not sure why the tuner lowered values here, bit pointless because you'll never be driving around with a powerclass mismatch.

Torque Limiter 3 (Unk Limits) - For some reason he's changed this table. This table is inactive in all BIN files so does nothing by default.

Torque Max (Index Array) - This table is the maximum air load the engine is capable of reaching when the turbos are not in operation. This table should never be changed unless you have made changes to the engine which effect the efficiency of airflow through the engine off-boost. Your tuner has set this to 125% all over which is stupid. It'll just make the throttle less predicable and overall ruin the driveability.

Disable lean spool - Why would you ever disable that?

Disable torque reduction by ignition - Again, why would you disable that? It's a toggle that prevents the engine controlling torque through ignition which is typically just when coasting or reducing your throttle input, this means you will be stuck on the main timing table rather than use the complex logic BMW implemented that allows the engine to retard timing to reach the torque target from your pedal movements.

Torque Eff Divisor (Fuel) - Another table that shouldn't be changed. This is used in the DME as a way of compensating for the effect of lambda on the engine output torque. Unfortunately there's no situation in which this table is useful because in other parts of the code BMW use the actual lambda value so changing this table causes the calculated timing values in the DME to get out of sync. Typically when increasing values in this table you will see timing pulls during spool and after shift that are not related to knock, that's because the torque value used to control timing will be higher than the torque request from the pedal.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
In other words it sounds like this tuner doesn’t sound like they know what they’re doing ?
Most don't. Even the latest V9 MHD OTS maps have a lot of those changes in them too so you can bet all other tuners do. People just copy eachother without doing any research.

COBB made the original tunes and Shiv ported them into the TunerPro/XDF setup we currently use and not much has changed since.
There's no money to be made from updating and maintaining the XDFs, anyone who puts effort into adding new tables and doing research is just supporting the instagram chumps that sell crap tunes.

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
It's quite standard for the most part, not much deviation from the old COBB maps in the tables that matter.

Some questionable changes though:

Torque Max Intervention Mode - This table is a torque limiter which becomes active when your BIN has a powerclass misatch. Not sure why the tuner lowered values here, bit pointless because you'll never be driving around with a powerclass mismatch.

Torque Limiter 3 (Unk Limits) - For some reason he's changed this table. This table is inactive in all BIN files so does nothing by default.

Torque Max (Index Array) - This table is the maximum air load the engine is capable of reaching when the turbos are not in operation. This table should never be changed unless you have made changes to the engine which effect the efficiency of airflow through the engine off-boost. Your tuner has set this to 125% all over which is stupid. It'll just make the throttle less predicable and overall ruin the driveability.

Disable lean spool - Why would you ever disable that?

Disable torque reduction by ignition - Again, why would you disable that? It's a toggle that prevents the engine controlling torque through ignition which is typically just when coasting or reducing your throttle input, this means you will be stuck on the main timing table rather than use the complex logic BMW implemented that allows the engine to retard timing to reach the torque target from your pedal movements.

Torque Eff Divisor (Fuel) - Another table that shouldn't be changed. This is used in the DME as a way of compensating for the effect of lambda on the engine output torque. Unfortunately there's no situation in which this table is useful because in other parts of the code BMW use the actual lambda value so changing this table causes the calculated timing values in the DME to get out of sync. Typically when increasing values in this table you will see timing pulls during spool and after shift that are not related to knock, that's because the torque value used to control timing will be higher than the torque request from the pedal.
Carabuser, sorry for the late reply. Thanks on your helpful comments. So, in general is it okay tune for stage2? Regarding your comments, do you recommend to restore stock values?

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
Most don't. Even the latest V9 MHD OTS maps have a lot of those changes in them too so you can bet all other tuners do. People just copy eachother without doing any research.

COBB made the original tunes and Shiv ported them into the TunerPro/XDF setup we currently use and not much has changed since.
There's no money to be made from updating and maintaining the XDFs, anyone who puts effort into adding new tables and doing research is just supporting the instagram chumps that sell crap tunes.
Well, sad to hear that. Especially when you're noob on this platform (

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020

Can you please tell me how to reduce the boost in this tune?

I assume the WGDC Base is what controls the boost (influencing on duty cycle) or is it enough to lower the adders?

Do I need to lower Load Req. also?

For example: I know the boost mean is 21psi in this tune, but I want to lower it to flat 18 psi from 3000rpm tapering down to 15psi north of 5500rpm, assuming I have 1.75 inlets.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
If boost target is too high then lower your load target. If actual boost is too high then lower the wgdc base.

Reactions: Sava666

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I agree with carabuser. Some probably just stopped paying attention and continue to do things because they've been done for so long or they are copying from old files and don't really know why.

Knowing what we do today, some things aren't really ideal or useful, but it's nothing that hasn't been done for a long time either. The rest of the tune looks pretty generic from what I saw, but it's going to run turbos pretty hard. Timing might be a bit optimistic for pump gas and it's pretty rich, but need to start somewhere. I'd do a short single gear log, see what it looks like and do a longer one if it looks reasonable, then go from there.

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
I agree with carabuser. Some probably just stopped paying attention and continue to do things because they've been done for so long or they are copying from old files and don't really know why.

Knowing what we do today, some things aren't really ideal or useful, but it's nothing that hasn't been done for a long time either. The rest of the tune looks pretty generic from what I saw, but it's going to run turbos pretty hard. Timing might be a bit optimistic for pump gas and it's pretty rich, but need to start somewhere. I'd do a short single gear log, see what it looks like and do a longer one if it looks reasonable, then go from there.
It's funny, I've been reading you guys and this forum for a year now, but I've never posted here. Now I've made up my mind. I've been having problems with very low fuel pressure for 2 months and I think I've finally solved it (replaced HPFP, LPFP, FPR, sensors, only EKPM left, almost lost my mind and already lost hope). Right now I am away from the car and can't check anything. I'll get home in 2 weeks and start figuring things out. If anything, please help me guys finish this tune, because I'm tired off paying huge money for my country for small changes made by tuners. Thank you guys for your comments.

Last edited:

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
@RSL @carabuser. Guys Hello. This log is related to the tune above. Please advise why Boost target is so low (collapsing) around 3200-4000 rpm? What tables are responsible for alignment of Boost target into a straight line? PID related?
I'm aware of Fuel pressure. This is old month ago log.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I know you're stuck in the middle, but not a fan of doing or fixing work for paid tuners. That can be mostly worked out indirectly through public tables without causing much side effect. I'll at least say look at the rpm it occurs and look at tables that impact air in that range.

Reactions: Sava666

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
But it can save my time. I'm tired of waiting. Just want to finish this. The only think Is holding me is this "collapse".
Paid tuner sending out unlocked tunes like that? I hate to break it to you but your tune that you posted above has the same vin as RFP's free tunes.

Reactions: wheela