ADE intercooler install

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
Finally got this in. The CSF radiator makes it an even tighter fit, but all in all not too bad.

oGaAOtx.jpg

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I have the ade 1k fmic also. Im 6at and its a tight fit on the cold side because its 3" outlet and i have the factory transmission cooler apparatus there still. the 6at ade fmics dont have the full up pipe on the cold side, but just a couple inches of pipe exiting. I have a silicone elbow running up to my ER long version chargepipe.

My installer had me get a Phoenix racing charge pipe as i went from dv to tial I had a bms before and he ran 2.5 inch hard pipe from my ad e 650 to the charge pipe where did you get the elbow and it was long enough?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Also
I have the ade 1k fmic also. Im 6at and its a tight fit on the cold side because its 3" outlet and i have the factory transmission cooler apparatus there still. the 6at ade fmics dont have the full up pipe on the cold side, but just a couple inches of pipe exiting. I have a silicone elbow running up to my ER long version chargepipe.
I know this was while back but isn't the er long pipe 2.5 inch at end?

AD-ENG

Corporal
Oct 22, 2016
Just a heads up for guys wondering about intercooler connections...

The ADE MT intercoolers have a long 3" outlet that rises up behind the radiator shroud. This is done to give guys a true 3" pipe from IC to TB and minimize joints (only one coupler needed). It is designed to be ran with the ADE 3" chargepipe, but can be ran with other brands if you're willing to modify or get creative with couplers.

The ADE AT intercoolers (as the name implies) are intended for auto trans cars. The auto 135/335 has a coolant/ATF cooler attached to the radiator shroud. This cooler location is not compatible with the MT IC outlet. So the AT IC has a short, straight 3" outlet and supplied with a 3"-2.5" 90degree reducer coupler allowing you to reuse your OEM plastic uppipe (which clears the auto cooler). Because the AT IC is meant to use the stock uppipe location, the AT IC is also a good choice for guys that have aftermarket 1pc or 2pc Non-ADE chargepipes already. The AT is also a good choice for convertibles with the frame brace or cars equipped with the factory aux radiator on the left.

Because there are so many configurations when mixing brands, it is hard to make every combo PNP. If you are mixing components from different vendors you should expect to make some mild adjustments and leave yourself time to do so.

Hope that helps alittle.

Reactions: Davidwarren

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Just a heads up for guys wondering about intercooler connections...

The ADE MT intercoolers have a long 3" outlet that rises up behind the radiator shroud. This is done to give guys a true 3" pipe from IC to TB and minimize joints (only one coupler needed). It is designed to be ran with the ADE 3" chargepipe, but can be ran with other brands if you're willing to modify or get creative with couplers.

The ADE AT intercoolers (as the name implies) are intended for auto trans cars. The auto 135/335 has a coolant/ATF cooler attached to the radiator shroud. This cooler location is not compatible with the MT IC outlet. So the AT IC has a short, straight 3" outlet and supplied with a 3"-2.5" 90degree reducer coupler allowing you to reuse your OEM plastic uppipe (which clears the auto cooler). Because the AT IC is meant to use the stock uppipe location, the AT IC is also a good choice for guys that have aftermarket 1pc or 2pc Non-ADE chargepipes already. The AT is also a good choice for convertibles with the frame brace or cars equipped with the factory aux radiator on the left.

Because there are so many configurations when mixing brands, it is hard to make every combo PNP. If you are mixing components from different vendors you should expect to make some mild adjustments and leave yourself time to do so.

Hope that helps alittle.
Is their a recommended way to run 3 inch the whole way ? Also Would you ever consider making a silicone lower charge pipe for us at guys and or a kit to upgrade to the solid pipe once we delete the factory heat exchanger or would the nipple still be in the way of straight solid pipe?

AD-ENG

Corporal
Oct 22, 2016
Is their a recommended way to run 3 inch the whole way ? Also Would you ever consider making a silicone lower charge pipe for us at guys and or a kit to upgrade to the solid pipe once we delete the factory heat exchanger or would the nipple still be in the way of straight solid pipe?

I have no plans to make a 3" uppipe for AT car.

I do have customers that moved their AT cooler and ran a full 3" MT setup.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I am convertible, AT and use the MT FMIC. It fits, barely, I also have an upgraded trans cooler so the heat exchanger is gone.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I swapped to the manual radiator as well, so I don't really know how all that fits if you left all that stuff in there. But more or less I'm a manual conversion in the cooling department since that heat exchanger is gone.