N54 93 octane safe power levels

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Getting ready to retune my car on 93 octane, stock DI no meth. My knock sensors are desensitized on the hardware side so I can't really rely on them to pull time unless the knock is bad (built motor problems). Stock compression / stock head N54 with a built bottom end.

What's a realistic safe upper ceiling for hp? How much boost should I run to get there?

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283955

A while back VTT put down average ~560whp STD on 93 octane with 25 psi and 4.5* on GC twins, so I think 530whp SAE would be a good place to stop. I'll try 23 psi and 3* for the base map.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
A 6266 should have more headroom on pump 93 than a set of GCs I would think. Shame they don't list the Flow Rate in lb/min like most turbos.

Also, remember that very few have been able to touch that vendors #s with their products. YMMV

Last edited:

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Here you go: https://www.bummerboost.com/content...266-turbo-kit-makes-559-rear-wheel-horsepower

560 whp on pump 93.

Mod list:
JB4 + MHD - Tuned by EMP
Ethanol free 93 octane
Tuned on 20PSI (graph shows 21.5 but that was a boost spike)
DocRace 6266
AD-E 650HP intercooler
Fuel-it stage 2
550i clutch
MMP Port Injection with JB4 controller

I don't think you would need port injection on 93. I thought the injectors and HPFP could handle around this level with no PI. I could be wrong.

xShadows Dyno:
screen-7.jpg

I'll dyno in the spring but I am hoping for 600+ whp on my 6466 + 93 pump and charegpipe 100% meth. I don't need to chase any crazy numbers. If I ever want more I can go direct port and bump it up to 700whp. But that is a lot of meth for fueling at that point.

veer90 Is this going to be your daily driver tune and then run 100% E85 for events or something?

Blue Lightning

Private
Jan 23, 2021
Here you go: https://www.bummerboost.com/content...266-turbo-kit-makes-559-rear-wheel-horsepower

560 whp on pump 93.

Mod list:
JB4 + MHD - Tuned by EMP
Ethanol free 93 octane
Tuned on 20PSI (graph shows 21.5 but that was a boost spike)
DocRace 6266
AD-E 650HP intercooler
Fuel-it stage 2
550i clutch
MMP Port Injection with JB4 controller

I don't think you would need port injection on 93. I thought the injectors and HPFP could handle around this level with no PI. I could be wrong.

xShadows Dyno:
View attachment 25971

I'll dyno in the spring but I am hoping for 600+ whp on my 6466 + 93 pump and charegpipe 100% meth. I don't need to chase any crazy numbers. If I ever want more I can go direct port and bump it up to 700whp. But that is a lot of meth for fueling at that point.

veer90 Is this going to be your daily driver tune and then run 100% E85 for events or something?
Hello Torgus

I live in the UK, where our highest performance fuel is 93 Octane (99RON). Currently my car is at stage 2+ with 445 bhp at the crank.

My current set up includes:
Stock turbo's
Massive full race intercooler
3" catless Dp's.
2.5" silicone intakes with Foam Cone Filters
Twin Plate 9.5" drag clutch with fiber disks

I also have some new parts ready to fit including:
Dynamic Autowerks DA905RS Hybrid Turbo's
Walbro 525 Hellcat fuel pump
EOSpeed BPM4 Pump Controller
B58 Ignition Coils (on order)
New big bore fully de-catted exhaust.

I had been hoping to achieve 550 Bhp crank before the addition of a W/M kit in 2022 to take me up to 650bhp crank. But most of the tuners I have spoken too say those numbers are fantasy, and I am deluding myself even considering it. Your Dyno chart would seem to prove them all wrong. Am I missing something critical which makes a difference and can I ask how reliable this tune has been since you got it done over two years ago now.....

I'm planning to get my mapping done all on MHD by Wedge Performance.

Last edited:

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Hello Torgus

I live in the UK, where our highest performance fuel is 93 Octane (99RON). Currently my car is at stage 2+ with 445 bhp at the crank.

My current set up includes:
Stock turbo's
Massive full race intercooler
3" catless Dp's.
2.5" silicone intakes with Foam Cone Filters
Twin Plate 9.5" drag clutch with fiber disks

I also have some new parts ready to fit including:
Dynamic Autowerks DA925RS Hybrid Turbo's
Walbro 525 Hellcat fuel pump
EOSpeed BPM4 Pump Controller
B58 Ignition Coils (on order)
New big bore fully de-catted exhaust.

I had been hoping to achieve 550 Bhp crank before the addition of a W/M kit in 2022 to take me up to 650bhp crank. But most of the tuners I have spoken too say those numbers are fantasy, and I am deluding myself even considering it. Your Dyno chart would seem to prove them all wrong. Am I missing something critical which makes a difference and can I ask how reliable this tune has been since you got it done over two years ago now.....

I'm planning to get my mapping done all on MHD by Wedge Performance.
DA925RS is one of those china 19T turbos i believe...
550bhp on a dyno/single gear pull might be doable, but if you are doing multiple gear pulls on the road, your IAT will skyrocket without spraying anything

in other words, its not usable horsepower and not reliable, 450-480ish whp would be a more reasonable number but you will still run into IAT issues
on a 6MT car, doing a 3-4-5 gear pull and low 20ish C ambient air temps, my IAT will hit 50C+ in 4th gear, your intercooler will not save you cause high humidity generally sucks

if you are targetting low 11s for afr on 93 pump fuel, you are very close to running out of pump even with a walbro 525/535 if you go above 20-22psi
but you are knock limited anyways especially in higher rpms so a single pump is fine in this regard

Blue Lightning

Private
Jan 23, 2021
DA925RS is one of those china 19T turbos i believe...
550bhp on a dyno/single gear pull might be doable, but if you are doing multiple gear pulls on the road, your IAT will skyrocket without spraying anything

in other words, its not usable horsepower and not reliable, 450-480ish whp would be a more reasonable number but you will still run into IAT issues
on a 6MT car, doing a 3-4-5 gear pull and low 20ish C ambient air temps, my IAT will hit 50C+ in 4th gear, your intercooler will not save you cause high humidity generally sucks

if you are targetting low 11s for afr on 93 pump fuel, you are very close to running out of pump even with a walbro 525/535 if you go above 20-22psi
but you are knock limited anyways especially in higher rpms so a single pump is fine in this regard
My DA905RS turbo's are most certainly NOT China turbo's !. They are 100% built in Nevada USA. The center part with the bearings is an original Mitsubishi TDL04 modified to accept larger Race bearings and thrusts. The Turbine and Compressor wheels are 100% manufactured in the US. The Compressor Housing is also a modified Mitsubishi TDL04 housing, whilst the turbine housing is custom cast in the US..... No part of them comes from China !. I'm not sure where you got your info from, but you would do well to give Dynamic Autowerks a phone call before making such comments.... Here is their website Fuel Injectors Turbochargers - Dynamic Autowerx

P.S. A while ago after a similar conversation with DA, they sent me some photo's showing their large and well equipped machine shop. They guys working in it, were definitely American !. If I can find where on my PC I put them, I will repost.

Last edited:

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
My DA925RS turbo's are most certainly NOT China turbo's !. They are 100% US built. The center part with the bearings is an original Mitsubishi TDL04 modified to accept larger Race bearings and thrusts. The Turbine and Compressor wheels are 100% manufactured in the US. The Compressor Housing is also a modified Mitsubishi TDL04 housing, whilst the turbine housing is custom cast in the US..... No part of them comes from China !
not gonna argue, its what the internets says and its not my car
there is proof of this on another n54 forum with pictures
heres a screencap, you can find the thread on google

1611513338627.png

Blue Lightning

Private
Jan 23, 2021
not gonna argue, its what the internets says and its not my car
there is proof of this on another n54 forum with pictures
heres a screencap, you can find the thread on google

View attachment 48552
I have written to Dynamic Autowerks with a copy of the web address for the thread you have indicated. They are normally pretty good with their replies. However what I can say is that the casting number on my turbo's is different to the one shown in your example..... Also DA currently hold the World Record for the fastest 1/4 mile using a twin turbo set up, without nitrous.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
My DA905RS turbo's are most certainly NOT China turbo's !. They are 100% built in Nevada USA. The center part with the bearings is an original Mitsubishi TDL04 modified to accept larger Race bearings and thrusts. The Turbine and Compressor wheels are 100% manufactured in the US. The Compressor Housing is also a modified Mitsubishi TDL04 housing, whilst the turbine housing is custom cast in the US..... No part of them comes from China !. I'm not sure where you got your info from, but you would do well to give Dynamic Autowerks a phone call before making such comments.... Here is their website Fuel Injectors Turbochargers - Dynamic Autowerx

P.S. A while ago after a similar conversation with DA, they sent me some photo's showing their large and well equipped machine shop. They guys working in it, were definitely American !. If I can find where on my PC I put them, I will repost.

Should we tell him?

Blue Lightning

Private
Jan 23, 2021
Should we tell him?
I received a reply from DA, which unfortunately cannot be re-posted due to a confidentiality clause. However in my own words, what I will say is that they 100% stand by their claim of 100% US Manufacture. And from what I now know, it would seem the Chinese may have attempted to copy some of DA's products. But have done so with poor quality parts and materials, resulting in failures of some of the inferior copies. DA will 100% stand by their product warranty, and should any one have any problems it is recommended that the product is returned to DA.

I can't comment on anyone who has a pair of these Chinese copies, because I have not spoken to anyone with some. However I have spoken to a number of people who have the genuine DA ones. What I can say is that every one who installed them and did so in line with DA's instructions and used the recommended oil has nothing but total compliments about them. Unfortunately some people think they know best and ignored DA's instructions and did the installation their own way..... Those people may have found themselves unable to claim on the warranty.

My Car with all the stuff I've bought for it is worth over $20K...... I'm not about to take risks to save a few hundred bucks. I will fit mine in full compliance with DA's warranty. As such I have remained in contact with them to ensure each component used in the installation meets DA's requirements. You are more than welcome to note my user name and contact me in a couple of years, to find out how well they are doing.

Finally...... again in my own words. I rather got the feeling that if anyone wishes to Challenge DA's claim to manufacture their own turbo's in the USA. Perhaps such a person could do so to get their money back if they felt so inclined ??.... DA would be more than happy to meet such a person in a Court in Nevada where they are based. And if true, based upon the various comments in the link you posted, that should be easy money for anyone wishing to give it a try........ :).

Personally I'm very satisfied with my purchase. The quality is excellent, the customer service is equally excellent..... And I am satisfied with the fact that they ARE manufactured in the USA !.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
I received a reply from DA, which unfortunately cannot be re-posted due to a confidentiality clause. However in my own words, what I will say is that they 100% stand by their claim of 100% US Manufacture. And from what I now know, it would seem the Chinese may have attempted to copy some of DA's products. But have done so with poor quality parts and materials, resulting in failures of some of the inferior copies. DA will 100% stand by their product warranty, and should any one have any problems it is recommended that the product is returned to DA.

I can't comment on anyone who has a pair of these Chinese copies, because I have not spoken to anyone with some. However I have spoken to a number of people who have the genuine DA ones. What I can say is that every one who installed them and did so in line with DA's instructions and used the recommended oil has nothing but total compliments about them. Unfortunately some people think they know best and ignored DA's instructions and did the installation their own way..... Those people may have found themselves unable to claim on the warranty.

My Car with all the stuff I've bought for it is worth over $20K...... I'm not about to take risks to save a few hundred bucks. I will fit mine in full compliance with DA's warranty. As such I have remained in contact with them to ensure each component used in the installation meets DA's requirements. You are more than welcome to note my user name and contact me in a couple of years, to find out how well they are doing.

Finally...... again in my own words. I rather got the feeling that if anyone wishes to Challenge DA's claim to manufacture their own turbo's in the USA. Perhaps such a person could do so to get their money back if they felt so inclined ??.... DA would be more than happy to meet such a person in a Court in Nevada where they are based. And if true, based upon the various comments in the link you posted, that should be easy money for anyone wishing to give it a try........ :).

Personally I'm very satisfied with my purchase. The quality is excellent, the customer service is equally excellent..... And I am satisfied with the fact that they ARE manufactured in the USA !.
Find my thread in the dispute section and enlighten yourself. Shawn the owner threatened to sue me. He used to have his operation in Michigan out of his townhouse. You will never get a 3 year warranty out of him sorry to say

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
It is so funny to see Rob here. You will have loads of fun with his wisdom! Just as a precaution. You can write what you want! He has a special "filter" about "facts".

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Long time reader, first time poster.

I thought I'd go to the effort of making an account to warn members about Rob Gale / blue lightning, you will lose 10 years of your life from stress alone if you try to help this man, he has been kicked from all of owners groups that I use regularly.

List of some particularly famous RG events:

Convinced his DA905RS turbos are not Chinese.
Reckons you need closed deck to run hybrids because his local mechanical said so.
Bought a BPM4 ekp module to run mhd stage 2.
Fit a 12v bilge blower to his airbox duct to help with intake temps.
Headgasket leak putting 4 pints of water into his exhaust that magically fixed itself when he realised n54 headgaskets don't fail

Maybe someone here can save this man, I wasn't worthy

It sounds like he gets what he deserves then.

Hey @Blue Lightning make your own thread and stop fucking up @veer90 's thread with your posts man. Seriously make your own thread. We will all do out best to help and or enlighten you.

You want to know about DAW just research. I actually tried to meet him in person. Guess what, did not happen, he was sketchy as shit. Nevada? Please don't respond to this post. Make your own thread.

Blue Lightning

Private
Jan 23, 2021
It sounds like he gets what he deserves then.

Hey @Blue Lightning make your own thread and stop fucking up @veer90 's thread with your posts man. Seriously make your own thread. We will all do out best to help and or enlighten you.

You want to know about DAW just research. I actually tried to meet him in person. Guess what, did not happen, he was sketchy as shit. Nevada? Please don't respond to this post. Make your own thread.
I have no wish to make my own thread, because too much has already been said on this pointless subject. I posted a positive comment, not insulting or belittling anyone else's opinions or experiences. I cannot help it if a couple of people choose to try and start an argument because they disagree with my experiences, that's on them. Perhaps we can all just move on and keep on topic, which is I believe about Octane levels and safe boost pressures.

Blue Lightning

Private
Jan 23, 2021
I am keen to know what sorts of Crank BHP numbers other people have been getting on 93 Octane both with and without Water / Meth kits.

E90FAN

Lurker
Mar 13, 2021
92-e10 26psi.

wastegate stuck once or twice and hit 30 or so...

2007 335i msd80
107k.
speedtech s257.
single walbro on the side of the OEM bucket, hobbs trigger.

Pump gas is cool and all, but i have my regrets lol

Getting a barrel of Ignite, and another block :)

Attachments

• 7869005495473029295.jpg
    7869005495473029295.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 146
  • 8888985954617414961.jpg
    8888985954617414961.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 121