Technical 550i O2 sensor for single turbo

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
This sensor recommendation is unverified, proceed at your own risk.

Lately I've been hearing through the facebook grapevine of 550i O2 sensors being recommended for single turbo use.

Then someone else told me they are the same as ADV, but I'm not sold on that claim. Realoem indicates they are placed post-turbine in the stock configuration so BMW would have no reason to use something designed for pre-turbine like the ADV.

550i lambda.PNG

The BMW PN is 11787576673, and they are also listed as Bosch 17187.

Anyone have any info or better a technical PDF of the sensor itself? So I may compare the lambda response curves etc against the ADV.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
I looked into it and I can’t find any reference of it being ADV, but even if it was out of all the sensors I’ve tried in my car ADV caused the most problems by far.

It’s possible that Motiv/Chris was using these the whole time and keeping it a secret to keep the margins high.

This information has been out there for awhile now, I think it was discovered by the same guy who figured out you could use the Ford sensors for super cheap.

Either way we need sensors in the downpipe to work, I don’t there there is another solution. Pre turbo is just so stupid for so many reasons

Reactions: veer90

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Who knows...I have a brand new 550i sensor sitting here and it does look like it's the same length as the ADV ones I bought from Chris back in the day.

One thing I want to know is if it's better to use the ADV pressure compensation tables than the one Terry developed for the JB4. I think Jake mentioned once that box should be checked for single turbo guys regardless.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
Just checked, its 5 wires.

well there you go. there aren't really that many types of sensors around, for instance, the ntk direct replacment sensors are just lsu 4.9s. why people report better use out of ntk idk - maybe placebo, maybe there are more counterfeit bosch units on the market, maybe ntk have better QA/QC in their supply chain.

the main difference with all these different part numbers is specific harness length and some variances in connectors, that's it. dont need to stick with BMW part numbers. Unfortunately there are no magic part numbers that will make preturbo issues go away. if you are trying a connector nobody else has tried worth double checking the specific connector part against bosch technical units available with google search, or wire colour coding etc.

Last edited:

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Who knows...I have a brand new 550i sensor sitting here and it does look like it's the same length as the ADV ones I bought from Chris back in the day.

One thing I want to know is if it's better to use the ADV pressure compensation tables than the one Terry developed for the JB4. I think Jake mentioned once that box should be checked for single turbo guys regardless.

my old setup with JB4 o2 pressure sensor correction enabled AFRs were dead on when checked against the dyno wideband...

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I looked into it and I can’t find any reference of it being ADV, but even if it was out of all the sensors I’ve tried in my car ADV caused the most problems by far.

It’s possible that Motiv/Chris was using these the whole time and keeping it a secret to keep the margins high.

This information has been out there for awhile now, I think it was discovered by the same guy who figured out you could use the Ford sensors for super cheap.

Either way we need sensors in the downpipe to work, I don’t there there is another solution. Pre turbo is just so stupid for so many reasons
It’s not true. I know Chris well and saw all of the work he was doing to retrofit the sensors.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
It’s not true. I know Chris well and saw all of the work he was doing to retrofit the sensors.

I wonder what’s different about the ADV sensors that he was using compared to what BMW offers.

Is ADV considered the next generation of sensors from Bosch? So 4.2 to 4.9 to ADV?

And if so, are there different ADV sensors designed for pre and post turbo?

Would be cool for someone with a stand-alone wideband to test the 550i sensors and see if they are accurate with ADV o2 selected

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
the attached manual explains the changes from lsu 4.9 to adv lsu 4.9.

i imagine there will be a shift for oems to use adv's as time goes on.

Attachments

• ALM-LSU-ADV Manual.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
Reactions: MDORPHN

Scorpstan

Corporal
Feb 27, 2017
Ride
335i
This sensor recommendation is unverified, proceed at your own risk.

Lately I've been hearing through the facebook grapevine of 550i O2 sensors being recommended for single turbo use.

Then someone else told me they are the same as ADV, but I'm not sold on that claim. Realoem indicates they are placed post-turbine in the stock configuration so BMW would have no reason to use something designed for pre-turbine like the ADV.

The BMW PN is 11787576673, and they are also listed as Bosch 17187.

Anyone have any info or better a technical PDF of the sensor itself? So I may compare the lambda response curves etc against the ADV.

this sensors dont will work.
what you need are ADV pre Turbo sensors.
speedtech have one for a good price: