DIY 335IX built motor/trans single turbo build

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
I went with the precision gen 2 instead of the GTX since no need to water cool it. It's just a nice extra bit of decluterring/simplifying things. A few less hoses and connectors to fail.

Big brain. That's a great counterpoint to it. Saves a bit of cash.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I went with the precision gen 2 instead of the GTX since no need to water cool it. It's just a nice extra bit of decluterring/simplifying things. A few less hoses and connectors to fail.
Have you seen the comp triplex waterless and oil less turbos? I’m super curious about their durability and use cases for that exact reason.

Reactions: derekgates

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
Have you seen the comp triplex waterless and oil less turbos? I’m super curious about their durability and use cases for that exact reason.

No oil? Crazy, no haven't seen those. Gonna look now.

The 6466 g2s are pretty reliable. It should be good for about 900whp, but I'll be running it below that. This car is just a daily driver, not competing with it.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi

Looking at their website... Looks like they're using the compressor wheel for air cooling and they require a bit of service. Seems like rebuild at 50k miles. Super interesting. Seems like maintenance might be a little annoying unless top mounted, and not really a fan of that. I'm gonna ask around and see if anyone I know has experience with em. For a drag car that will never see anywhere near that kind of mileage, that seems like it might be a nice option. What's the pricing like for them? Their website is all call for pricing :/ Hate that.

MAINTENANCE

8 pumps of CT grease every 3,000 Miles

Rebuild Service at 50,000 Miles

Reactions: derekgates

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Looking at their website... Looks like they're using the compressor wheel for air cooling and they require a bit of service. Seems like rebuild at 50k miles. Super interesting. Seems like maintenance might be a little annoying unless top mounted, and not really a fan of that. I'm gonna ask around and see if anyone I know has experience with em. For a drag car that will never see anywhere near that kind of mileage, that seems like it might be a nice option. What's the pricing like for them? Their website is all call for pricing :/ Hate that.
I knew about the greasing, but wasn’t aware of the rebuilding. I’m curious on price and cost of rebuild as well. I would think bottom mount should be fine for them given they state the lack of oil makes them good for options where fitting a return line is troublesome.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
I knew about the greasing, but wasn’t aware of the rebuilding. I’m curious on price and cost of rebuild as well. I would think bottom mount should be fine for them given they state the lack of oil makes them good for options where fitting a return line is troublesome.

Yeah but return line isn't really tricky for a bottom mount... It would just be tough to reach to grease I think. Either have to remove the bottom tray every 3k miles or possibly reach a grease fitting down the side of the engine. It might not be too bad reaching in from the top.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Yeah but return line isn't really tricky for a bottom mount... It would just be tough to reach to grease I think. Either have to remove the bottom tray every 3k miles or possibly reach a grease fitting down the side of the engine. It might not be too bad reaching in from the top.
Return lines can be fickle. There’s not a lot of height difference between the turbo drain fitting and oil pan fitting on some of the kits.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
Finally got some time to work on the trans. Got the transfer case and valve body off. Will rebuild the valve body tomorrow and see how far I get with everything else on sunday.

Ngdy6o9.jpg

WXT9BHQ.jpg

bdTG5MN.jpg

ZfihJjs.jpg

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Very nice build you are doing. I'm tempted to get a spare motor and trans to build up. When or if I blow my current one up I can just swap out. :)

Wife says i need to rebuild my Trans am first though. She's annoyed I keep tinkering on 'her' car. Lol

Reactions: nyt

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
Made some progress today. I installed a zip kit in the valve body, replaced the solenoids, and got all the guts out of the trans. I had a couple of the pump bolts strip out so had to weld another bolt to em to get it out.

Hopefully tomorrow I can work on getting some bushes replaced and some clutch packs swapped out.

syjJ1ih.png

4b45o2Y.jpg

3OKtFep.png

2BLcdUK.jpg

5yxf06T.jpg

7w5i5Fd.jpg

tEZ9ZDR.jpg

8w55pfa.jpg

BzGXwSf.png

tRM5CPY.jpg

Oh, and some fun bits from Nizpro ;)

MesCYUE.png

bebc3Ry.png

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Made some progress today. I installed a zip kit in the valve body, replaced the solenoids, and got all the guts out of the trans. I had a couple of the pump bolts strip out so had to weld another bolt to em to get it out.

Hopefully tomorrow I can work on getting some bushes replaced and some clutch packs swapped out.

View attachment 46918

View attachment 46907

View attachment 46908

View attachment 46909

View attachment 46910

View attachment 46911

View attachment 46912

View attachment 46913

View attachment 46914

View attachment 46915

Oh, and some fun bits from Nizpro ;)

View attachment 46916

View attachment 46917

I only did the mechatronic rebuild on mine. Made a huge difference! Easy to do.

That full rebuild you're doing looks sweet. Looks fairly straightforward as well.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
of course, bushing tool gone missing, so another delay :(

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
How much is the trans upgrades running you? And how much HP do you expect it to hold?

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
How much is the trans upgrades running you? And how much HP do you expect it to hold?

The biggest expense was like 3-4k for the input and intermediate shafts from Nizpro. Then the clutches were like 1k.

It should hold plenty of power, not worried about it being an issue. The transfer case and the front diff, though... well, let's just say I'm not putting sticky tires on the car.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
The biggest expense was like 3-4k for the input and intermediate shafts from Nizpro. Then the clutches were like 1k.

It should hold plenty of power, not worried about it being an issue. The transfer case and the front diff, though... well, let's just say I'm not putting sticky tires on the car.

I have a fully built motor with ported head. Speedtech 6466 bottom mount. Full E85. 34psi on my 6MT 335xi E90. Everything held fine. But I didn't do any launches. But my car caught fire and now I am thinking about moving everything in a 2010 335 AT. But was wondering what the price of the AT built would be. Not sure if I want to spend more for the auto or just put the manual into it.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
I have a fully built motor with ported head. Speedtech 6466 bottom mount. Full E85. 34psi on my 6MT 335xi E90. Everything held fine. But I didn't do any launches. But my car caught fire and now I am thinking about moving everything in a 2010 335 AT. But was wondering what the price of the AT built would be. Not sure if I want to spend more for the auto or just put the manual into it.

How much power were you making? I'd imagine around 750-775ish unless you had cams at that boost level? Anyway, the input shaft is a known weak point around 800. I think @Kenjermen snapped one on the dnyo

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
The needle bearing slot on the back of the E basket is also too small, so that's awesome. The bearing was completely bound up. Waiting for Nizpro to get in to talk to them. It looks like I'm going to have to machine this.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
So I pulled and pressed all the bushings tonight, just need to get another couple input / output shaft bushes and figure out what I'm going to do with this PD input shaft. Next up is soft seals and clutches, but I'm waiting for the hard bits to be sorted before that.

I tried to go in order from front to back...

pump...

MGgKrSj.jpg

2Ljop2n.jpg

input shaft

JQH83YQ.jpg

Had to pull this one out since the shaft is out of spec.

fMjFK2R.jpg

PD clutch kit in Nizpro basket, 9 steels, 8 frictions, no top plate, no wavy plate.

ZslCK00.jpg

clearance test...

tLTWnGE.jpg

all good..

xGSX4MG.jpg

I wanted to make sure the top steel wouldn't be able to slip at all since this is normally a much thicker top plate. I couldn't get it to budge.

riiAIx2.jpg

a clutch basket

Tcpe16g.jpg

SlCWtiG.png

b clutch

VuZOaDx.jpg

JmQwVfW.jpg

xXwJn7S.jpg

8aceXR7.png

a clutch hub

DfpKLL0.png

LwwRkPE.jpg

Couldn't get a grip on it, had to bang it out.

vKd7C9H.jpg

4VMF1x6.png

PKPuPOU.jpg

zd6dFAe.jpg

rear assembly / output shaft support. Didn't have the bushing to push in thanks to the Nizpro fuckery.

BsZRcJw.png

pknSPrL.jpg

Last edited: