DIY 335IX built motor/trans single turbo build

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
Figured I might as well start a thread for this.

I was running pure600s on a stock bottom end. Too much torque, even ramping boost in slowly. I bent a rod. I'm putting it back together with a stronger motor and transmission.

I'll document the build here for all the work.

The motor has the following upgrades:
- heads ported by Headgames
- Schrick low lift cams
- ARP studs
- VAC closed deck
- JE 10.2 pistons
- H beam forged rods
- King bearings
- pinned crank
- cooper ring head gasket

The transmission upgrades consist of:
- Nizpro input / intermediate shaft
- PD clutches
- PD bushes
- Zip kit

I'll be using a Speedtech bottom mount kit with a Precision 6466g2. Should be able to make about 850 to the wheels with this setup. The car runs on straight e85. The main mods for support/power:
- 950cc port injectors
- 2x295 low pressure pumps
- PR coils
- JB4 and PI controller
- 4 port mac solenoid
- 4bar tmap
- VRSF 7.5 HD intercooler
- trans cooler
- secondaries replaced with vibrant resonators

Started taking it apart...

EZ58RJv.jpg

Bearing material in oil...

Bf0CLbr.png

New engine and turbo ready to go

RLpCUvY.jpg

Pulling this out without venting the AC was a bit of a challenge, but got it done.

IgTdO0y.jpg

I also dropped the subframe so I could go over it with a wire brush and a fresh coat of paint since it has a bit of rust.

vPfyrdv.jpg

The new engine is covered on the right.

F36Cd0k.jpg

qbRgJrf.jpg

HOMQiwb.jpg

OgVkulK.jpg

ViRuF6W.jpg

TxQbqjM.jpg

Next update will likely be with my transmission build pics as I get time.

Last edited:

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
What’s the picture after the head gasket? Is it a camshaft end? Looks like it has a crack at 12 o’clock, whatever it is.

Last edited:

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
What’s the picture after the head gasket? Is it a camshaft end? Looks like it has a crack at 12 o’vlock, whatever it is.

crank hub pin.. its just some gunk, not a crack

I pulled the trans off the old block and stirpped it down. hopefully I'll get some time during the week to work on the transmission. I had like a whole 100 miles on those pure 600s before I killed the bottom end of this engine. I'll see if I can get some carnage pics when I pull the oil pan later.

fQXnf1H.jpg

5eXgnSS.jpg

qr5eyz0.jpg

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
I think they make medicine for that now.

Lol.. now I just gotta track down what was slinging around in the block. Looks like a few hits to the windage tray and one to the pan in one place, enough to dent it slightly, though I didn't see anything when I was cleaning. I just need to make sure it's not hanging in that little area where the axle attaches.

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
I recommend these with a set of twisted tuning transfer case inserts and stiff motor mounts. There will be some NVH. You are going to need to keep everything from twisting if you stand any chance of not snapping front axles or front diff. Love this build!!

F1B2A126-2473-4993-8A5A-35C726489FCD.jpeg

Reactions: Jeffman

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Not a big fan of bottom mount but it's looking good. Can't wait to see some numbers.

Hyab00sta

Lurker
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
2009 335XI
What special tools did you absolutely need to assemble the motor (besides the cam lock, crank seal puller, and bed plate sealant injector.)?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Not a big fan of bottom mount but it's looking good. Can't wait to see some numbers.
What do you not like about the bottom mount kits? The engine package was designed around them and their generated heat being there and they fit better than the top mounts in every way...plus you don’t have to worry about bubbling your hood paint.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Good god this is awesome.

I am well on my way to spin bearings now that I started tracking my car... need to keep a build like this in my mind as 'what to go through'.

Loving the bottom mount! I want a Garrett GTX35R Speedtech setup but just can't afford it. I like vicariously through you! :D

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
Good god this is awesome.

I am well on my way to spin bearings now that I started tracking my car... need to keep a build like this in my mind as 'what to go through'.

Loving the bottom mount! I want a Garrett GTX35R Speedtech setup but just can't afford it. I like vicariously through you! :D

I went with the precision gen 2 instead of the GTX since no need to water cool it. It's just a nice extra bit of decluterring/simplifying things. A few less hoses and connectors to fail.

Last edited: