335i Rear end options ?

TheAllOriginal

Private
Dec 15, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Alright so we all know the rear ends of our cars are paired with the dumb open diff and weak components, and was wondering what was the best option to fix this. I've heard of really 3 different routes, Aftermarket LSD, M3 conversion, and the ADE 8.8 swap. I'd welcome any other options i'm missing.

So lets get into detail...

First off the simplest and most common option would be to get an aftermarket LSD for our stock diff. Seem like a good option since its a pretty simple install, only downside would be that if you have a welded diff (like me) the prices jumps up quite a bit. Also ignoring the fact that I still would have to buy stronger half-shafts, and driveshaft. This all adds up to be quite pricey unless I were to get a good deal on some used parts.

Second option would be to go with the M3 OEM components. The good thing about this option is that it's alot cheaper and you get more for your money. With about the same price of an aftermarket LSD for a welded 335i diff you could get An OEM M3 LSD, it's half-shafts and driveshaft (Which are both stronger then the stock ones on the 335i). Also heard that an M3 diff with an aftermarket LSD is a lot stronger then an LSD on the 335i. Only drawbacks I see with this set-up is sourcing all the parts (DCT M3 diff with a 3.15 final drive since it's the closest to my 3.08 6MT diff) since all of them work together, and that I need to have the drive shafts professionally modified and balanced which complicates things a bit and doesn't make it completely PnP.

Lastly we have the ADE 8.8 swap. Dunno much about this set-up but I know it's the most expensive upfront and it seems to need no extra modification (correct me if i'm wrong), and what you get with this set up would be upgraded axles (1000hp+ rated), strong custom driveshaft, and a proven strong Ford 8.8 rear end that has some customization and flexibility in it's options. Only cons really are the initial price and that this set-up seems to be mostly just drag orientated which I am not.

So I would like to hear opinions and experience people have had with these setups.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Only thing I've heard besides these three options is going with a solid axle but that isn't the direction you're headed.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Input shaft, not driveshaft.
According to @BMWJunkie
wyEppam.png

NH3KSF7.png

So I guess which part are we talking about here, sounds like they both can break.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is

I think some terminology problems exist. Even in that screenshot he says pinion shaft (input shaft to the diff) and driveshaft, calling out two different parts. Sort of how brits call a truck a lorry or a hood a bonnet. All the pics of the damage I've seen has been the pinion shaft/input shaft to the diff. The M3 input shaft is WAY beefier. For that matter so is the driveshaft though hahaha.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Driveshaft (mostly American), prop shaft (brit speak), input shaft (slang), torque tube (corvette lingo), pinion shaft (I think the real technical term)....

5 different terms talking about 2 different parts....not confusing at all. Though not as confusing as FBO, FBO+, FBO++....wth does any of that even mean? hahahaha

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Yup, that's the part I'm talking about as well. Just choose one of the terms from the above list and someone will understand.

Otherwise just quote the part number and confuse the shit out of everyone haha.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Just swap to the M3 diff. It fixes the problem and is relatively inexpensive. Unless you're going to have a completely new shaft made from a higher strength steel, or go to cryo treatment I don't see any way due to the constraints of the pumpkin itself.

OR - use the ADE 8.8 setup. That fixes this problem too.

• Agree
Reactions: camberadam

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Can you specify on which driveshaft ?

I saw it on facebook a while back, I'm gonna assume the 335i stock driveshaft. Rear section, iirc.

The guy's name is Greg Lachmann / Guh Reg / whatever, he has a Motiv 900 kit last I heard. I blocked him because he's a N5x|NYC groupie and that group is absolute cancer.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Multiple local NYC groups are cancer fwiw. Not just this platform.

I saw it on facebook a while back, I'm gonna assume the 335i stock driveshaft. Rear section, iirc.

The guy's name is Greg Lachmann / Guh Reg / whatever, he has a Motiv 900 kit last I heard. I blocked him because he's a N5x|NYC groupie and that group is absolute cancer.

• Agree
Reactions: veer90

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
The problem with the m3 route is you'll burned up the clutches in the diff if you are making over 600wtq which is most of us with upgraded turbos. So if you go that route you'll have to swap the diff out which outs you around the same cost as the 8.8 kit. Me personally I'm going 8.8 since it's Damn near bulletproof for everything I'm going to throw at it and it has a massive aftermarket support

Seaneezy

Corporal
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
e90 LCI 335i
Is there any reliable way of reinforcing the driveshaft? I have YCW axles and an aftermarket LSD, not really looking towards YCW's carbon driveshaft