Saw this on IG today lol.

• Funny
Reactions: 335i_lou

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
lol, i did this 2 years ago for testing. 30psi actually. there's no point in running them beyond 24-25psi. You can make boost all day until they grenade, but it doesn't always equate to usable power for the trade off of heat longevity decrease.

Lol, or maybe can invent a casting that goes over the hotside that watercools the turbo like we do with computers lol. Obviously not the best idea, but I had that random thought while reading this thread and looking at my pc's water cooler setup.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Lol, or maybe can invent a casting that goes over the hotside that watercools the turbo like we do with computers lol. Obviously not the best idea, but I had that random thought while reading this thread and looking at my pc's water cooler setup.

they're are already water cooled. at 27 psi the turbos spin WAY too fast, toast the seals and/or the wheels literally blow up

google turbo overspeed failure

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
they're are already water cooled. at 27 psi the turbos spin WAY too fast, toast the seals and/or the wheels literally blow up

google turbo overspeed failure

Yes I know there water and oil cooled, but not to the same level you'd get if you could water cool the entire outside of the exhaust region. The amount of surface area there would be a drastic increase to reduce temps, this wouldn't protect from overspinning the compressor wheels through.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is

When he says heat he means compressor heat. Turbos run on efficiency islands and most of us are pushing our turbos to less and less efficient parts of the compressor map. What @Twisted Tuning is saying is that about 24-25psi puts them in a part of that map that means the compressor is just blowing hot air and reducing overall power.

N5IFTY4

Mar 8, 2018
Ride
335I E90 LCI
The 27 psi achieved on this run was due to over boost. Setup was asking for 24 psi peak however, it hit 27 psi and contributed to this glory run. 22 psi yielded about 460 whp and 540 wtq. All in all it is a virtual dyno, we can assume plus or minus 10% at best. However, my 11.6 sec 1/4 mile run at 122 mph (1.83 sec 60') correlates nicely to the power output estimated by the virtual dyno. Again, I still have stock exhaust with secondary cats, chargepipe, inlets and intercooler. Intercooler and inlet upgrade should net another 1-2 mph trap speed.

Oh BTW, almost 0 timing pull in the last 50 pulls ive done with the last flash revision from PureEvil. Timing targets 14.5 mid range, 0.5 avg timing since I've ran this setup. Octane and complimenting hardware is key here fellas :)

Last edited: