Z4 35i to Z4 35is INA0S error 2FA4

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
No.
I think lets remove IKM0S out of the thread completely. As its not relevant for the Z4 we doing. otherwise im just going to confuse the topic.

I have attached 2 Files.
Z4 35i_original:
This is the file that has always been his Stock File. If you place the INA0S.xdf over this, it does not look right.
He can flash OTS tunes successfully, but, the tunes never exceed 14psi, and when they do, he gets over boost error as the target is only 14psi.

z4 35is_updated:
This is the stock file from an actual Z4 35is, we custom flashed this via MHD to the car, and the car runs fantastic.
we then Generated a new Back Up. and i checked that Vin is updated on the file to match his current VIN.
We loaded this bin file into his MHD folder, and proceeded to Flash Back to Stock (not Stage0 MHD)
The car started but with CEL 2FA4 Error "Incorrect Data record"
We then updated the 0x4BD9D/E bytes from 00 to 01 as per RSL.
We then saved the bin file in the MHD folder again, and flashed the Bin file again (Flash Back to Stock), and still got the 2FA4 error and CEL.

After all this, we ended up going back to point 1 of flashing the updated file as Custom Flash, and the car is fine again, and thats where the day ended yesterday and my mate went home.

Attachments

• Z4 35i_original.bin
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • z4 35is_updated.bin
    2 MB · Views: 38

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
No.
I think lets remove IKM0S out of the thread completely. As its not relevant for the Z4 we doing. otherwise im just going to confuse the topic.

I have attached 2 Files.
Z4 35i_original:
This is the file that has always been his Stock File. If you place the INA0S.xdf over this, it does not look right.
He can flash OTS tunes successfully, but, the tunes never exceed 14psi, and when they do, he gets over boost error as the target is only 14psi.

z4 35is_updated:
This is the stock file from an actual Z4 35is, we custom flashed this via MHD to the car, and the car runs fantastic.
we then Generated a new Back Up. and i checked that Vin is updated on the file to match his current VIN.
We loaded this bin file into his MHD folder, and proceeded to Flash Back to Stock (not Stage0 MHD)
The car started but with CEL 2FA4 Error "Incorrect Data record"
We then updated the 0x4BD9D/E bytes from 00 to 01 as per RSL.
We then saved the bin file in the MHD folder again, and flashed the Bin file again (Flash Back to Stock), and still got the 2FA4 error and CEL.

After all this, we ended up going back to point 1 of flashing the updated file as Custom Flash, and the car is fine again, and thats where the day ended yesterday and my mate went home.
First things first...
Let’s call the original file old and the new one new ? :)

The INAOS XDF not looking right and not targeting more than 14PSI. Are you sure the original BIN file is INAOS? Are you sure that the XDF is for INAOS? Have you tried another INAOS file or another INAOS XDF?
Other than what I’m suggesting(theres some kind of file mix up) I dont know how to help with this as XDFs arent normally what i play with. I just read and followed other peoples instructions and shared ones that worked for me. Hopefully someone else can take a look at that.

Second. Once you’ve flashed a new ROM file you forego any support on the flash back to stock. MHD doesnt support EXACTLY what youre doing here and because we dont know exactly how MHD does what it does it will be difficult to rectify. That’s ok though - If you do want to go back to the new bin or old bin, Its ok, just flash custom and you’re done :)

Thirdly once you’ve flashed that custom file (the new bin) you can then flash OTS files and I can confirm (for me at least) that MHD builds a new OTS file based on the new ROM version. Again though MHD says that this is not supported and your mileage may vary.

Fourth If you want a custom tuned NEW rom version Take the updated new BIN file, alter your boost targets and then flash custom again. If you want to go back to standard new bin, flash the updated BIN file but use the flash custom MHD function

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
First things first...
Let’s call the original file old and the new one new ? :)

The INAOS XDF not looking right and not targeting more than 14PSI. Are you sure the original BIN file is INAOS? Are you sure that the XDF is for INAOS? Have you tried another INAOS file or another INAOS XDF?
Other than what I’m suggesting(theres some kind of file mix up) I dont know how to help with this as XDFs arent normally what i play with. I just read and followed other peoples instructions and shared ones that worked for me. Hopefully someone else can take a look at that.
We are not 100% sure what the original file was, the Hex Editor shows IGDOS, and the INA0S.xdf ROM identifier shows its IKC0S. so i have no idea which to work with, but its definately not INA0S. And none of the xdf's available online match the old bin.
So i have a feeling the OTS maps also dont know what to apply against. So could then probably Custom flash his old file and it will probably reference IKC0S in MHD? suppose worth a try.
View attachment 41021

Second. Once you’ve flashed a new ROM file you forego any support on the flash back to stock. MHD doesnt support EXACTLY what youre doing here and because we dont know exactly how MHD does what it does it will be difficult to rectify. That’s ok though - If you do want to go back to the new bin or old bin, Its ok, just flash custom and you’re done :)
This is perfect, completely understand this, and also the consequences :)

Thirdly once you’ve flashed that custom file (the new bin) you can then flash OTS files and I can confirm (for me at least) that MHD builds a new OTS file based on the new ROM version. Again though MHD says that this is not supported and your mileage may vary.
this didnt work the last time, however, i can honestly say we still had the old file in the MHD Flasher folder on the device. Can you confirm when you had the IKM0S OTS files working, was your MHD Flasher folder clear of any stock files?
Because our OTS maps were like the old file (Confirmed when we saw the Current Software ZB # changed back to the old one.

Fourth If you want a custom tuned NEW rom version Take the updated new BIN file, alter your boost targets and then flash custom again. If you want to go back to standard new bin, flash the updated BIN file but use the flash custom MHD function
I have no idea how to tune at this point and still want to learn how to create and play with boost targets etc.
However the Custom flash option to back to standard im well familiar with right now lol.

Attachments

• 1595243437217.png
    1595243437217.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 49

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I can confirm that once on IKMOS I am able to flash OTS IKMOS files
I reverted to stock IJEOS and did again tonight just to make sure

Attachments

• 0B18C9E4-1F3A-402C-B280-A5E1E997F965.png
    0B18C9E4-1F3A-402C-B280-A5E1E997F965.png
    353.7 KB · Views: 55

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
I can confirm that once on IKMOS I am able to flash OTS IKMOS files
I reverted to stock and did again tonight just to make sure
Thanks i got that, was just wondering if you had a bin file in the MHD FLasher directory on your device at the time, however i think you will have since you had to Generate back up and custom write the new updated bin it created after you update the DTML byte. then flash custom again, and flash OTS tune.

Cool, will give that a bash with my mate.
I think its just 2min writes once the Custom File is flashed on. read the new file, then custom flash again should be 2min and again 2min for each OTS map thereafter. so wont have to wait ages see if it works at least

Will let you know results, thank you once again for your patience.

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Yep the updated bin file on mine is IKMOS

for your mate ...I’d flash back to the old file, Then flash MHD OTS, then back to zero.
This will give you the latest ZB for that car. Save that file. Then try flashing new ROMs and fucking around.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Just "flash a custom map" an IKM0S bin. MHD takes care of the 2FA4 automatically now, not sure why you are going through all these crazy steps.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Just "flash a custom map" an IKM0S bin. MHD takes care of the 2FA4 automatically now, not sure why you are going through all these crazy steps.
Hi JYamona.
we trying to setup a Z4 35is INA0S stock file onto a Z4 35i.
yet we still get the 2FA4 even though you say MHD takes care of it? Every time the error is cleared in MHD the CEL comes back

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Interesting. Yours I believe is the only case of it not working like it should. You sure it's an MSD81 DME?

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
If it helps,
When he is on his original old bin, his Current Software ZB# is 8652514

When we custom flash the 35is software, his Current Software ZB# changes to 8652504

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Been doing some more reading.
that 2FA4 error references the Power Class right.
I no longer have datens on my laptop or even WinKFP, but I do remember the latest 35is software was ZB#8652524.
tried to download Datens again but seems they no longer available in some of the Mega links I have.
I used to use FindECU to trace the latest numbers.
I don’t know yet how to do it another way.

what I’m trying to get to. If I managed to get WinKFP again and flashed the DME with the latest 35is ZB# would it make a difference. Or does MHD also take care of the ZB# (I’m sure it does as I do see the number change in MHD when doing a code readout. So perhaps answering my own question.

My friend will be attempting the flash again sometime soon and let me know feedback. Hoping for positive news

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
As I mentioned before, different ZB doesn't mean not 35is. Don't confuse yourself with what you remember as the latest. Unless it's a China market Z4 35is, the number you remember isn't correct.

8652514 is LM71 - Euro LHD Z4 35i DCT.

8652504 is LM11 - Euro LHD Z4 35is
-802 - not Korea version
-8AA - not China version

8652524 is LM11 - Euro LHD Z4 35is
-802 - not Korea version
+8AA - is China version

Aside from the ZB numbers, I think there's some confusion going on with whatever flash/reflash thing you guys do for Euro DTML hack or something. Is that needed to run or just triggers a code? If it just a code, skip that for now.

Not sure how you have an IKC0S ID on what you think is an INA0S bin unless there was an incorrect partial write at some point that was saved as a full INA0S stock bin, but isn't.

IKC0S wasn't original to that car either. It's a 335is rom. If it was used in Euro cars at all, it would've been a 35is, not a 35i. 98% chance IGD0S is the actual original correct family for the car. I would ignore whatever you have there as the original stock bin because it's clearly messed up and not correct anyway. Find the correct factory ZB, flash with WinKFP, read out and save that as the true original.

This shouldn't be difficult though, start where it's at now. If the custom flashed 35is ZB (8652504) is already in and working properly, flash Stage 0 and don't do anything else. Check ZB and post so we can see if/what it's changing to. Then check if any errors are present and if it runs/drives normally.

From what aus335iguy said, sounds like it "should" load the correct OTS maps for 35is once that ZB is in though.

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
As I mentioned before, different ZB doesn't mean not 35is. Don't confuse yourself with what you remember as the latest. Unless it's a China market Z4 35is, the number you remember isn't correct.

8652514 is LM71 - Euro LHD Z4 35i DCT.

8652504 is LM11 - Euro LHD Z4 35is
-802 - not Korea version
-8AA - not China version

8652524 is LM11 - Euro LHD Z4 35is
-802 - not Korea version
+8AA - is China version

Aside from the ZB numbers, I think there's some confusion going on with whatever flash/reflash thing you guys do for Euro DTML hack or something. Is that needed to run or just triggers a code? If it just a code, skip that for now.

Not sure how you have an IKC0S ID on what you think is an INA0S bin unless there was an incorrect partial write at some point that was saved as a full INA0S stock bin, but isn't.

IKC0S wasn't original to that car either. It's a 335is rom. If it was used in Euro cars at all, it would've been a 35is, not a 35i. 98% chance IGD0S is the actual original correct family for the car. I would ignore whatever you have there as the original stock bin because it's clearly messed up and not correct anyway. Find the correct factory ZB, flash with WinKFP, read out and save that as the true original.

This shouldn't be difficult though, start where it's at now. If the custom flashed 35is ZB (8652504) is already in and working properly, flash Stage 0 and don't do anything else. Check ZB and post so we can see if/what it's changing to. Then check if any errors are present and if it runs/drives normally.

From what aus335iguy said, sounds like it "should" load the correct OTS maps for 35is once that ZB is in though.
Good morning RSL.

Thank you, that was a very informative post. appreciate that. i need to learn to underrstand how to read the ZB numbers of the daten files one day, but thats another topic.

OK, so the information between @RSL and @aus335iguy, i gave my friend this thread to read as i wasnt with him, and he did these steps last night:
1. Already had the new 35is bin file custom flashed from Sunday
2. Generated new Back up (starting from scratch here so not to have any hiccups.
3. Custom Flashed the new read file again (2min flash) - ( this step we didnt do last time, as we flashed back to Stock [Non-MHD])
Current ZB# stayed the same for 35is (8652504), this is correct and car started with no issues or errors:
1595309585397.png

4. Flashed Stock Stage0 (MHD) - 2min write
Current ZB# remained the same for 35is (8652504) so this is correct and car started with no issues or errors.
1595309707142.png

There are 0 errors, @jyamona the 2FA4 error is no longer present, so i do sincerely apologise, it is I who was at fault and wasnt following the procedure correctly from @aus335iguy correctly the first time (misread)

Due to COVID-19 curfew currently in South Africa, we cant be on the road after 9pm, o my friend will drive the Stage0 file today sometime and make sure all still feels good, then proceed to write the next stages of the OTS maps.

Needless to say we are both very excited to have gotten this far successfully.

Would like to thank @aus335iguy and @RSL both for your excellent pointers and patience with me about this, i know ive been hounding each of you over the last year about this information.

Will update again once more testing and the other flashes have taken place.

Reactions: RSL and aus335iguy

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
OK, so results in.
All though the OTS maps still write successfuly (did the same before with the old original bin). He tested Stage2+, and the car still targets a max boost of 15.9psi on this OTS tune,
Surely this should be a target of 18psi?

He is going to test and apply IJE0S on the car and test the same process.

Current mods are:
FBO
Hybrid Turbos (Mamba TD03-14T)
inlets
Stage2 LPFP.
Pump fuel

Here is the log:

WIll report back once IJE0S is tested.

In the mean time, is there any Hardware that can be looked at that could reduce boost target if faulty/worn?