Z4 35i to Z4 35is INA0S error 2FA4

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Hi all.

Please can i have some help from those inclined. @RSL @jyamona

My friend has a 2009 Z4 35i, we have been trying to load the bin from a Z4 35is, when we load it via "Flash Custom File", the write is 35min and it loads, and there are 0 errors. car drives beautifully and makes the 12psi boost that is expected.

there are 2 issues after this, :
1. If we flash MHD Stage 2+ (or any OTS map), then it reverts back to the old Z4 35i bin to carry from. and MHD OTS Stag2+ targets only 14psi and tapers to 9psi immediately.
2. We generated a new back up from the 35is flash (from Custom Flash), i checked in TunerPro that the file was still identical, but the VIN number had been updated in the bin.
when we then flash to stock, it uses the new stock file created, and flashes correctly, however as soon as you start the car, the CEL light comes on, and the error 2FA4 "Incorrect Data Record" is present. now i was under the impression that MHD overrides this and bypasses it?
I remember a chat with @RSL that was to update the 2 bytes 0x4DB9D & 0x4BD9E from 00 to 01 repsectively. so i did that with the stock file that we generated from the 35is bin, and the result is the same, still get the 2FA4 error.
1595173308625.png

We cannot understand why the car continues to do this, as essentially the flash should be straight forward, and i have followed, to the letter, every instruction given from anyone ive spoken to.

Also, i cant understand why custom flashing the 35is bin produces no errors, but when we create the stock bin generated from a new back up, then we have the error, and we cannot get rid of it.

Please can someone assist with this, we would really like to update the software to the Z4 35is.
(When loading the custom flash with the 35is software, we see the Current ZB# in MHD change to the Z4 35is number 8652504 so we know it wrote correctly.)

As above the issues arise when we flash back to stock with the new file generated from the stock 35is INA0S bin.
(Is there a difference between the VIN_original.bin file, and the VIN_updated.bin files? and will there be harm in just renaming the Updated file to Original?)

Thanks in advance.
G

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
MHD allows flashing pretty much any ZB you want manually at this point I think, but if you change rom from one model to another, flash back to stock options no longer works as intended AFAIK.

Sounds like the flash operation used is what's causing the issue. I switch back and forth between IKM0S (1M) and INA0S (335is) on my 335is using custom flash to write the stock bins initially without issue. The difference is, I'm flashing stock roms I have in hand as custom, not having MHD do whatever checks/lookups it does for flash to stock operation. Once the INA0S that actually belongs on my car is on, I'm pretty sure the flash back to stock options work correctly again because it's correct for the car.

So, try custom flashing the stock 35is bin instead of using the flash back to stock option with the it in the folder as VIN_original and see if it clears up.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Hi RSL.
thank you so much for responding.
So the car is originally an INA0S rom according to the HW: that MHD states. However. Using his VIN_original.bin file and importing the INA0S xdf to read defined tables, it’s not 100% perfect.
the bin states IKC0S, and if I look in the hex editor it states IGD0S. So I have no idea which is the correct rom that came with the car. But the car did have a Single Turbo on it and it was removed before he purchased.
But the car does not like an OTS map in the car even. As Stg2+ only boosts 14psi.
So hence ya trying this route. And it just doesn’t seem to be working.
and we can’t understand why.
we even tried turning ignition off just as the Stock flash started. But that didn’t seem to help. As it just flashed back to hisnormal stock file.

custom flashing the 35is file works a treat and has zero issues. It’s what he has on now as it was getting late so we put it back on and the car and he is happy again. But we want a 35is file as “stock” so the MHD OTS maps uses it as a base to write a proper working Stage2+ file in the car.
mid that makes sense.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Am I perhaps missing the whole aspect here and not paying attention?
Reading your post again, it sounds like that MHD doesn’t actually provide the ability to create a “new” stock file when generate new back up option is used on a custom flashed bin from another stock bin to use as the new stock file? Because ultimately that what our goal is. If this is the case then we actually chasing our tails here?

im going to be trying the IKM0S flash update to my 335i like @aus335iguy did on his. The way I understood it was when he stated that you generate a new back up from the Custom Flash of the IKM0S bin, then update the DTML byte,
Once you flash that “new” stock file that was generated. You essentially writing your new stock file with is IKM0S and can (in his case) write the MHD OTS maps as IKM0S going forward.
is this correct. Or have I completely missed the mark on this function?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
@aus335iguy would have to chime in on exactly what/how's he flashing (stock options or custom), but yes, I suspect the issue is, stock flash options no longer work properly when you have a rom currently flashed that was never in the OE chain for the car.

If INA0S is stock for the car and you want to flash stock IKM0S, custom flash a stock IKM0S bin. If you want to go back to INA0S from there, custom flash a stock INA0S bin, don't use flash back to stock option.

Perhaps I'm missing where the failure is occurring, but sounded like you wrote 35is, backed it up and then tried to flash it again using back to stock option.

1) I'd expect that to fail because the current ZB (35is) isn't in the OE chain for the car (not 35is), and flash back to stock has checks.

2) if it was already flashed and confirmed by readout/compare/identified in HW/ZB in MHD, it's done. It sounded like you basically just tried to reflash exactly what you pulled out using a different flash option that checks validity (flash to stock) and was failing that way.

If you want to go back to what was originally supposed to be on the car and don't know what that was, you'll need to do some digging, build the ZB and custom flash with MHD or flash that correct ZB with winKFP.

As for OTS maps, no idea since I've never used one, but 2 options seem feasible there.

1) It's loading the tune map based on something other than the currently flash rom (i.e. that is factory correct for the car based on vehicle code, VIN, etc)

Or

2) there is no separate OTS tune map specific for 35is and they use one base for all. Different ZB doesn't mean it isn't 35is though, just may not match the one you had flashed. You'd have to check the chain.

Obviously tuned and stock maps aren't going to operate the same, so it's hard to tell just by looking at boost differences. You'd have to do some research, but sounds to me like rom change took fine and you're questioning what OTS map is loading. Jake or someone from MHD would probably need to answer what OTS maps get flashed, based on what criteria and if there are car any model specific variants.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Perhaps I'm missing where the failure is occurring, but sounded like you wrote 35is, backed it up and then tried to flash it again using back to stock option.

1) I'd expect that to fail because the current ZB (35is) isn't in the OE chain for the car (not 35is), and flash back to stock has checks.

you prettyOn the money here.
Could the Latest 35is ZB# Through WinKFP possibly help here. Or does MHD cater for this by updating the relevant ZB#?
I know I ask a lot on this topic. But I’m still learning my through it. And just when I think I’ve understood then I get a curveball and it frustrates me.
if a custom flash is the only way to go and using the 35is stock file as the base is the way to go then so be it. It will suck. But then whatever. But I’m sure there must be a way to utilize the 35is flash as the stock file?

would renaming the “vin”_updated.bin file to “vin”_original.bin have any impact on anything at all? Is there a difference?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I think ....When flash back to stock is used it looks up the tree and picks the correct file for IKMOS if you’ve renamed it original BIN
flash back to zero will build an INAOS bin
Either way if you want to stay IKMOS just flash custom. If you want OTS maps all bets are off as I don’t know where it gets its files from

Reactions: RSL

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Correct, the stock programming lists are set by BMW for all cars and cannot be changed. It doesn't matter how you flash, BMW would have to specify the ZB as being for the car in order for it to be seen as a "stock" correct bin for it.

You can, obviously, manually custom flash stock roms from different cars now and be on your way, but anything that refers to BMW data for lookups/checks will never find a 35is ZB listed as a factory program/calibration for a regular Z4.

If your only concern about it being seen as the "stock" rom for the car is for the purpose of OTS maps, I can't help on how maps are determined or how many variants there may be. If OTS map flashes do a lookup to verify for the car, you might be out of luck.

If you have the ZB number you get after the OTS flash, you can look it up and see what car it came from and know if it's a 35is or a regular Z4.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
I think ....When flash back to stock is used it looks up the tree and picks the correct file for IKMOS if you’ve renamed it original BIN
flash back to zero will build an INAOS bin
Either way if you want to stay IKMOS just flash custom. If you want OTS maps all bets are off as I don’t know where it gets its files from
Thanks mate, i only referenced you, as i know in the other thread about IKM0S you stated that when you flash IKM0S with the steps you provided, you could flash the OTS maps fine with no issues? can you confirm?
Also, that DTML that is disabled via the bit you provided me, what would happen if its not disabled, the car would be in limp mode/Or have the CEL correct?
I am wondering if that is not perhaps similar to what is happening on the 35is flash to stock we doing. (However granted we dont get the CEL when its flashed as custom, where as on IKM0S you state that on Custom flash you got the CEL and thats why the DTML needed deactivating.)

Correct, the stock programming lists are set by BMW for all cars and cannot be changed. It doesn't matter how you flash, BMW would have to specify the ZB as being for the car in order for it to be seen as a "stock" correct bin for it.

You can, obviously, manually custom flash stock roms from different cars now and be on your way, but anything that refers to BMW data for lookups/checks will never find a 35is ZB listed as a factory program/calibration for a regular Z4.

If your only concern about it being seen as the "stock" rom for the car is for the purpose of OTS maps, I can't help on how maps are determined or how many variants there may be. If OTS map flashes do a lookup to verify for the car, you might be out of luck.

If you have the ZB number you get after the OTS flash, you can look it up and see what car it came from and know if it's a 35is or a regular Z4.

Yes this is correct, as i said, our goal here is to have a fresh Stock file, as we believe that his current stock file (which i can provide so someone can have a look), is supposed to be INA0S according to MHD, but the INA0S xdf doesnt match all the tables. nor does IJE0S or IKM0S. and i have believed for sometime that this is causing the issue for him not having a correctly operating Stg2+ OTS map only boosting to 14psi target.

I am hoping JYamona may read this and offer some insight, we have spoken to Ken, which his only response was that he can help write a custom flash but obviously be charged, however we dont want that yet, we just want the OTS flashes operational as everyone else uses them.

EDIT: So i was reading the conversation between @aus335iguy and I again with the steps he gave me, and i think i missed a step (INA0S may be different, but worth a try anyway i guess).
He said that once the DTML Config is updated, then you need to flash the bin again as a CUSTOM FLASH, then read the bin AGAIN as Generate new Backup.

Now i didnt do this.
what we did was:
1. Flash stock 35is bin as Custom Flash
2. Generate New back up
3. Changed the 0x4BD9D/E bits
4. load to MHD FLasher folder
5. Flashed Back to stock

What i missed was this:
1. Flash stock 35is bin as Custom Flash
2. Generate New back up
3. Changed the 0x4BD9D/E bits
4. load to MHD FLasher folder
5. Flash as Custom Flash again
6. Generate new Back Up again
7. Flash back to stock.

Now im not saying it will work, but if my thoughts are correct, perhaps the file needs to be read correctly with the new bits, and as just changing them then flashing to stock may not do the trick.

Maybe im going crazy, but will give it a try, however this will only happen in a week or so when my mate comes over so we can have the time on his car again.

Last edited:

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Let me go back and do some testing as I think theres some misunderstanding from the terms used in MHD
I think you right, here is screenshots of the steps we used in MHD:

Step one Custom Flash the 35is bin:
1595227926410.png

Step 2:
Generate Updated Backup

Step 3:
Flash Back to Stock
1595227958933.png

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Yep, flash zero mhd will build an updated ZB for your VIN.
Thank you.
So the correct path is to use the Flash Stage 0 (and not the actual Flash Back to Stock method we used) which will then flash the Updated new generated stock file as "Stock"but as an MHD Stock file.
from there the OTS Maps "should" then be available also?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
No, the flash back to 0 builds a new ZB for your VIN i believe.
Try this
  1. Read your INAOS file.
  2. Rename INAOS file as something other than Updated BIN
  3. Flash IKMOS or other BIN file.
  4. If you want a custom tune (locked to your vin) read it back as a back up and send that to your tuner.
  5. If you want to flash that file thats been locked to your vin by your tuner flash it as a custom
  6. If you want to flash back to stock IKMOS then use custom flash Updated bin file
  7. If you want to flash OTS flash your updated BIN As a custom then flash OTS over the top

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
No, the flash back to 0 builds a new ZB for your VIN i believe.
Try this
  1. Read your INAOS file.
  2. Rename INAOS file as something other than Updated BIN
  3. Flash IKMOS or other BIN file.
  4. If you want a custom tune (locked to your vin) read it back as a back up and send that to your tuner.
  5. If you want to flash that file thats been locked to your vin by your tuner flash it as a custom
  6. If you want to flash back to stock IKMOS then use custom flash Updated bin file
  7. If you want to flash OTS flash your updated BIN As a custom then flash OTS over the top
Thanks for the response.

We dont have a tuner involved at this point. so we can leave that aspect out. And we focusing on the INA0S point here also, I was jsut referencing the IKM0S as a guide as per your steps to me on the subject, to see if flashing the 35is INA0S bin would be the same.

So then in my post above with the screenshots was the steps correct that i did?

We tried the OTS Maps over the custom flash, (before creating the new Backup admittedly), and the OTS map just flashed based on the original stock file in the MHD folder and not based on the Custom Flash we did (we saw this because the "Current Software: ZB#" changed).

So i was thinking to try:
1. Flash Custom
2. Flash Stage 0 ( we already have a updated VIN_updated.bin file to use as the Stage 0 flash)
3. Flash OTS map.

So not sure if im going round in circles :D

I know for sure that currently Flash back to Stock (non mhd), gives us the CEL light when we start the car. but Custom Flashing the file doesnt give the CEL and drives well,

Suppose have more flashing testing ahead of us this weekend to check it out.
Appreciate your responses and help as always

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Sounds like Flash back to Stock is building a stock file without the power class or whatever code updated.
Dunno what to tell you. I did it again tonight and once on IKMOS my MHD flashes IKMOS OTS tunes.

Reactions: RSL

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Sounds like Flash back to Stock is building a stock file without the power class or whatever code updated.
Dunno what to tell you. I did it again tonight and once on IKMOS my MHD flashes IKMOS OTS tunes.
Haha really? straight after flashing the IKM0S bin as custom tune?. interesting,
Question though, is your Stock file or any file in your MHD folder? if so, which file is in there?

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
ok.
So my mates Z4 35i does not run correctly on OTS tunes, only ever targets 14psi no matter what stage is flashed.

So we decided to try load the Z4 35is tune on the car.
This works, as a Custom Flash. perfectly.
So essentially the goal is to have the car run 35is software,a nd be able to use the OTS maps on that as a base. Like you did for IKM0S, but in this case its INA0S.

The car already has INA0S according to MHD, however, the INA0S xdf does not work for it, but it does work on the 35is bin.

So essentially, we wanting to update the car to use the 35is software as stock. and work off that.
Does that answer your question?
Would be great to actually have a telephonic that about it, may help, i will happily send any Bin files/XDF files etc that you need to have a look even.