XI Front Axle

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
Has anyone had to replace a front axle?

I had to replace the passenger side. I bought one from ECS tuning and it was a brand called FEQ. It is either jacked up or weighs differently or something because I am getting vibrations on the front passenger side now. I was looking at just getting a used OEM one off eBay and calling it a day but then I came across these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CV-Axle-Sh...=item238e3861c2:g:mqkAAOSwvWtbmiOk:rk:16:pf:0

The issue is I don't want it to be a different brand and I am stuck in the same boat. But being reman I figured the boots would be repacked of grease and everything would check out.

Just checking to see if anyone had any success with this or something similar?

Boorda

Corporal
Jul 15, 2018
Royse City, TX
futemire.com
Ride
328xi, 335xi M Sport
What kind of power are you putting down?
I'm around 425hp, dropped 1 1/2 inches, and running the axles you mentioned above with no issues.
They've been installed around 5 months now and I'm a pretty aggressive driver.

Maybe the splines we not all the way in?
Any noticeable leakage from the front diff?

Other than that maybe you got a dud?

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
What kind of power are you putting down?
I'm around 425hp, dropped 1 1/2 inches, and running the axles you mentioned above with no issues.
They've been installed around 5 months now and I'm a pretty aggressive driver.

Maybe the splines we not all the way in?
Any noticeable leakage from the front diff?

Other than that maybe you got a dud?

I will be pushing around 750 but I won't be launching. When you bought them, did they come looking identical to OEM? Or was the cv housing different?

The FEQ brand that I bought from ECS Tuning looked like this

51V65Vu-61L._SX425_[1].jpg

But the spline is all the way in and im not leaking anything. I am just hoping I got a bad one or something.

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
on the e46 XI's

basically anything aside fromOEM and GKN would cause this?

just food for thought :)

Boorda

Corporal
Jul 15, 2018
Royse City, TX
futemire.com
Ride
328xi, 335xi M Sport
Man that was 5 months ago, I think I remember them looking slightly different than OEM.
You must have gotten a bad one. If you haven't had it long I'd explain the issue with ECS and see if they can send out a replacement.

Also, have you ruled out a warped rotor, or did this start immediately after installing the axle?

BTW, how did you break your axle, was it the power?
I saw another thread floating around on here about upgraded axles, you might search for it.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
I was swapping turbos and I let the subframe hang while doing it. When I put it back up one of the little ball bearing/bearing things on the cv joint i guess popped off so it was making a really weird noise. I drove it maybe a block. Lifted it up and started messing with stuff and noticed the axle had some play. It only started once I changed the axle.

But I went ahead and ordered one. ECS said they would accept it back as a return. If the same thing happens then I will just replace the driver side with a similar axle and see if that fixes it.

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
At 750 you are better off with OEM axles. Too many mixed reviews on the cheaper aftermarket options to gamble at that power level. A good Indy shop near me has used the cheaper option on stock vehicles and several had issues from boots tearing to vibration. Some never had any problem. That shop now sends the oem axles out for rebuilding at 250 an axle. The owner of that shop knows my car and said no way to the cheaper option which sucks due to the big price tag on remanufactured oem.