xHP DCT Flashing

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
2011 135i N55 DCT GTX1000
Still want to know what happens when in neutral rev the car and you select up gear on the paddle on an M3
Also tried this. The paddles seem to do nothing while in neutral for me.
Maybe it starts with f series?

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Anyone with the XHP try VO code change to see if they have the M3 in their database?

Reactions: aus335iguy

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
I have a temp DME in so I don't want to purchase a license to just have to do it again once I get my real VIN updated in it. Sucks waiting.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Anyone with the XHP try VO code change to see if they have the M3 in their database?

Bought the flasher out of boredom. Every time it connects to the car, it says downloading stock map and has the full spec/VIN/car code/HW/region, etc. read. I don't know if that's permanently associated to the license or if it's reading live. I can maybe try changing VO tomorrow and see if it changes specs or tells me nice try.

What I can't find is any copy of the read out stock bin anywhere. The folder (data) timestamp indicates last written was around the correct time, but there's just a xhp.db3 file with an older stamp in it. I have hidden files shown.

Is anyone else getting any type of read out bin file they can access or is it just me/my file explorer?

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Sounds like it doesn’t save it only reads the ZB and may have a look up to see if there’s a newer version for that hardware ID. OR it reads it and compares it to the vehicle code and VO....

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Either way I think you can trick it. When you buy your licence only though. It’ll read your VIN and so ...

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
That's what I'm wondering, maybe the M3 VO needs to be in place when initially connecting to associate the car. That might mean waiting for the M version of XHP though if the current version won't accept it.

Not going to hurt to try changing now I don't think. If the car specs change in the app, it's probably just the VIN associated and it's not comparing against it for software, but there was a mention on their FAQ about needing to contact them for a license update even when replacing with the same type tranny, so I dunno what that's about.

Not sure where the bin is being stored and/or how it's being hidden, but it's driving me nuts. When I click the custom flash icon, it opens the explorer to select a file, but I have no starting file to tinker with lol

Probably a total waste of $226 as I don't need anything in it, but can at least check if the torques possibly correct some things that cause issues from the DME tuning side that generate really drawn out limiter 4s/crappy shifts.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
That's what I'm wondering, maybe the M3 VO needs to be in place when initially connecting to associate the car. That might mean waiting for the M version of XHP though if the current version won't accept it.

Not going to hurt to try changing now I don't think. If the car specs change in the app, it's probably just the VIN associated and it's not comparing against it for software, but there was a mention on their FAQ about needing to contact them for a license update even when replacing with the same type tranny, so I dunno what that's about.

Not sure where the bin is being stored and/or how it's being hidden, but it's driving me nuts. When I click the custom flash icon, it opens the explorer to select a file, but I have no starting file to tinker with lol

Probably a total waste of $226 as I don't need anything in it, but can at least check if the torques possibly correct some things that cause issues from the DME tuning side that generate really drawn out limiter 4s/crappy shifts.
It’s likely reading VIN from the TCU?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
One of them should do it, WinKFP probably, but maybe Tool32.

Lol I won't use that crap, barely use FB even. If it's not on a forum, I don't know about it.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Best I can describe it is that it’s like talking to someone in a room of 300 people and hearing all 150 conversations at once instead of the one you’re listening for... bah !

• Funny
Reactions: Benji335i and RSL

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I have the flasher module now. The features are nice but I can't really recommend it to anyone unless they are REALLY into their trans.

From my experimenting I've made some assumptions.
-It uses VIN to work out the correct ZB and not VO
-It generates a stock bin file that it places in "Internal Storage\Android\data\com.rbttuning.xhpflashtool\files\xHP Flashtool\Backups"
-It bases any OTS flash off your stock bin and not whatever ROM you flashed previously

It would be nice if xHP were more open about what they do rather than make us guess, it seems from the Whatsapp that a large portion of their userbase are people with odd hardware and software combinations. Makes sense as anyone willing to go to the lengths of buying new hardware and flashing software with WinKFP are also willing to spend €400 on torque limiters.

I'm curious about the flashing process though, it seems to take a while (10-12min with BG cable) so they are doing more than just flashing the data area. I wonder how recoverable a failed flash is, with MHD it seems almost impossible to brick the DME, not so sure with xHP if it does indeed do something in the boot sector.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I have the flasher module now. The features are nice but I can't really recommend it to anyone unless they are REALLY into their trans.

From my experimenting I've made some assumptions.
-It uses VIN to work out the correct ZB and not VO
-It generates a stock bin file that it places in "Internal Storage\Android\data\com.rbttuning.xhpflashtool\files\xHP Flashtool\Backups"
-It bases any OTS flash off your stock bin and not whatever ROM you flashed previously

It would be nice if xHP were more open about what they do rather than make us guess, it seems from the Whatsapp that a large portion of their userbase are people with odd hardware and software combinations. Makes sense as anyone willing to go to the lengths of buying new hardware and flashing software with WinKFP are also willing to spend €400 on torque limiters.

I'm curious about the flashing process though, it seems to take a while (10-12min with BG cable) so they are doing more than just flashing the data area. I wonder how recoverable a failed flash is, with MHD it seems almost impossible to brick the DME, not so sure with xHP if it does indeed do something in the boot sector.
Great info mate! Thanks

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
So do we think it’s using the vehicle code in the VIN to lookup ZB ? Is there a way to decode a vin to a VO?

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT

I have the license and map pack and directly flashed stg3 which took me about 1:30 - 2 mins. Wondering why your flash took so long.