XHP DCT - Experience Thread

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Had a nice test drive today in various conditions.

#1. Not a fan of normal drive mode but I get that it is supposed to be pretty tame

#2. Shifter in sport auto mode awesome
#3. Include sport mode and even better
#4. Include sport+ mode and even better still.

I am really pleased with everything overall. The upshift brrp, the downshift burbles, speed of shifts. I have to say I love my car again. Mostly my fault for always being in a state of "excuses" but these changes along with my recent Ohlins upgrades and I love it again.

If could have the M3 GWS it would be perfect.
Agreed. The only thing I tweak is the D shift maps to make them hold gears a little longer.

I don't get the appeal of the M3 GWS really, I think it looks like a butt-plug.

• Funny
Reactions: JohnDaviz

Grunt

Private
Jul 30, 2019
Lancaster, P
Ride
2011 335is
Not sure what is going on, but in the past week now with about 500 miles on the last update stg. 3, I've had a delay in shifting. It's happened in D mode with the sport button not on. In D mode with the sport button on and in manual mode with the sport button on. It has happened going from 2nd to 3rd, 5th to 6th and 6th to 7th, but not in that order. Each time the delay has only been a second or maybe two, but I find myself holding my breath as soon as I realize the shift was not immediate and it feels like 5 seconds... I'm going to reflash it when I'm home this evening and see if that may correct it. This has not happened before with the other maps, but has anyone else experienced this?

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
I think i have covered now also more than 500miles probably and also did a few laps on the nordschleife. Everything is working perfectly fine.

Hope you get it sorted.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Had a nice test drive today in various conditions.

#1. Not a fan of normal drive mode but I get that it is supposed to be pretty tame

#2. Shifter in sport auto mode awesome
#3. Include sport mode and even better
#4. Include sport+ mode and even better still.

I am really pleased with everything overall. The upshift brrp, the downshift burbles, speed of shifts. I have to say I love my car again. Mostly my fault for always being in a state of "excuses" but these changes along with my recent Ohlins upgrades and I love it again.

If could have the M3 GWS it would be perfect.
You guys really get an up shift brrrp? I read that in the xhp description but never heard it in my car. The only things that are clearly working for me are creep disable and no auto shift at redline. Things like shift speed, I feel like my stock flash were the same or better.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
You guys really get an up shift brrrp? I read that in the xhp description but never heard it in my car. The only things that are clearly working for me are creep disable and no auto shift at redline. Things like shift speed, I feel like my stock flash were the same or better.
I hear an up shift sound when giving a good chunk of load and shifting around 3k rpm. In this area it is really noticeable for my on the driver seat with the windows down. I really enjoy that "power" cruising with shifts in that rpm range.

Shift speeds are so different from stock. Alone in D-Mode with the Sport button pushed it is a different monster.

What i really don´t get and that very same issue is what zero to 60 has. I can change the rev limit like i want but it doesn´t change.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
I hear an up shift sound when giving a good chunk of load and shifting around 3k rpm. In this area it is really noticeable for my on the driver seat with the windows down. I really enjoy that "power" cruising with shifts in that rpm range.

Shift speeds are so different from stock. Alone in D-Mode with the Sport button pushed it is a different monster.

What i really don´t get and that very same issue is what zero to 60 has. I can change the rev limit like i want but it doesn´t change.
I would be lying if I didn’t say I am totally jealous. I get none of those things unfortunately.

are you using the stage 3 flash with factory settings?

wrt to rev limit, are you referring to the max rev limit while in manual mode? I also had an issue with my soft limiter kick in at 6400 RPM in manual mode which is much too early. The way I fixed the issue was to raise the rev limits in my engine tune using tuner pro. I basically made everything 7500 RPMs and now The software limit doesn’t kick in at 6400 anymore.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
I would be lying if I didn’t say I am totally jealous. I get none of those things unfortunately.

are you using the stage 3 flash with factory settings?

wrt to rev limit, are you referring to the max rev limit while in manual mode? I also had an issue with my soft limiter kick in at 6400 RPM in manual mode which is much too early. The way I fixed the issue was to raise the rev limits in my engine tune using tuner pro. I basically made everything 7500 RPMs and now The software limit doesn’t kick in at 6400 anymore.

May be you should delete the xhp completely and flash it again?

You don´t have different shift speeds between D-Mode and DSC/DTC off and full manual mode with sport button? If not, something really is wrong. Did you contact XHP support? You really need that. imho this and the max pressure increase are the key features.

I also tried increasing the rev limit in my dme tune. I will have a look into it again. May be i just should set it higher.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
yeah, i cant remember if i completely deleted it or not so that is worth a shot. I know have gone back to the stock dct flash to test the rev limit issue, and IIRC, that required uninstalling xhp. but i can try it again.

I have contacted xhp, and not trying to ask for too much, i only discussed the rev limit issue. That conversation pretty much went in circles. No clue why the rev limit issue shows up with their flash and not the stock dct flash, but I didnt bother reaching out to them on anything else once I figured out what i needed to change to get my car to run normal.

Yeah, i think the rev limit may kick in earlier than the value in the tables. I set mine to 7500, but i am sure it will kick in earlier than that. Setting it to 7500 allowed me to rev to an rpm similar to the stock DCT flash, which is around 6800ish.

With the stock DCT flash, i can absolutely tell a difference in shift speed between sport on and off, etc. With XHP, honestly, not really. Sometimes it feels like the shifts are the fastest just in normal D mode.

Last edited:

N54TT

Corporal
Jul 21, 2020
Ride
2013 335is
I have the upshift fart sound as well. The only thing I don't like about the Stage 3 flash is the down-shifts in normal D mode. It's way too harsh and unnecessary. Running Torque Punch @ 5 and Torque Reduction @ 500.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
The only thing I don't like about the Stage 3 flash is the down-shifts in normal D mode. It's way too harsh and unnecessary.

There are 1 or 2 things where you contact XHP with Feedback about potential improvements and you get the feeling of talking against a wall. They will tell you "this is how it should be. If you don´t like it, go Stage 2" and with the next Version, oh miracle, they worked and improved on that exact thing.
Just look within this thread and you will find this exact issue already in the past with the harsh downshifts.
But to be fair. For me, with v1.3 this issue is mostly gone. I have a strange downshift into 2nd (from 5th or 6th) once in a while when braking a bit harder but far away from an emergency brake.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I didn't know to expect the downshifts so it surprised me a bit that it did it.

Doesn't feel too harsh for me.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Isn’t there an option to adjust downshift rpm? I think it’s a percentage slider by gear.

I completely uninstalled xhp and reinstalled it last night. Hoping to go for a quick drive today and verify it fixes my issues.

Update:
Went for a drive, seems better tbh. I was on v1.2 apparently even though I had flashed 1.3 when it came out. I noticed the app indicated I was on version 1.2 before I uninstalled.

Shifting seems pretty good now. I am not sure about the brrrp so will take a video at some point. The one odd thing with my current Muffler, which is a 3.5 in. Straight through Magna-flow, is some of my favorite sounds kind of disappeared. The turbo whine out of the exhaust is gone and my back fires are much deeper and muffled.

The exhaust itself is deeper and quieter than my BMW PE so it’s possible I am not hearing the brrrp.

Overall, things seem to have improved so thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:

N54TT

Corporal
Jul 21, 2020
Ride
2013 335is
Does anyone know the factory torque reduction setting on the 335is DCT?

Asmo

Private
Aug 23, 2020
Anyone managed to bang the rev limiter without the trans upshift? I get to drift the car occasionally and upshifting when you dont want to can be dangerous.

Non M cars have max rpm option only for D and S. not for M(anual)

dctiS

Sep 15, 2021
hey guys long time reader some great infomation here i have 2011 bmw 335is dct FBO vargas frb-lites running a trebila bef. Rear end is i guess youd say FBO solid subframe bushings LSD etc.. been using the xhp stage 3 with default settings. xhp has done update for the custom maps for D and S wondering if anyone on here with similiar fbos has any settings recommendations to get the shifting a little more connected with the tune (snappy) lets say

thanks again