XHP DCT - Experience Thread

Grunt

Private
Jul 30, 2019
Lancaster, P
Ride
2011 335is
Dude! I didn´t EVER run D Mode with Sport button before. After your hint i did. WOW :D So much Fun! Amazing

@RayBan Can we please have an option with sliders or something where we can choose shift times for the different modes? I want the Shifting of D + Sport Button on normal D. It is so awesome!
Glad I could help out.🍻

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Attempting first ever connection with XHP. I am using the same bimmer geeks cable I use MHD and all my other connections to the DME.

The software won't connect after giving it the permission to use the USB port and troubleshooting options seem to be non existent.

any tips on where to look? I have rebooted (android - Samsung S10) and made sure MHD wasn't running.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Attempting first ever connection with XHP. I am using the same bimmer geeks cable I use MHD and all my other connections to the DME.

The software won't connect after giving it the permission to use the USB port and troubleshooting options seem to be non existent.

any tips on where to look? I have rebooted (android - Samsung S10) and made sure MHD wasn't running.
There isn't much to go wrong. I use both the bimmergeeks pro and expert cables without issue and there's no special procedure other than hitting connect.

You could try using the Windows release of xHP with a laptop instead.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Same device as MHD (i.e. the device+cable has worked for flashing before)? Ignition on, not acc? Long shot, but might check if USB is set to charge in developer options. If it is, try media transfer protocol instead.

Windows app works fine if all else fails.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Yep... I use this phone and cable with MHD.

I'll check out the windows version with the same cable and see what happens.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I will try again this evening. And I have a second cable to try too.

edit: Boo. same thing - 2 cables with windows and android app.

Last edited:

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I will try again this evening. And I have a second cable to try too.

edit: Boo. same thing - 2 cables with windows and android app.
We can solve this!

Do you have MHD installed on the Android and does it connect?

In Windows pull up Computer Management before connecting the cable. Plug the cable in and see if it shows up under Device manager as a COM port.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
We can solve this!

Do you have MHD installed on the Android and does it connect?

In Windows pull up Computer Management before connecting the cable. Plug the cable in and see if it shows up under Device manager as a COM port.
That's the real mystery here. My android phone works fine with the cable and MHD but XHP gets no connection.

On the PC, I use ncs expert and make sure I know the com port nbr and change the settings as needed to make it work. But XHP wont connect.

I don't see anywhere in Xhp settings to config anything like that.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
That's the real mystery here. My android phone works fine with the cable and MHD but XHP gets no connection.

On the PC, I use ncs expert and make sure I know the com port nbr and change the settings as needed to make it work. But XHP wont connect.

I don't see anywhere in Xhp settings to config anything like that.
Are you using JB4? If so turn it off to connect.
Here is the connection Document. https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wik...03/xHP+Flashtool+-+How+to+connect+to+your+car

If it's still not working, PM me and I can send you a Thor WiFi module.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
There was another cable fix update to the app a day or 2 after the first. Maybe they actually fixed it now.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I just increased torque punch on my tune so I had to reflash and it took me a solid 15 minutes of trying the cable and Wifi before the cable started to work.

I think what finally made it work was launching xHP with the cable connected and Wifi on, then after I was logged into the app turning on Airplane mode and then flashing.

Reactions: NoQuarter

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
My connection is working with the last update from xHP

Edit: I also tested the iCarly wifi adapter and as expected it is not detected by the xHP app.

Last edited:
Reactions: RSL and NoGuru

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Flashing xhp produced an error due to the M3 GWS. I didn't attempt to make it work with it and I didn't attempt to make it think it was an M3 by changing the VIN or anything like that.

I switched back to the stock GWS and the error is gone.

I left the kombi changes as they were for the M3 so at the moment I got this:

In Auto mode, I get no gear display in the kombi and I get an error symbol for the transmission. It seems to drive properly however.

In manual mode, I still have the nice gear display.

I will recode the kombi and get everything back to no errors.

Maybe... i will find the enthusiasm to try and get the m3 shifter to work. I do like the little shifter and the feel of it but at the moment the mhd flex fuel stage 2+ map and xhp stage 3 is brilliant.

Reactions: RSL and namsu2430

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Glad you got it working.

Strange it didn't like the M3 GWS. For me, I flashed the DCT to a 135 DCT tune so I could lower the launch control from the 335's 4500 down to 3500 prior to xHP. It still let me flash though.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Flashing xhp produced an error due to the M3 GWS. I didn't attempt to make it work with it and I didn't attempt to make it think it was an M3 by changing the VIN or anything like that.

I switched back to the stock GWS and the error is gone.

I left the kombi changes as they were for the M3 so at the moment I got this:

In Auto mode, I get no gear display in the kombi and I get an error symbol for the transmission. It seems to drive properly however.

In manual mode, I still have the nice gear display.

I will recode the kombi and get everything back to no errors.

Maybe... i will find the enthusiasm to try and get the m3 shifter to work. I do like the little shifter and the feel of it but at the moment the mhd flex fuel stage 2+ map and xhp stage 3 is brilliant.

You flashed the full M3 bin with XHP? Did you check the PST change option? I still have no idea what that's for.

I don't know why XHP would complain about the GWS for a flash at all.

Z4 and M3 have a lot in common for setup in the DCT bin, which is probably why it mostly works. 3 series with stock GWS+sport button needs some config changes in the M3 bin to work, in addition to FD without a driveline swap.

Kombi flashed as M on stock GWS is the source of the errors, the GWS pass the info differently.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I didn't flash an m3 bin. Just the OTS stage 3 for the Z4.

Xhp didn't care and flashed completely.

The error was afterwards and wouldn't stay clear with the m3 GWS.

With the stock GWS, the Kombi changes will sort out the display issues as you said.

Reactions: namsu2430 and RSL

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Had a nice test drive today in various conditions.

#1. Not a fan of normal drive mode but I get that it is supposed to be pretty tame

#2. Shifter in sport auto mode awesome
#3. Include sport mode and even better
#4. Include sport+ mode and even better still.

I am really pleased with everything overall. The upshift brrp, the downshift burbles, speed of shifts. I have to say I love my car again. Mostly my fault for always being in a state of "excuses" but these changes along with my recent Ohlins upgrades and I love it again.

If could have the M3 GWS it would be perfect.