XHP DCT - Experience Thread

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
@RayBan Can you say something about my creeping disabled experience? Do you need more input? Is it normal what I experience?

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
In Reverse the car definitely still creeps. D is fine with creeping like a snail (which is fine) but R is like before the flash.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
As said...it's normal. The trans takes over tq control during every single shift. Many times you will miss it, cause those MHD/JB4 logs are way to slow for shift-logging.
This is what causes DCT burble on other cars but isnt as prevalent on BMW N54 DCTs. Its designed to make the shift smoother but it does so at the expense of the clutches. The shorter the shift and the lower the intervention the better.

edit per Kens comments this is incorrect

Last edited:
Regarding " Tq Limit Active 4 ": Thats normal during shift.

TQ Limit 4 is not normal during shift. There is a bug in the IJE0S and INA0S ROM that causes torque limit 4 on shift when you change the boost ceiling from 1.28 bar. For this reason all new MHD OTS maps remain 1.28 bar because it causes shift delay on the DCT cars. We can have @jyamona look into why, but I want to be clear that torque limit 4 is not normal. I'm personally running up to 30 psi with my Z4 35is, I do not have torque limit 4 on shift because I keep my boost ceiling at 1.28 bar and scale with a 5 bar sensor to achieve a 40 psi boost target (ceiling).

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
So Ken if it’s not that one can you please point out which one of the torque limiters is normal for shift intervention?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Also I take it you excluded IKMOS DCT because it’s not a common configuration or is it not a problem on IKMOS DCT?

sb335is

Nov 23, 2019
Ride
335is
I flashed my car today, went straight to stage 3 and disabled the creep. It does not creep for me either in D or R.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
What’s your peak boost John ?

18psi but I don´t think that this is relevant.
I never had Tq Limit Active 4 occurred during my custom tunes.
Now found it with xhp the first time in one log. I shifted at 3k Rpm and torque actual dropped from 380 to 183.

@carabuser
You stated that stock tq reduction on your z4 is 175. Can you tell if this also is the case on a 335i / is?
I got the tq lim 4 when tq actual dropped from 380 to 183. That is a tq reduction of 197.
During the log I set tq reduction to 300 within the xhp flash settings. Could it be that this may be the reason for the event?

How was it in your log when it happened?

Last edited:

Angrycrad

Jul 12, 2020
Nice write up. I wasn't sure at 1st. Now it's settled it's definetly running and putting power down even better. I've shredded my tyres tho standard ps4 size on 18s 255. N55 dct running about 380brake 470 torque. And there's a couple of things. Minor I can't get rid of the kick down. But it's awesome. Manual feels alot more like manual for a auto box. Won't change up.or down on its own and it's aggressive but still smooth sometimes i still get the mild jerk but I may need to change from 500 tq reduction. I've been driving mostly M/sports/dsc off. And it's kicking out and just brutal. It's almost like it's so fast on the gear change it's constantly on the boost. This is with stage3.

Update on this. Just changed the tyres and it's getting grip again that's obviously having an effect to the kick out on the back and getting power down. Definetly feels abit quicker but not so fun any more ha ha. But I really don't remember doing this on any other tyres. Same tyres same car aswell. Been great fun. Mixture of the mhd/xhp

Attachments

• 20200720_161950.jpg
    20200720_161950.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200720_174937.jpg
    20200720_174937.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 48

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I've uploaded the page about DME torque limits. Props to RSL for pointing it out to me.

Tq Limit 4 appears on the stock tune during shifts so is not purely the results of a non stock configuration and from looking at the definition in the "Funktionsdokumentation" it looks clear that torque limits are part of normal operation. It may also be an issue with the boost ceiling but for all my experiences my ceiling has been kept at 1.28 and I don't use any scaling so my peak target boost is pegged at 18.5PSI~.

Tq Limits are normal during certain shifts and depend entirely on the shift scenario. As you can see in the PDF there's limit values for stability control, traction control, gearshift up and down, shift down to prevent stall, rev limit, speed limit, temperature limits and plenty more I can't discern from German acronyms.

Regarding limit 4 being normal during WOT shifts on tuned cars. I have a huge heap of logs that show when reporting torque closer to stock (700nm and below at my level) during a WOT shift torque limit 4 is active but when reporting above 700nm torque limit 4 is almost never seen. I certainly agree with Clemens that sometimes the tq limit signal is too fast for the 10Hz MHD logging but not sure I agree that it is always active. And when reporting torque at stock levels the limit can be active for 2 MHD scans which is something I never see at higher reported torque.

Reported torque also has an influence on timing pulls in the DME outside of shift scenarios but I have no way of monitoring the status words as I can't find their RAM addresses in INA0S. For example if you keep your DCT in manual and in a high gear and try going anywhere over 50% pedal below 3k you'll notice the engine pulls a load of timing but only if you report higher than stock torque levels. I found the tables in the DME responsible for this and just zeroed them out and the problem goes away.

Here's some logs. I was testing the timing limit tables on boost onset so there's a few things going but you can see what I typically see with torque limit 4 only being active with lower reported torque:
Low torque: https://datazap.me/u/rich/v175?log=0&data=3-5-22-26-27-28&solo=27&zoom=91-172
Higher torque: https://datazap.me/u/rich/v173?log=0&data=3-6-22-26-27-28&solo=27

Attachments

• Torque Limits.pdf
    71.7 KB · Views: 85

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
TQ Limit 4 is not normal during shift. There is a bug in the IJE0S and INA0S ROM that causes torque limit 4 on shift when you change the boost ceiling from 1.28 bar. For this reason all new MHD OTS maps remain 1.28 bar because it causes shift delay on the DCT cars. We can have @jyamona look into why, but I want to be clear that torque limit 4 is not normal. I'm personally running up to 30 psi with my Z4 35is, I do not have torque limit 4 on shift because I keep my boost ceiling at 1.28 bar and scale with a 5 bar sensor to achieve a 40 psi boost target (ceiling).

hey Ken.does this apply to 98G0B n55 dct cars?

hey Ken.does this apply to 98G0B n55 dct cars?

@Sbrach would know more about the codes that show up on the E series N55, but you also have three channels to monitor where n54 is only one. I could be completely wrong, but I do know that my car doesn't report a torque limit active value 4 on shift, but I do have torque reduction on shift from the TCU. Hopefully @jyamona can't provide a logical explanation.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Checked through my logs and toque limiters do appear sometimes on shifts but don’t seem to coincide with boost being 1.28bar or higher

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
He's talking about increased boost ceiling, not actual boost. It's a completely separate problem specific to DCT on any rom (N54 at least). No one runs over 1.28 bar/7FFF hex ceiling on DCT because it's a known issue.

Raising ceiling causes cuts to just about everything at once for an extended time on full request shifts. Not really clear, but imagine limiter 4 on it is likely in response to the condition, not the cause. Normal limiter 4 that everyone probably really means, you wouldn't even know existed without specifically logging it, but can be eliminated with DME tuning, as said.