XClutch Twin Disc Review & Installation (6MT N54)

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Around the same as mine now, yeah mine is real quiet but you can hear it if you listen for it.

I've got the carbon fibre shaft so that stops a lot of it too.

You can use the factory one but the are weak especially with a heavier flywheel, I've tried with my previous clutch and the factory thrust bearing almost fell apart when we took it out.

Lucien316

Private
Jan 28, 2021
With the stock dmfw and solid aluminum trans and motor mounts, I had very minimal added NVH. As soon as I got rid of the dmfw, however, the NVH was unbearable and the clutch was engagement was absolutely horrendous. After switching back to oem mounts, the NVH quieted down a good bit, and the clutch got better, but is still no bueno for a DD.
Hey I know this is a random comment but I just ordered dif bushings, motor mount, trans, and rear subframe bushing. Plus I’m considering a ceramic x twin but hear it just sucks. Not sure if I should swap bushings or what kind, or if to go organic. Thx. Suggestions would be appreciated.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
How much power? And what's your application? The organic can hold a fair bit.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
The ceramic is honestly pretty easy to drive. I have my idle at either 1050 or 1150 rpm. Tough at first, but once it's broken in, I can just let the pedal out slowly to take off. It's aggressive, but nothing to be concerned about imo. I got the ceramic because you're not supposed to launch the organic.

I have revshift green motor mounts, akg trans cups with stiffer rubber mounts, stock rear end currently. Have solid subframe bushing waiting to go in.

Lucien316

Private
Jan 28, 2021
The ceramic is honestly pretty easy to drive. I have my idle at either 1050 or 1150 rpm. Tough at first, but once it's broken in, I can just let the pedal out slowly to take off. It's aggressive, but nothing to be concerned about imo. I got the ceramic because you're not supposed to launch the organic.

I have revshift green motor mounts, akg trans cups with stiffer rubber mounts, stock rear end currently. Have solid subframe bushing waiting to go in.
Shawn at Dynamic Autowerx said organic was enough but having a hard time finding one. Someone told me to go back to stock 1M bushing or the nvm would be terrible…

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Organic should work fine, unless you are Thor with your clutch. Not sure what bushings you ordered for various and sundry. For trans can not recommend Rogue Engineering solid rubber bushings enough. Stout compared to stock, rubber so nvh is good.

Reactions: Lucien316

Lucien316

Private
Jan 28, 2021
Organic should work fine, unless you are Thor with your clutch. Not sure what bushings you ordered for various and sundry. For trans can not recommend Rogue Engineering solid rubber bushings enough. Stout compared to stock, rubber so nvh is good.
I’ll try to source an organic. Just spirited driving and maintenance. That’s what the bushings are for.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
If spirited driving and maintenance, I'd reconsider poly everywhere. That doesn't go to a good place.

• Agree
Reactions: ShocknAwe

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
So basically you’d go oem, even subframe? Heard solid subframe was not bad.

Solid metal subframe bushings = no NVH. This is what modern m cars have iirc. Everyone should do it.

Solid metal diff bushings = diff whine, but I don't mind, others may not. Very noticeable on the highway. I hear poly is not as bad? M3 no NVH.

Solid transmission bushings = significant NVH

Rogue Black Rubber Transmission bushings = Perfect imo.

Revshift green motor mounts = firm but good, little NVH. Don't melt on ST. Might melt on twins? Use the thermal sock included and loctite it.

This is my experience. This is the way.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ShocknAwe

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
This is my experience. This is the way.

I think this generally reflects a lot of peoples' experiences as well. I run the 80a Revshift and generally happy. Some times there can be a bit of vibration at idle, but not always. I'm manual. It's so little I've not raised idle.

@Torgus you didn't mention what you do at the diff (for completeness sake).

Reactions: Torgus

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I'm on organic xclutch, OE motor mounts with the aluminum reinforcement plates, RE trans mounts, OE diff mounts, and solid aluminum RSFB.

I have some vibration at 2k. Otherwise it's just some drone from my exhaust.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
@Torgus you didn't mention what you do at the diff (for completeness sake).
Solid metal diff bushings = diff whine, but I don't mind, others may not. Very noticeable on the highway. I hear poly is not as bad? M3 no NVH.
For the rear diff I run Turner solid to be specific: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-...ts-solid-aluminumdelrin-race-e82-e9x-f22-f3x/

Same with my RSFB: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-...hingsmount-set-turner-solid-aluminum-e82-e9x/ <-- I swear there is ZERO NVH I noticed. Unlike the solid diff kit which gives me plenty of diff whine. Certain modern BMWs come with solid SFB from the factory. They would not do this is it caused any NVH that a customer would notice.

With my manual and the SMFW I never drive below 2k. Lots of vibration and kind of bogs down.

Last edited:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The 1m you want solid diff bushing and not subframe especially under high power to stop snapping diff bolts, even with upgraded ones at 630rwhp I was snapping them every couple of months.

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I'm on organic xclutch, OE motor mounts with the aluminum reinforcement plates, RE trans mounts, OE diff mounts, and solid aluminum RSFB.

How's the driveability after and before break in? Just got my organic twin disk X clutch with revshift 80a trans mounts in. Going to install them soon.

Reactions: Torgus

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Hey I know this is a random comment but I just ordered dif bushings, motor mount, trans, and rear subframe bushing. Plus I’m considering a ceramic x twin but hear it just sucks. Not sure if I should swap bushings or what kind, or if to go organic. Thx. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Park Auto Motorsports is where i got my clutch from. Just delivered yesterday. Although they are a canadian company and i don't exactly know how duties work coming into the states.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
How's the driveability after and before break in? Just got my organic twin disk X clutch with revshift 80a trans mounts in. Going to install them soon.
Not stock first gear but like stock 2-6. First I have to feather or let out slowly, or give it like 2-3k Revs and giddyup. I do a lot of 2nd gear traffic starts, caveat being I have a 3.46 FD clutch diff.

Lucien316

Private
Jan 28, 2021
The 1m you want solid diff bushing and not subframe especially under high power to stop snapping diff bolts, even with upgraded ones at 630rwhp I was snapping them every couple of months.
So you drive a 1M? I ordered rogue trans bushings. You’re saying you have a solid dif bushings but oem rsbf? What about engine mount, and trans for you? A rep at AGK told me the trans, and motor mount have to be same stiffness, and well as dif and subframe. I was actually thinking going stock everything but rogue trans. I’m going for 700whp.